SVS Ultra Tower Speakers Contest—ENTER NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
1. Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.

Home Theater 7.2: Panasonic 50" Plasma 1080p, Onkyo TX-NR809, Emotiva XPA-3, APC H15, SA HD DVR, Portly PS3, Seagate 3TB HD, Aperion Grand Verus Towers, Verus Grand Center, Verus Grand Bookshelves (what a waste to be used as rear speakers as I have had these in my music system before...too bad Aperion doesn't make a Grand Verus surround speaker), Verus Forte Satellites, SVS PB12 Plus (Sledge) X 2, BJC and Monoprice cables

Music 2.2: Media Monkey via digital optical to Emotiva XDA-1 (full volume) to Emotiva USP-1 to Emotiva UPA-1 X 2 powering Emptek E41 and Crown XLS1500 in conjunction with MiniDSP powering DIY Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 X 2, APC H15, BJC and Monoprice cables

Work Office 2.0: JBL LSR 2325P and Audioengine D1

2. Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?

My theater is 11' wide x 19' long x 8' tall. There is one door sized opening to my kitchen. No room treatments other than wall-to-wall carpeting.

My Computer audio room is 9' x 9.5' with one small closet and wall-to-wall carpeting.

3. How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?

I have loved listening to music since I was an adolescent and can remember getting a red boom box when I was six and playing Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" on tape over and over again until my Aunt had had enough and told me to turn it off.

I bought my first Surround Sound system when I was 16 with money I had earned from my job. A Sony AVR and Bose speakers. I was pretty proud of that back then.

4. What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V?

I wouldn't by any means consider myself an expert. But I have learned a great deal and most of what I know from this forum in the last couple of years. I spend a couple of hours at minimum perusing this site daily even though I don't post much.

5. Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.

I have not, but look forward to doing so.

6. Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?

I'm a single guy with a free-standing home and no obligations other than my job. I play movies at reference level at all hours of the night and I've never had any complaints from my neighbors. I own a calibrated OmniMic and am pretty familiar with REW.

I'm also trying really hard to talk myself into getting the Oppo BDP-105 and what would be better than checking out some new speakers as well at the same time? (I'm reaching hard here, but those Ultra towers sure would look nice sitting next to the dual piano PB12's)

I sent my brother to RMAF with the explicit intent of checking these speakers out for me since he lives in Denver and I was unable to attend.

I also happen to notice the SVS Ultra pricing is eerily similar to the Aperion Grand Verus line. How about a shootout? :)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.

Marantz SR 6003 powering the surrounds, and acting as a preout for the mains.
Crown XLS2000 powering the mains.
2X Philharmonic Audio Model 2, set to small and crossed over at 80hz
DIY 18 inch sub, XBL^2 motor with an AlCu shorting ring, 18hz fs, qtc = 0.55 refrigerator with a 2500 watt amplifier. They are placed about 3-4 feet from the front wall and side walls.
4X EMP E5Bi Surrounds
A 46" Panasonic Plasma

I've also got a pair of EMP E55Tis upstairs, which represent one "step down" in cost compared to the SVS speakers. They are powered by a Tapco J2500 amp, although their setup is more makeshift overall.

For a source, I prefer to rip CDs etc to my laptop so that I can play them without disk spinning noise. That just HDMI's to the receiver pretty well.

Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?

This room is open behind the listener and a hallway beside the listener, but mostly symmetrical. There is a gypsum wall to the left and a window to the right. General dimensions are around 16-17 ft wide and 10 feet tall. Since the floor is carpetted and the couches cover some good space, I'd probably classify it as a deader-than-live, but not exactly dead or boring room. I wouldn't mind some diffusers and maybe hardwood floors, but funds don't permit.

How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?

Got my first pair of Sennheisers maybe... 8 years ago? I really don't know exactly how long ago it was. I don't know if I would really call myself an "HT" afficionado, although I meticulously set up this system for my video games and music.

What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V?

That's a subjective question and I don't really know what the answer is. I suspect my system sounds as good as any out there, but who knows? I maybe don't have the sheer critical evaluation skills of guys like TLS Guy and Dennis Murphy, but I still generally have a feel for what I expect to hear and when systems are doing something critically wrong.

Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.

This is about it:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/write-your-own-review/71464-minidsp-box-balanced-2x4.html

Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?

I believe I have pretty decent technical understanding, writing skills, and I do have a measurement mic (no go on impedance measurements though, as I just don't have the 100 bucks for a dayton DATS. I also have a pretty decent camera. Let's see.. I'm also pretty obsessive compulsive and I've messed around with passive crossover sims before, so I can comment on those details as well. Finally.. admit it... everyone wants to see a GranteedEV Review. You just do.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

schroedk

Audiophyte
Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.

Dedicated theater:
Oppo BDP-103
PS3
Xbox 360
WDTV
Roku 3
Squeezebox Touch
Jolida tube DAC
Denon 4311ci
McIntosh MC-402 stereo amp
Sunfire Signature Seven 7-channel amp
JVC RS-55
Revel Ultima2 Salon2 fronts
Revel Ultima2 Voice2 center
Definitive Technology BPZ/A side surrounds
Definitive Technology UIW75 rear surrounds
Dual Epik Empire subs along front wall
Dual Rythmik F15 subs in rear corners

Secondary Family Room system:
Oppo BDP-83
PS3
Xbox 360
Squeezebox Touch
WDTV
Roku 3
Apple TV
Pioneer 151 Kuro
Onkyo 805
Sunfire Cinema Grand amp
Avalon Symbol Fronts and center channel
Definitive Technology BPX surrounds

Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?

Dedicated room, approx. 16' x 18' x 10', with one standard doorway approx. 2/3 back along the left wall when facing the screen. GIK acoustic panels, including 4 bass traps in corners, absorbers at first reflection points of front speakers, absorber/diffuser panels along front/back walls, and entire ceiling with 4" thick absorber ceiling tiles.

First began hobby during college in approx. 1993 while working with audio tech at University of Colorado athletic department, slowly built up/replaced components as experience and funds became available. System in constant flux, but far less frequently in the past 2-3 years.

Not professional-installer level, but designed and wired/installed all components in my dedicated room. Construction was performed by a friend knowledgeable in construction per my specs (double-drywall with GG, riser height, etc.). I would classify myself as knowledgeable DIY'er.

Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.

No.

Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?

Have extensive experience with varied equipment/speaker brands/manufacturers, including but not limited to JBL, Definitive Technology, SVS, Outlaw Audio, Epik, Rythmik, McIntosh, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Avalon, and Sunfire.

B

bjski

Audiophyte
bjski

Home theater:Onkyo Preamp SC5508, Bryston 9BSST/2 amp, Denon DBT 2500 transport,Axiom MV80V3 front,Definitive BP6 rear channel,,Legacy Silverscreen HD,Bryston interconnects,Morrow speaker cables,Wadia 170,Sony XBR 52,Earthquake sub MKV-15,Monster 2000 power conditioner

Man cave Bryston 7BSST/2,Bryston BDC-1,Bryston BDA-1,Bryston BDP-1,BHA-1,Bryston Bit-20,Bat-32SE,Legacy Focus SE,GIK Bass traps,diffusers, HIFIMan-500,Sennhieser 650HD, Shure 535,iqube,Nuforce Dac headphone amp,Morrow Grand reference 6 interconnects. Bryston speaker cables bi-wired

Denon 3311,Paradigm Model 9,CC-300,AR surrounds,Sony 40 inch TV,H/K blue Ray player

Harman Kardon,Polk bookshelf, Sony bvlue ray player

B/W Zeppelin

I prefer to rip CD to HD Flac or I download HD Flac. My home theater blue-ray or TV.

My room is 20x16 with an opening on the right side going into the kitchen.
No room treatments because of the WAF.

I got my first stereo 42 years ago. Fisher receiver and BIC speakers and a Thorens turntable. I set up my first home theater system in 1990. My home theater is more dictated by my wife than myself. I can purchase the equipment but she agrees on the set up.

I have knowledge of high end hometheater. The bryston amp is fantastic while the Onkyo pre-amp is a step below official high end but still better than most receivers. My speaker's could be upgraded in my home theater system yet I do have the man cave as a reference system.

Never performed any reviews other than helping my friends chose a system. I would be able to review the SVS speaker's and compare them to speakers that are high end to others that are mid-fi along with receivers and high end electronics.. MY system's give me the knowledge of how quality speakers should sound. I'm also retired so I have the time for a proper review. (If only I had a pair of SVS SB13-Ultra)

A

Alfred143

Audiophyte
1) Martin Logan ESL VISTA (Main), Magnepan MGW (rear), Martin Logan Encore TF (Center), Rel T7 sub, Macintosh MC126 amp, NAD M15 processor, Musical Fidelity X10D buffer (main ch) w/ NOS, Monster Power 5000, Oppo 93, Bi-wired TARA LABS , & 55 Inch Sony Gorilla Glass EX850 3D TV.

2)Room approx 21 ft X 15 ft., use foam on the wall behind the TV and lower corner of the sub., full carpet.

3) Been enjoying it for about 22 years.

4)My expertise, to be modest, would be above the average consumer.
I do subscribe to a few Audiophile magazines, I like to keep up-to-date, with the newest gear and audio formats. I try to do audio Demos at local stereo boutiques to keep me in tune to changing speaker designs.

5) No I have not yet, but hope to do so in the near future.

6) I have a passion for anything audio. I appreciate good recordings in order for any speaker to perform at its best. Not an audio snob, but an 'audioholic' that loves great sound! :)

Cheers!

D

dbdecoteau

Audiophyte
1. Current home theatre:
Pioneer KURO Pro-101FD 50" Plasma
Anthem D1 preamp
Anthem P2 & P5 amplifiers
Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Grand main speakers
Vienna Acoustics Maestro Grand center channel speaker
Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand used for surround channels
Vienna Acoustics Waltz Grand rear speakers
Velodyne DD15 subwoofer
JL Audio F113 Fathom subwoofer
Oppo BDP83 blu-ray player
Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI cd/dvd player
Panamax M5500EX Power Conditioner
Pure i-20 iPad/iPhone dock

2. Evaluation Room:
16'x16' room with a vaulted ceiling and knee wall that opens up to a dining room. The other 3 walls consist of 1 solid wall, 1 wall with 2 windows and 1 wall with 2 windows and a fireplace. I am not utilizing any room treatments.

3. How long have I been a music & HT aficionado?
Ever since my dad brought home a Pioneer SX-1010 receiver, some JBL speakers and an Akai reel to reel tape deck way back in 1976. I was 15 years old and thought I had died and gone to heaven! Thanks Dad!

4. Level of expertise.
I think I have a good understanding of the products I'm using. I pretty much experiment with everything (settings, placement, etc.) to find the right sound (to MY ears). Been doing it for a long time and have enjoyed every minute of it.

5. Previous equipment user reviews?
No.

6. Anything else?
Nope. I'm just another guy who's addicted to audio & video, trying to find the right balance of quality, availability and cost.

C

cstory

Audiophyte
1. Current Home Theater
Speakers-Martin Logan Vista LR, Martin Logan Stage Center, Mirage Omnipolars surround, SVS PC-Ultra and SVS PC Ultra 13 Subwoofers.
Electronics-Marantz AV-8003 Pre-Pro, Rotel RMB-100 monoblocks for LR, Emotiva XPA-100 for Center, GAS Grandson for surrounds.
Disc Players-OPPO-BDP-83, Sony SCD-C555ES
Streaming Device-Squeezebox Touch
Projector-Sony VPL-VW60 (Black Pearl) 92" Stewart Firehawk Screen
Turntable-Project Debut with Grado Gold Cartridge

2. Room-L-Shaped basement with speakers firing down 16ftx30ft leg, with irregular shaped shorter portion of the L that includes stairs and closet etc, off to the right near the screen wall side of room. 4-GIK 244 bass traps are used. Two behind LR speakers and two in opposite wall corners. Acoustic tile drop ceiling. Outside wall (left side of room) has slider and two windows coverd with heavy drapes. CD/DVD storage on wall opposite slider, cement block walls and floor except for wall with slider and windows.

Secondary living room system upstairs-
Selah Audio Grandure Speakers, Marantz SR5600 Receiver, Sony 46" XBR-8 TV, PS3, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player, Squeezebox.
Open floor plan space with Kitchen/living room 30ftx20ft, L-shapped.

3. How long have I been a music and home theater aficionado?
I really got serious about it in 1978 when I bought my first pair of Magnepan's (MGI's). I don't change equipment a lot. I used to be an early adopter, Betamax, Laserdisc, Sony DVP-7000, Minidisc, but now tend to be a bit more cautious about new stuff.

4. I have never done any formal reviewing.

5. What would make me a good candidate for the review?
I have a lot of different ways I can configure and test a pair of speakers. I definitely like a neutral detailed presentation and like to listen deep into the recordings for the inner parts. And I could stop by SVS and pick up the speakers to save on shipping. :)

Regards,

Chuck
Grand River, OH

Last edited:
D

DarkTactics

Audiophyte

My speaker collection is a mix of craigslist deals, estate sale hunting, and a few purchases direct from the manufacturer. It's been a crazy journey with a vast array of speakers including a variety of the following: Paradigm, SVS, HSU, Klipsch, Velodyne, Bose, and PSB. In the end, I've regretted some sales, made some amazing deals, and am extremely happy with my current home theater, but have always had the bug to keep exploring the world of speakers.

Home Theater (5.1):
  • Yamaha RX-V463 - (Receiver)
  • Epson 8100 Projector - (Display)
  • Definitive Technology BP7002's - (L/R & LFE)
  • Definitive Technology CLR2500 - (Center)
  • SVS SBS-01 - (L/R Rears)
  • SVS SB13-Plus - (Subwoofer)

Pictures:

Music System (2.0):
  • Marantz SR5007 - (Receiver)
  • Infinity Overture III's - (2 Channel)
  • Infinity Prelude MTS's - (Alternate 2 Channel - No subwoofers)

Family Room:
  • Yamaha RX-V463 - (Receiver)
  • Definitive Technology BP8040st - (C/LFE)
  • Definitive Technology SM65's - (L/R)

The room is 16x20 with 2 small openings. 1 doorway leads to the kitchen, while another on the opposite side of the room along the same wall opens to the master bedroom. The walls are reinforced with extra sound deadening, but no other room treatments.

I have been fascinated by speakers and electronics all my life, but did not find my love for music and speakers until my father brought home an Advent 10" Powered subwoofer when I was about 14. I remember listening and being amazed by the low frequencies and air being moved out the port. In college, the hobby started to grow as I began to look for deals and work my way up from a Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media computer speaker set. In total, I have been active for about 10 years.

I have an Engineering degree from Purdue University, and understand the technical aspects of A/V and electronics. I am constantly reading and gathering any knowledge I can about higher quality systems and techniques. I would rate myself as proficient, but not an expert. I believe I would fall into the majority of people who engage in online forums like audiogon, avsforums, etc.

I have not performed any equipment reviews on Audioholics or any other forums.

I suppose at some point you have to sell yourself a bit, right? I've achieved a great deal at my young age and have been extremely successful on many different facets of life. Whether it be the project plans that describe and support hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of purchases, or my engineering of infrastructure services that support 70,000 employees (and millions of customers) I like to set the bar extremely high for myself and exceed expectations. I get no greater satisfaction than doing something productive, helping peers and others, and creating something great. I'm really excited about the opportunity to use my talents, expertise, and experiences to write a review about a new line of speakers that will provide valuable feedback for people looking to purchase. I have a variety of equipment that will allow me to produce high quality images and 1080P HD video in my review.

Overall, I believe I would provide a comprehensive review for the conventional and average buyer in an environment that most people would use the speakers in.

Last edited:

mookie

Audiophyte
SVS, NO or YES

Question Number One - My current system is in it's fifth itineration consisting of the following; McIntosh MX-121 Preamp/Processor, MC - 8207 Seven
Channel Amplifier, Oppo 95 DVD Player, pair of Martin-Logan Vista front channel towers, Motif center channel, pair of ML Motion 4's
for side channel, pair of Motion 2's for the rear, two Def Tech 4000 Cubes for front subs, one Def Tech 2000 for the rears, an old
Denon Tuner to relive my innocent days, a Belkin power conditioner and about 1200 bucks in various cables and connectors.

Question Number Two - My listening room/family room/HT room is about 20 X 24 with no particular efforts to purposely create a better listening room.
I have a lovely bride of 30 plus years who's kindness in allowing me to feed my audio addiction has been stretched to the
(reasonable) limit and therefore her mastery of our domicile decorating would not be tested by yours truly. It opens in the
rear into the kitchen and has a set of french doors going out into a sunroom and another door to the liliputian laundry room.

Question Number Three - I have been an audio addict/fan/phile for close to 40 years. It began with my father installing a Fisher tube amplifier,
a pair of AR 2's (I still remember him lying on his back feet sticking out of the family room closet uttering fatherly epithets
as he ran AC light cord as speaker wire). My older brother then became a rep for TEAC, ESS Speakers and other audio
accessories. When I entered the halls of academia I kept up with the hobby in the nickel and dime way college students
do holding onto a Sansui 3030 Receiver, a pair of ESS towers and a Pioneer 518 Turntable listening to YES and the Steve
Miller Band. In addition, when the money ran out and college had to wait, I found gainful employment selling audio from
my undergraduate years in New Jersey at Sam Goodys to graduate school at a couple of small audio stores in Eugene, OR.

Question Number Four - Appealing to that odd combination of humility and honesty, my expertise has gone from quite sophisticated in repairing
some of the units that came into stores I worked at (this was when 2 channels were it and we all gawked and pointed
at LED displays as the Australopithicenes gathered around the monolith in "2001") to strictly peripheral when I entered
the contemporary world of multichannel/DAC/complicated input options. I have flashed back many times to my father
as I found myself sweating over connecting spaghetti collections of balanced RCA's, HDMI's and 7.1 RCA's and uttering
the same profanities. I have gone the full spectrum to installing systems for others to calling McIntosh begging for help.

Question Number Five - No, I have not done any previous reviews for this site. I look forward to the opportunity as I have accrued many years
of pleasure, albums, cassettes, CD's, minidiscs, DVD-A's, SACD's, singing in the shower and spending far too much money for that ever pursued last 10%.

Question Number Six - As previously stated there is a wealth of experience on both sides of the register as well as an appreciation of the unique
combination of science, technology and art that audio uniquely combines. I believe there are three human endeavors that
I continue to find give hope for the human condition; pursuit of knowledge/truth (guilty, middle school/high school teacher),
physical endeavors that lead to self-improvement (guilty, long time coach of many sports) and the creation of music.
And since four years of playing trumpet as a kids taught me I was a lousy musician it did help lead me to a life long love
of music and an appreciation of how technology has allowed us to enjoy it on a continuing rising plane.

Thank you for your time,

Dan Schwartz

Last edited:
T

Tinear

Audiophyte
1. Current HT Set up-

Anthem D2 Pre/Pro
Oppo BDP 95
Wyred4sound SX 1000 Mk11 main amps
Emotiva MLS 5 channel amps
Magneplanar MMG LR speakers
Martin Logan Stage Center channel
MMG Surrounds RL
Axiom Rear Q8 (2)rear
Axiom EP 500 subs (2)
Axiom XLR cables to LR
Better Cables for surround and center
Mapleshade Footers and Maple blocks for everything

2. Room dimensions
16x16x8
Carpeted with tube traps and large Auralex corner traps and wall rug

3. How long an audiophile

I've been involved with hi fidelity reproduction since 1954 building my first mono corner speaker which was made by GE. (how times have changed) and have remained a sound groupy ever since auditioning more equipment than I can remember though my first love was the AR3 along with Radio Shack electrostatic tweeters placed on top. (yes, you read that right) and have out lived many audio reviewers.

4. Level of expertise.

I would say "high" as I used to sell high end audio at "DB Audio" in Berkeley. Ca in the 70's and have owned and installed so many systems I can't remember them all.

5. Reviews on Audioholic.

I've left reviews on "Audioreview" and "Amazon" but can't recall anything on Audioholics.

6.Reason for applying.

I haven't found a speaker, yet, that moved me as much as those AR3's and Radio Shack Electrostatic tweeters. Hi Fidelity Audio is a life long adventure and I'm proof positive of that. I'm joining this contest hoping the new SVS towers will add to that joy.

M

movinginstereo

Enthusiast
Vinyl Girl

Pioneer VSX-D514 5.1 receiver
Pair of Optimus STS-830 3-way speakers on stands
SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer (on order)
Toshiba D-R400 DVD/CD player
Audio-Technica AT PL-50 phonograph
Sony Wega KV-24FS100 Trinitron TV

Approx. 1,100-sqft open floor plan with wood/tile floors and vaulted ceilings. No room treatments in use.

As a kid in the early 80's, I cycled through lots of used speakers and tube-based receivers, 8-track players, tape players, phonographs, etc. My current setup doesn't come anywhere close to producing the richness of sound that came out of that vintage equipment. I have no interest in home theater, but rather a setup that will authentically express the music in my vinyl collection. While it's great to be impressed by how articulate a stereo system sounds or to notice some subtle contribution from an instrument, what I'm looking for is a system that disappears, silently and invisibly connecting the music and the listener.

I'm an engineer/physicist and acoustics hobbyist. I understand the acoustics side (mostly from the Master Handbook of Acoustics and setting up a home recording studio). I attend the Rocky Mountain Audiofest each year. I really am interested in great audio gear.

No.

I care a lot about music. I've taken very good care of my ears (no abuse and religious use of earplugs), so I'd like to think my hearing is still pretty good. Also, while I don't think an acoustics background is necessary to evaluate the quality of stereo speakers, it probably wouldn't hurt. I were to write a review, it would be well-researched and thought out. I'd probably learn a lot.

T

twylight

Audioholic Intern
  • Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.

I have a dedicated HT all the greatest toys in it like SVS subwoofers as well as a DENON avr4311ci, oppo 105, emotiva amps, and an xbox 360...all shooting on a JVC RS15 with a 120" fixed screen.

• Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
My dedicated HT room is a SEALED 14.5 x 21.0 x 9 foot room. The ceiling slightly tapers and I have GIK bass traps, absorbers and diffusers in the room.

• How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
20 years

• What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V?
I am an expert at HT in audio and video setup and practice. I charge people I don't like to fix their rooms...friends get it for free.

• Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
No

• Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
My room measures essentially flat and I can write a nice review as well as answer followups on multiple forums. I will also do local demos in one of the largest metro areas. Pick me.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
SVS Ultra Tower Speakers

Current HT and Music System:
I have two HT and music setups that consist of the following:

Primary 7.1 music/HT Speakers and sub:

• Revel Ultima2 Salon (mains)
  • Revel C32 Center
  • Revel IC15 side surrounds
  • Recel IC6T2 rear surrounds
  • Revel B15 subwoofer

Primary Electronics

• Anthem AVM50v 3D
  • Lexicon CX-7
  • Emotiva mini a-100 for my whole-house audio Zone 2
  • Sony 52" LCD TV

Secondary speakers and sub:

• Atlantic Technology IWCB-52s for fronts
  • Atlantic Technology IWTS-28 in-wall sub
  • Atlantic Technology IWTS-14SR surrounds

Secondary Electronics:

• Marantz AV SR4500 receiver
  • Samsung 43" Plasma

Source Components: (common to both primary and secondary HT and music setups. Primary components are connected via HDMI and digital audio switching infrastructure that I've installed)

• Oppo BDP-83
  • AppleTV
  • Roku2 XS
  • MacMini Audio/Video server with a good selection of lossless music fed to the Anthem via Musical Fidelity USB to S/PDIF converter
  • Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD Cable Box

Speaker Cabling:

• Audioquest 14/4

HDMI cabling:

• Blue Jeans
  • Tributaries Series IV

Balanced Audio Interconnects between Anthem and Lexicon
:

• Nordost Blue Heaven
  • Cardas
  • MIT

Electrical and Power Conditioning:

• Whole house surge and coax protection
  • Dedicated 20amp circuit for primary and secondary electronics
  • Shunyata 20amp outlets for electronics
  • Power conditioning by Panamax M5100-EX
  • Shunyata Copperhead and Diamondback and Transparent Cable power cords

Evaluation Room:

• My room is great for listening. It's a nice, open space that lets a good setup breathe and let out its dynamics. The main room is about 24' wide x 30' long with a large opening on the right side.
  • I have plenty of room for speakers at the front so my speakers sit about 3' out from the front wall.
  • Ceiling is about 12' at the primary seating area.
  • The right side has three 2" thick acoustic panels
  • The primary listening seat is 14' from the speakers so there is no back wall anywhere near the seating area.
  • There are oriental rugs throughout the room. A large oriental rug is directly in front of the primary front speakers and sub, oriental rugs are also located behind and to the side of the primary listening area.
I've been an audio enthusiast since I was a kid but really had that defining moment--that experience we can all probably relate to--when I was in college. It was at a friend's dorm when I heard a pair of Infinity speakers driven by an Onkyo receiver. The quality of the sound was spot-on. It was engaging, moving, and unlike anything I had heard from a system before. It was then that I started learning more about high-end audio and the quality sound that you could experience outside of the big box electronic stores. 20 years later, audio and home theater have been a passionate hobby and enjoyment.

I'd like to think that I'm a higher-end user in both experience and technical expertise. I have experience with a wide range of equipment: 2-channel integrated and stereo separates from NAD. Various receivers from Sony and Marantz. And now, separates with Anthem AVM20 and AVM50v 3D and amplifiers from Anthem, Proceed, Emotiva and Lexicon. For speakers, I've had experience with Boston Acoustics, KEF, B&W, Atlantic, Revel, and Dynaudio among others--including those Infinity speakers from my college days.

I've been fascinated by room acoustics and psychoacoustics and have read Floyd Toole's text to get a better understanding of how to properly setup a system, the things that matter, and the science involved. I had a specific experience auditioning B&W monitors years ago at two different dealers. In the one, the speakers were moving and involving and in the second, I found them to sound so different that it was a real eye-opener as to what placement and room could do to a speaker.

I'm well-aquainted with room measurements. I used to take manual measurements with an SPL with Harman's software to calibrate and graph out the responses of my Revel B15 sub. Likewise, I've used a Behringer calibrated microphone with TrueRTA to take room measurements to see the speaker responses in my room. Now, I'm very much accustomed to using Anthem's ARC. But not as a simple end-user. I know how to do real-time reads using the ARC software to get a real-time read on the effects of moving a speaker.

I've designed my setup including both free-standing and architectural speakers with whole-house, distributed audio and distributed IR throughout my house with a Niles IR system that I configured and installed. I've likewise setup my whole house with centralized, one-button management from my iPhone or iPad of my entire setup without resorting to custom installers or using proprietary systems that need a third party installer.

I haven't performed any equipment reviews and I'm hoping you all will give me the chance to do that with the SVS speakers! I'm passionate about this hobby and I'd love to have a chance to do some reviews.

I was an alternate reviewer for the SVS subwoofer contest several months back. I'm hopeful that I can make the cut this time. I've heard lots of great things about SVS in the forums but I've never had a chance to hear any of their gear. A few other things I'd like you to know about me:

• First: I can write and write well. I believe in having a thorough but entertaining review--that's what you'd get from me.
  • Second: I will have the time to do a detailed review. In fact, I've already gotten WAF thumbs up to enter! So, think of me as being a champion for all of us married guys!
  • Third: I firmly believe that the reviews aren't simply about taking a stock list of CDs or movies and having a checklist to go through like: 5th Element opera scene, check. U571 depth charges shook mother-in-law off the chair, check. All that stuff is great, but in the end it's about how a system engages you in the music or the story. If a system can do that (and of course, knock the mother-in-law off her chair) then that's what's important to me.
  • Fourth: I follow the site every day, I'm a Facebook fan, have listened to the AVRant Podcast, and I purchased my Atlantic setup via the audioholics store.
  • Fifth: It's easy for me to include multimedia to complement the review.
  • Sixth: Because I'm using the Anthem with ARC, I can easily include graphs of the speaker responses in my room if need be.

Thanks for the consideration and thanks to SVS for once again offering a product out to the community!

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
1) The system these would go in and be compared to: Boston VR series THX certified 5.0 system complemented by a klipsch rw-12d. Sourced by an HTPC connected over HDMI to a yamaha rx-v765. All cabling is monoprice. Additionally I would be comparing them to EMP E55tis and a pair of paradigm mini-monitors.

2) The room is very large measuring aproximately 20x35 with an 10 foot ceiling. The room is completely open on the left size to a dining room and kitchen with approximate combined dimensions of 30x40. The room is carpeted, and about 40% of the wall area has heavy cloth curtains. Other than these natural absorbers the room is untreated.

3)I have been into music for about 8 years and HT for another 4.

4)I have limited experience with high-end A/V components. I have sought out far more midrange components and have auditioned a very large number.

5)No previous reviews.

6)I have available to me an array of test equipment that would allow me to obtain quite precise FR measurements. With a little elbow grease I would be willing to try them out in various rooms and under various conditions noting the any correlations. I would be more than willing to drag them to a friends house to try them out with his SB-12NSD, and/or drag that sub into my room. Being as I'm currently unemployed I would have a great deal of time to dedicate to this project. Finally, I speak in a clear an succinct manner that translates well to video. I have the equipment and knowledge required to make a nice little video in addition to a good writeup.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, I appreciate the opportunity to participate in this contest.

Answer ALL of the questions below after reading the Contest Page to see if you are eligible to enter.

I have three systems:
Livingroom; Panasonic 58" plasma tv, Yamaha RX-A3010 receiver, Panasonic DMP-BD85 bdp, DirecTV DVR, Yamaha P320 TT, Philharmonic 2 mains, Dennis Murphy optimized JBL EC35 center channel, JBL Studio S38 surrounds, ACI LX rear surrounds, Aperion 4B front presence speakers, two SVS PB12+ subwoofers mounted on Auralex Great Grammas. Various interconnects and cables.
Office; Aerial Acoustics 7B's, Denon PMA 2000IVR integrated amp, Denon TU-1500RD tuner, highly modified JVC XL-Z1050 cdp, Nakamichi B100 cassette deck. Various interconnects and cables.
Bedroom; Panasonic 50" plasma tv, Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver, Toshiba D-R400 dvd player/recorder, DirecTV DVR, Nate's Audio T5 speakers, Aperion 10D subwoofer. Various interconnects and cables.

The approximate HT room dimensions are 26'x28'x9' average vault, with an opening to a galley kitchen, laminate flooring with rugs, and lots of curtains. I also use two 244 GIK bass traps. Speakers are well tested in this rather large room.

I have enjoyed quality music reproduction since the early '60's. I came to HT around 2004.

I consider myself to be reasonably articulate and familiar with all segments of the hobby. But I do have a notable lacking in technical/electronic theory knowledge.

Yes, I have written a number of reviews, some formal, some informal during my 8 years of affiliation with Audioholics. Likely missing some, here are a few:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/write-your-own-review/83382-philharmonic-2-review-w-aerial-7b-comparisons.html
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/85039-nates-audio-t5-review.html
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/67150-2010-great-northwest-gtg-9.html (Please note post's 87 and 95 for review notes.)
Format, measurement, and other design elements may be found in other posts within this thread.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/36766-not-so-ultimate-speaker-shootout.html (A really early one!)
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/13380-aerial-acoustics.html (Short and sweet.)
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/26323-infinity-reference-one-mini-review.html

I have familiarity with a very wide range of loudspeakers, including the previous SVS flagship speakers, their MTS-01's. I could possibly use that knowledge as a launching pad for review of the new models.

Thank you again. I'd really enjoy the opportunity to give the new Ultra Towers a thorough audition and fair review.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Current System in Theatre Room:

9.2 System:
Epson 8500 UB projector
DIY 86" screen (16:9)
Axiom M2s LR IIz Height
Axiom M60s LR Front
Axiom VP180 Ctr
Axiom QS8s Side & Back Surrounds
SVS PB10-ISD subs (x2)
XBOX 360 & PS3
Technics SL-BD20 Turntable
Behringer DSP1124 PEQ
URC MX-850/MRF-300
Oppo BDP-83 Universal/BLU-Ray player
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Emotiva XPA-5
Audiosource AMP100
Aura Pro Bass Shakers
Tripp-Lite Isobar
Cables/ Interconnects: DIY/ Blue Jeans

Evaluation Room:
Current room is a converted basement home theatre. Dimensions of the room
are approximately 15' x 25' x 8'. The room has two doors at the rear for
access to bathroom and to laundry area. In the front of the room is the
staircase leading upstairs to the rest of the house. I've built DIY
acoustic panels at first and second refleciton points on both walls and rear
wall.

How long HT and Music Aficionado;
I've been a HT fan for about the last 25 years, ever since I decided
to hook my Dad's VCR to the home stereo years ago. Ever since then I've been
playing with home and car systems. Always trying to push the envelope and my
budget. During my college years, my passion helped pay for Ramen noodles and
Kraft Mac & Cheese by setting up systems for my friends and their families.

Experience/Expertise:
I would rate myself as a Pro-sumer level user as it relates to
Home Theater. I have technical capacity and some software and tools that let
me get a response of speakers and my room. But I always love to try out new gear
whenever I get a chance.

Previous Equipment Reviews:
I haven't yet performed any equipment reviews on Audioholics yet. But am itching
to get started reviewing HT equipment.

Anything Else:
Besides being an avid HT fan, I believe my penchant and love of writing would lend
itself for providing a thorough and informative review of any equipment I have the
priviledge to review for Audioholics. I look forward to this contest.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What an amazing contest! Thank you Audioholics and SVS for this generous chance for three of us. Those towers look absolutely amazing.

On the chance that I get chosen, I have a request (presumptuous, I know :D) - I'd love to get the piano black finish. I was able to try the other finish on my SB13-Ultra, which works well in a corner, but I believe that the glossy finish will look much better out in the room where my front speakers are located.

• TV: Panasonic 50" plasma, TX-P50G10
• Audio Electronics: Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH, Emotiva RPA-1, Emotiva IPS-1
• Media Players: PS3, Panasonic DMP-BD60 blu-ray player, Oppo DV-980H, MacBook Air
• Speakers: NHT 1.5 (one pair front, one pair surrounds, one pair rear), NHT AudioCenter-1, MartinLogan Motion 8 (rear center, currently unused)
• Subwoofers: SVS PC13-Ultra, SVS SB13-Ultra

My evaluation room is my great room, which is approximately 24' deep, 16' wide, with sloped ceilings that average ~10'. When seated and facing the main sound stage, I have two hallway openings bracketing the speakers (one on the left, one on the right side), a large opening on the right side to my main entrance hallway, and a second large opening on the right side to my kitchen. I don't have any dedicated room treatments.

View facing TV (some older equipment shown in the rack, and the new SB13-Ultra isn't shown in the front left corner):

View facing to the right:

I've loved music and audio gear since I can remember, back to when I'd peruse stereo gear in the local department store when I was in grade school and daydream about the day that I could get one. With two older brothers who were also into it, I grew up around stereo gear. As for HT, I've always been into TV and movies, but the first surround sound system that I owned was my JVC TV that I bought in college that could run surround speakers. One of the more exciting things for me was the introduction of DVD (which I waited for over a year to come out after reading about it) and Dolby Digital - what a HUGE difference in the experience over VHS and Pro-Logic.

I don't have a lot of experience with expensive gear. Receiver-wise, the most that I've spent is $1000 (for one of the first Yamaha Dolby Digital receivers released, then most recently my Pioneer Elite). For subwoofers, my first one was a B&W ASW1000, which was replaced by an SVS PC13-Ultra. The PC13-Ultra is just in another class, no question. I knew that I'd second guess myself if I went with anything less than SVS's best when I pulled the trigger in 2007, and I've never regretted it. After entering (and losing, sniff…sniff :)) the SVS SB13-Ultra contest last year, I decided to buy my contest sample and am very happy to have added it to my system.

Yes. I did do one on the forum for the MartinLogan Motion 8 speaker.

I also did one for the SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer. I learned a lot from that review/contest - mostly to allot more time for the review and video editing. A number of things that I had in mind didn't get included because I spent most of the time evaluating and then got rushed at the end while creating the review. That's my lesson learned, and a word of advice to the folks that get chosen for this contest.

That's a tough one, given the caliber of a lot of the crew here. This interests me because I've followed SVS for years, and I'll admit that I'm a huge fan. Researching their subs is what actually brought me to Audioholics and this forum in the first place. :) Unfortunately, there was a bit of a falling out right when I started doing my research here, and I'm really glad that both teams are working together again. My experience with SVS with my PC13-Ultra was nothing short of extraordinary. Getting lengthy and valuable e-mail responses on the weekends was just the start. My first sub had a dented top cover, but instead of sending me out a new cover, Tom wanted to play it safe and make sure that nothing else was damaged, so they sent me a brand new one. When the amp had an issue, another amp was sent it as soon as they could. I can't imagine that my next sub won't be an SVS, and I recommend them to everyone that I know. So, I guess that I'm going with "my passion and love of SVS gear" as a qualification :), and maybe also my potential ability to relate to a lot of the readership here in that my system isn't high-end. Also, I am a long-time member and contributor to this forum.

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic

My HT/Music setup:
2 pairs of Polk rti12s; two channel for music with them toed-in and moved to the middle of the room with me sitting in the sweet spot between them
Polk csi a6 center
Polk rti6 bookshelf
no sub at the moment; usually set my rti12s to full range as they are rated down to 18hz with room re-enforcement
JVC HTIB receiver pre hdmi; rated 100 watts @ 5 channels 8 ohms
Sony BDP S350 blu ray player
Belkin HT power centre
Custom made DIY component rack stained dark mahogany w light polyurethane finish
Sony vpl-hw15 projector w 145" screen

TV ROOM
Panasonic 58VT25 plasma
Polk rti12 towers for two channel listening
Ps3 for bluray and video games

HT room is about 16 ft wide and 20 ft long and has very good in room extension
No bass traps, absorbers, diffusers at the moment.....

TV room is about 10 ft by 15 feet
Again no room treatments at the moment....work in progress

Very young age. I was 11 when I was introduced to my uncles high end paradigm speakers. He just received them by delivery and asked me to help him set them up and route the speaker cables through the walls. The first movie he put on was Twister on DVD and the THX intro BLEW my mind. I was hooked since then begging my dad to buy every single HTIB I saw trying to match his multi thousand dollar setup.

I would put myself right in the middle of expert and noob. I'm still fairly new to the home theatre world as I took a long hiatus during university and coming back I realized I have ALOT to catch up on. Visiting audioholics every day is helping me become a stronger jedi....Errr....audio enthusiast.
I can pick up on terms and new tech fairly quickly as I am rather technically minded :cool: I'm also a huge Computer buff

Have not performed any equipment reviews as new at collecting equipment.

My die-hard thirst to be the ultimate aficionado in the HT and audio realm. Ever since my eyes set upon those high end Paradigms with those shiny phase guides and my purchase of the Polk rti12s I've become enthralled in this hobby. It's drives my sister nuts. All I do is stare at stereo equipment and speakers is what she says to me. NOT true, I also stare at high end TVs and upcoming bluray releases :D

All in all, ever since I recovered from my bout with depression a few months I found great refuge in this hobby. It was a great past time to have in those days of great despair and pain and helped me really get by. I guess that really makes me a BIG hifi nerd. Whatever happened to looking at hot chicks in bikinis or googling Kim kardash?

Ps: I'm a fairly witty guy when it comes to writing so I'm sure I can make the review interesting and fun to read for people of all ages regardless of their political views I can even make a hard edged old republican smile!.....damn republicans! Oops, I mean.....damn republicans.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis