SVS Ultra Tower Speakers Contest—ENTER NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Visit the official contest page to see if you qualify

Want to Enter the SVS Ultra Tower Speakers Contest?
Answer the Following Questions...

Audioholics will use these answers along with your forum history to determine who will get the three pairs of SVS Ultra Tower Speakers for review. We'll be selecting based on multiple criteria, so please be honest and accurate.

Answer ALL of the questions below after reading the Contest Page to see if you are eligible to enter.

1. Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
  2. Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
  3. How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
  4. What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V?
  5. Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
  6. Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
Your entry must be submitted by April 8, 2013 at midnight EST in order to qualify.

Good luck!!!

Ultra_tower_pair_800.jpg

Please see our standard contest rules for more details

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Philip Pollina

Audiophyte
1: Current HT setup-
Denon AVR-4310
Denon DVD-3910
JVC QL-F4 Turntable
Sunfire True Jr- sub
Klipsch Quintet II front and rear speakers (sigh).
Sony BDP-S185 Blu-Ray Disc Player
Klipsch -KSC-C1 (sigh).
Panasonic TH-50PX60U Plasma TV

2: Room dimensions
Caddy-corner tv
Right front wall 8' then opens to kitchen
Left front wall 6' then opens to front entry
Rear right wall 6' then opens to hallway
rear left wall 10' than opens to front entry
8' ceilings
Carpeted floor, leather sectional couch.

3. I've had a love affair with music and sounds since I was about 8. Found an old Fisher stereo in someones trash, brought it home and somehow got it functioning. Never had much of a budget for equipment (and now that I have 5 kids, never will!) but have had numerous systems over the years, including an old Onkyo stereo receiver in the 1980's, a JVC ja-s77 integrated amplifier (still have it!). My First Lust was the old Carver M1.0t amp and the DTL -100 cd player in the mid 80's, I remember ogling the marketing sheets and trying to figure out how to get them (never got the m1.0t but did get the DTL-100 much later). Bought a Denon AVR-3802 -(my first -big boy receiver), then an AVR 4306 and finally my avr-4310. Over the years I had 3d acoustic speakers, Speakerkit speakers in the 1980's (wish I had kept them) Mordaunt Short ms 1.5 speakers, some old JBL bookshelf speakers (blew the tweeters). I have used Klipsch Quintet ii since about 2003 (had them in our old apartment in the Bronx) and had never upgraded them- They make me sad, especially since the Surefire junior sub tops at about 100 hz, which is the supposed bottom of the klipsch Quintets range, not a great blend. They make me sad (I know I said that twice). I Have over 2,000 cd's and about 250 records.

4. Level of expertise would be short of expert- I know my way around a HT setup, understand the importance of speaker placement, appreciate great sound and have champagne tastes on a beer budget. I have many, many dvd-audio and SACD discs. I find that I prefer stereo for music, so I usually use the stereo high-res versions on those discs (with a few exceptions).

5. No, but I did have a review here: Amazon.com: Philip J. Pollina's review of Denon AVR-4306B 7.1 CH Home Theater/MultiM... and here: (although this is out of date!-) Amazon.com: Philip J. Pollina's review of JVC XV-FA95BK Progressive-Scan 7-Disc DVD ...

6. My first two years of college were for audio engineering. I worked on the old neve 8068 sound boards while listening to down mix on Yamaha ns-10m's. Learned to Splice 2' tape and I listened to music as it was recorded, the different tracks and overdubs-all that goes into creating a wonderful sounding record (I interned at Cove City sound and an old studio in Douglaston called the cave). I never got into the field because I was limited by two things- I was not a musician, and I liked to eat (there was no money in the business). I am now in a decidedly unmusical field with lots of stress. As a married father of 5, my kids are my life, and that life can get crazy at times. I find music to be the most relaxing part of my day, it is something that I can even get my kids to sit down and enjoy with me (ages 13,11,7, 2 and 3 mths). I always said that if I ever win the lottery, the new house I would buy would be contingent on the space for my home theater/listening room. I never had the opportunity to review great sounding equipment in my own home- and I know that I would be good at it. It also helps that I majored in literature in college!

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
  1. Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.

Currently have Samsung Blueray, 60" Samsung LED, pioneer VSX-1022, 2 Verse Grand Bookshelves, no subs
2. Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?

11276d1359172407-svs-sb-1000-subwoofer-review-compact-performance-room.jpg
12x20x8 generally. The room is predictiable based on previous measurements.

11287d1359220203-svs-sb-1000-subwoofer-review-compact-performance-reweqv2.jpg

If selected, I will implement an manual PEQ of the system using a Behringer FBQ1000 Feedback Destroyer.

Ever since I been a kid, 20+ years. I never had the cash for a full HT system, so I've always been the guy who uses borrowed tools and equipment to push the little I have farther.

High.I understand the engineering and design of audio systems, I am frequently a consultant for others system decisions.

5. Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/84014-svs-sb-1000-subwoofer-review-compact-performance.html

6. Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
Engineering / Photography / Room Measurements / Video Equipment
I think my previous review shows a little of what I can do. This time, if selected, I will go far further in providing movies and photos of the equipment. I have a D60 SLR with lighting equipment for photography, a HD camcorder with an aux mike for distortion free recording. I have all the equipment necessary for proper editing. I have also learned the necessary webtools to post full size photos and movies to make the review shine. I would really love another opportunity to show what I can really do!

B

bellevegasj

Junior Audioholic
1. Current setup:
Marantz 5007
PS3 for blu ray/dvds, streaming etc.
SVS PB-1000
Pioneer SP-FS52-LR x2, SP-BS22-LR x4, SP-C22
Mitsubishi WD-73742

2. Room dimensions:
22' x 20' x 7'
Satellite speakers in the corners. TV at 12 o'clock. Towers about 4 inches on either side of the TV. 42" open doorway to the left of the TV. Sub at 3 o'clock position. Entertainment system new. No room treatments. Sectional couch, lazy boy in the 7 o'clock position, and carpeted.

3. I've been into HT for about 4 years. I've been a huge fan of music and movies my entire life, but never had the space to put a good HT system together. I plan to buy a turntable and start a record collection in the next year or so.

4. I've read a lot more than I've had a chance to listen to high end equipment. I've read hundreds of articles on speakers, configurations, building speaker cabling etc.

5. No. Have not written any reviews.

6. Only that I have a newly purchased SVS sub that would go nicely with those speakers =)

A

aalloca

Audiophyte
Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
5.1 setup
Marantz Sr5007
Oppo 103
Axiom M3 fronts , center vp100, qs4 surround
svs sub sealed 10 inch
apple tv as media server

Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
Room is 12 by 23 long. no acoustic treatments

How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
I was born with music at the heart of my existence. I began my journey with vinyl at 5 years old of police synchronicity, mj thriller, and diana's diana album.. from that time on I have bought every format and use xm radio, rhapsody, itunes, dvd audio, sacd, mofi, cd to find music and continue to search for new/old music.

What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V?
I believe I am above average to equipment. I used to read stereophile mag in my school library in middle school for fun. I believe my ears and phonographic memory are what allows me to make slight adjustments to sound for tangible results.

Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
No, but I do use your website for great reviews.

Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
Other that I consider music my religion, it is the only thing that moves me emotionally and I spend almost all my time listening, searching, virtual crate digging, etc. music is everything to me.

W

wiz454

Audiophyte
music is life

since my first am/fm radio,to my dj set up now music has been a loyal companion..GOD BLESS AMERICA.2013

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
1) Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.

1. 105” projection screen painted on wall at center front
  2. Old Sony VPL-HS20 720p Projector
  3. Onkyo TX-SR805
  4. Emotiva UPA-2 stereo amp for L/R
  5. 7.1 Ascend Acoustics setup w/ 12ga wire throughout
    1. L/R CBM-170SE
    2. C CMT-340
    3. SL/SR CBM-170
    4. BL/BR HTM-200
  6. HSU VTF2-MK2 subwoofer in maximum extension mode
  7. HTPC connected via HDMI running XBMC
    1. 150 BluRays backed up
    2. 200 FLAC albums backups
  8. Oppo DV-981HD w/ 20 DVDA|SACDs
  9. Xbox 360
  10. Directv HMC/HR34/genie/whatever they call it this week
  11. L/R speakers are .76 x distance to seating apart for “golden ratio,” slightly toed in, and 1’ from back wall to prevent port reflections
  12. Speakers balanced using Audessy and then tuned in further using an SPL
  13. Projector color balanced using an eye one and ColorHCFR

2) Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?

1. Basement room: 18’ deep, 16.5’ wide, 8’ ceilings
  2. open back into extra space (10’ x 20’)
  3. carpeted floors
  4. DIY absorber project for all 1st point reflections on the (long) to-do list
  5. microfiber couch and loveseat
basement.jpg

3) How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?

1. My real interest in music and HT began in college. I had several friends in bands and would play different venues, some with great sound, some terrible. When I graduated 10 years ago, my first purchase once I had saved up money was a 5.1 Ascend Acoustics/HSU surround sound setup. I have been hooked ever since with upgraditis, if only I had more money... I have constantly lurked around Audioholics and AVSforum, reading and drooling over new products and technologies. That moment when I first got a taste of “audio nirvana” will never be forgotten. I realized that the songs I love have so many layers, and hearing those notes just float effortlessly and linger was amazing. But now with my first child on the way this July, my budget is going to be constrained even further (1month of daycare is more than a pair of Ultra Surrounds!!!).

4) What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V?

1. While I don’t have the budget for high-end A/V gear, I understand that fundamentals that it is based on. I realize the use of higher quality components for crossovers makes a difference, along with the bracing and angles of a speaker box.

5) Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.

1. No, nothing in depth

6) Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?

1. I have a degree in electrical engineering that spawned my interest in high end audio. After spending years in college learning learning about DSPs and transmission lines (wires), reading about and finding pure audio devices has been a hobby of mine. Avoiding the snake-oil and discovering products with new methods of design and implementation gives me a way keep in touch with my background in EE since my career has diverged from that. I work in software quality assurance, so I am constantly creating test plans and executing tests in order to write evaluations of products and updates in my industry.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
  • Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
SVS subwoofer pb12-nds, Thiel 2.4 floor standing speakers, emotive DAT, emotiva mono amps, Sherwood Newcastle r-972 receiver (trinnov audio processing as needed). My goal would be to review the SVS speakers in a critical 2.0 or 2.1 system, but I have surrounds by KEF too.

• Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
22' x 14' carpeted, sloped ceiling ranging from 18 ' down to 8 ' at back, double drywall. nothing else.

• How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
I'm 43 - my whole life - thank you dad and grandpa.

• What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V?
    I would say moderately high. I believe I have a very critical ear, but not critical of brand names.
  • Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
    no
  • Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
    I will provide a no none sense review, the type that I look for when trying to learn more about speakers / equipment that might be hard to audition in person.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Pick Me!!

My Main Music system is a 3.2 system that consists of the following

Front Stage - MB Quart QLS1030's and MB Quart QLS330
Receiver - Onkyo 708
Amp - Emotiva XPA-3
CD - Denon DCM-290
Subs - 2 x 10" Eclipse SW8102 sealed, Adcom GFA-555, MiniDSP
TV - Sony 55" LCD
Satellite - Direct TV

My Home Theater system is a 5.2 system that consists of the following

Front Stage - PSB - Image T65 and Image C60
Surrounds - Swans Diva 4.2
Receiver - Onkyo 805
DVD - PS3
Subs - 2 x ED A2-300
TV - 60" Hitachi DLP
Satellite - Direct TV

3.2 Music Room very large open room with vault ceilings. To Big to Measure, not room treatments, pine floors and lots of rugs and soft furniture. It is an excellent listening room.

5.2 Home Theatre large enclosed room that measures 20' x 40' x 13'. The room can be sealed on all sides and has finished concrete floors and DIY Sounds panels throughout the room. it also has several large rugs on the floor also.

I have loved steroe equipment my whole life, I saved up and bought my first boombox when I was 7 years old and have been upgrading for the past 28 years.

I would say I am well versed in the main stream high end equipment. I have a solids understanding of accoustics and amplification, etc since I have an Engineering Degree. I have not had much experience with actual room measurements, but have owned and listened to many different speakers over the years and also lived in 6 houses in the past several years. When I purchased my MB Quart set in 2000 I spent 6 months researching and listening to every speaker in my price bracket. Needless to say I love those speakers like they were kids or something. My goal is to one day hopefully find something that I like as well.

I have never completed an official review, just posted several of my observations.

As mentioned I have an engineering degree, not that is anything special on this forum.
I also have two different listening areas and can compare these side by side with 3 different types of towers that are are at my house.

Thanks for hosting the contest!!
Jeff R.

G

gmoney80

Audiophyte
1.Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
Home Theater Setup
Speakers
Wharfedale EVO 30-front left and front Right
Wharfedale EVO Center-Center channel
Wharfedale OPUS tri surround-Surround speakers
SVS PB12+ with bash amp
Monster power power center pro 3500
Auralex Great gramma

Receivers/amps
Pioneer elite sc-05
Emotiva XPA-3
Display
Samsung 52-750b LCD
Players
Oppo bdp-105-Blu ray player
Toshiba hd-a35-HD-DVD

Music room setup
Speakers
Aperion audio verus grand bookshelf-Front L & R
SVS SB12+
Components
Emotiva USP-1 preamp
Emotiva UPA-1 monoblocs X2
Emotiva XDA-1 DAC
Toshiba SD-9200 cd player
Music hall MMF-2.2 turntable, pro-ject speedbox
Beyerdynamic A1 headphone amp
Beyerdynamic T1 headphones
Beyerdynamic DT-1350 headphones
Monster power power center pro 2500

2.Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
Home theater room:12 X 16 carpeted room with vaulted ceiling. Using two auralex sonoflat panels behind the two front speakers and an auralex great gramma for the subwoofer.
Music room:10X12 carpeted room-Using two auralex sonoflat panels behind front speakers and an auralex subdude for the subwoofer.

3.How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
I would say it all began when i was digging around in my parents attic and discovered this weird looking thing with a metal arm and a platter. So i brought it inside the house and asked my father "hey dad what is this thing?" he replied "it's a turntable, you use it too play music." Well I was thoroughly confused because at the time i thought all music came from a plastic disc. So he pulls out his old record collection, hooks the turntable up to an old Marantz 2226b receiver and plugs his old Bose 901's in and the sound that came out was magical. That was in 1988 and I have been obsessed with music and soon after home theater since, so i guess the short answer is 25 years.

4.What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V?
I definitely don't pretend to be an expert and have a lot more to learn in the field but over the years i have become obsessed with audio. I mean don't get me wrong i love the video side of the subject with all the aspect ratio, black level, pixel perfect blu ray vs. 1080p streaming conversations but their is just something about the analog vs. digital conversation that tends to capture my attention in that it actually makes sense in the real world. You can actually hear a difference in the 128 vs. 320 vs. FLAC vs. vinyl debate which makes it very interesting. I love hi end audio and the trade shows i.e. RMAF get more and more interesting every year, i just wish i could afford more of it.

5.Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
Never for audioholics, i actually just found the user forums yesterday, but i have over the years reviewed stuff on avs forums, unfortunately i cannot provide links because some of the stuff i have reviewed is really old. But if chosen i will provide a very accurate, in depth, full scale review for you guys.

6.Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
Well i guess the one thing i can say is that i love your company. I have been obsessed with deep base all my life and i can tell you their was no bigger difference i heard or saw in any product than when i went from a small box sony subwoofer to an SVS pci 20-39. It was my introduction to all things amazing in the subwoofer world. I have owned and still own a pb10, pci 20-39, sb12+ and a pb12+ and absolutely love every one of them. When i saw that you guys were going to RMAF in 2012 i booked my tickets right away so i could see your new speaker line and was a giddy as a schoolgirl when i heard them for the first time. Everything from the highs, lows, mids and even the aesthetics of the speakers screamed quality and gave me goosebumps with everything that was played through them. I would be honored to review your speakers whether it was short term or long term and look forward to any review even if it is not one of mine. Thanks for your consideration.

R

Rayderfan

Audiophyte
1: Yamaha Aventage rx-a1010 as pre/processor only
Yamaha Aventage bd-a1010 universal player
Sony ps3 for gaming and movie streaming
Luxman p91 turntable minimal vinyl useage these days
Monster power hts2600 for above equipment on dedicated 15 amp circuit
(5) Hafler p3000 bridged for lcr and surronds
(1) Hafler p3000 stereo for back surrounds
(2) Hafler p1000 bridged for front effects speakers
Monster power hts3600 for amps on dedicated 20amp circuit
Paradigm studio reference 100v2 fronts
Paradigm studio reference center v2
Paradigm studio reference adp v2 surrounds
Paradigm reference 6 1/2" ceiling back surrounds
Paradigm reference ams450 front effects
(1) SVS pb12-nsd sledge 400 watt
(1) paradigm ps1200v4 (selling and getting matching svs sub)
subs on dedicated 15amp circuit
Epson pro 6010 projector with draper 106" screen
2: room in basement 15x25 room with a 8x6 wetbar area
sound diffusers behind and to the sides of mains ( more to add at 1st reflection and back wall)
mains and subs as well as equipment is placed at front of room on each side of screen built on a 4" curved convex stage filled with sand beneath floor decking. matching convex upper soffit
that flows into the side soffits with crown molding hiding rope lights. 4 side columns filled with insulation.
3: been a diehard since early teens started competing car audio which progressed into the pursuit of accurate sounding systems home and car. started working for a local high end dealer and eventually became the assistant manager before moving on to become manager of a competitors store.
4:alot like 3rd question been around it since the first kicker subwoofer thumped me in the chest at age 16 when I walked into my first stereo shop in 85 and realized that this is what I have been looking for and just never knew what it was...true sub Bass. I haven't been in the business for 10yrs now but still remain friends with all. I have sold and set up many high end theater. we sold and the store still does sell b&w,krell,anthem,paradigm reference.....etc. a true high end shop moved rotel,conrad Johnson,theta. too many too list. never stopped pursuing,listening and evaluating all genres off audio formats recordings and equipment.
5: no prior reviews but I understand the concepts and language needed to review without getting annoyingly technical.
6:will never own an ipod or any other device that destroys the pursuit of audio perfection. the generation of today has licked the lollipop of mediocrity that has damaged an industry of true enthusiast.

Last edited:
M

marine87

Audiophyte
DMR-EH75V DVD Recorder
Marantz 1602 receiver
Marantz 2270 Receiver
Fluance speakers
Definitive technology speakers
Magnavox blu-ray player
Direct tv
Sony 55" flat HD screen
Cambrigde soundworks surround speakers

1. Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
large ranch house with cathedral ceiling, no treatments besides two big dogs

1. How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?

1. What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V?
High

1. Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.

Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?

passion, passion, passion - I buy what I can afford according to my income and employment

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
Main system:
Emotiva UMC-200 Pre/pro
Emotiva XPA-3
Audiosource Amp300
Mains: GR Research A/V-2s
Surrounds: GR Research A/V-1s
Epik Empire
Oppo BDP-83SE
PS3 Slim
APC-H10, Panamax 5100

System Two (85% music, mainly configured 2.0 but test subs in it occasionally)
Marantz SR-8300
GR Research A/V-2s
Sony SCD-222ES SACD
Panasonic BD-65
PS3
Panamax M8EX

Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
Main room, which is where I would be most likely to review is fairly large, about 25'x30' w/cathedral ceiling, half wall separating open kitchen space adding about another 12'x12'. No dedicated treatments, heavy curtains added to damp some of the sound in the main area.

Most kids sing in the shower and I certainly did, but I never wanted to be a singer, I just loved music from early on. My parents listened to music frequently and listened to a wide variety of genres. This stayed with me and my dad's first system was my first experience with decent equipment. None of it was "high end", but it got me started being curious about gear and tweaking that gear to get the most out of it. I started tweaking my dad's system when I was quite young. We had hardwood floors at the time and they vibrated considerably with the speakers he had at the time. They were large old 80s towers and they were short. At about 16, I went to a high end local shop and bought some isolation feet and put them under the speakers without telling my dad. I noticed the improvement but I don't think he knew they were there :) (this is long before I even knew anything about speakers, but this seemed like the correct and obvious thing to do). I used to save my chore money to go to the music store and pick through the vinyl to see what was new and interesting to play on dad's system, and since I could only buy one or two albums, I had to pick well because it would be a while before I could afford the next one.

I consider myself well versed in audio gear and speakers. Audio gear has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I've listened to countless speakers and systems and at one point started a small business with the intent of assisting others in proper speaker placement and calibration, installation, gear selection, etc... It was a difficult niche to make a living in, so it remains just a hobby today.

Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
I've written a few "mini" reviews over the years.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/18389-sbs-01-speaker-impressions.html

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/38870-quick-impressions-polk-rti-a3.html

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/write-your-own-review/64743-gr-research-n2x-review.html

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/write-your-own-review/81962-infinity-p163-impressions.html

I make no claim to being an expert, but I pride myself on my ability to interpret what I hear when auditioning a particular speaker.
I love audio :)
Thanks for the opportunity.

G

gunga93

Audiophyte
1. Denon AVR-991, Infinity Interlude IL40 mains and IL36c center, Emotive UAW-6.2 surrounds and UAC-6.2 rear surrounds, SVS PB-10 NSD subs x2, Samsung PN63C8000 TV and BDC6900 bluray

2. Open space in the basement, with the TV and front speakers along the highlighted wall.
(not sure why the image is not coming through - here is the link: http://flic.kr/p/e6dMSC )
The room has a sectional, ottoman-style coffee table, a sofa, and various toys from the kids.

3. I've always been into music, speakers, and home theater, though my budget has always been limited. I was a musician all through HS and college and still enjoy live music, particularly more intimate, acoustic performances, and all genres of music including jazz and classical.

4. Not overly extensive. I've enjoyed a number of listening sessions at various stores and I've heard speakers made by a number of high-end companies including Thiel, Focal, Totem, and Vandersteen. I recently auditioned the GoldenEar Triton Two towers and these SVS towers are definitely in the discussion as I look to upgrade either my current HT or the two channel system I have in the family room.

5. Unfortunately, no.

6. I am currently in the market for new speakers and the SVS Ultra Towers are in my initial list. I would love to hear them and have a chance to try them with all kinds of different music in both of my listening environments.

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha P5000S
Yamaha P3500S
Yamaha P2500S x3
McIntosh 2120
Adcom GFA-555
Marantz 7003
Integra 8.2
Pioneer SX-9700S
Sony DST-818
Salk SCSTs
Philharmonic 2's
B&W N801's
PSB 400i's
Paradigm Studio 40 v3's
Paradigm S2 v1's
SVS PC-12+
B&W (some sub)
Energy CS-1 system
Infinity RSiiib's
GMA Europa's
PS3
Wii
Sony BD player
Sony DVD Carosel
Integra SACD player
Some other stuff.

Irregular-shaped approx 20x15 with "strategically placed couches and curtains"

6 years

Experienced.

Not really, no.

I want free speakers. :)

D

DarkTactics

Audiophyte

I currently own a plethora of speakers, and am in a constant pursuit to obtain high quality speakers, receivers, and supporting equipment.

Home Theater:
  • Yamaha RX-V465
  • Definitive Technology BP7002 (L/R)
  • Definitive CLR 2500 (C)
  • SVS SBS-01 (SR/SL)
  • SVS SB13 Plus (LFE)
  • Kenwood KM-X1000 (testing out)

Family Room TV:
[*]Yamaha RX-V465
[*]Definitive Technology SM65's (L/R)
[*]Definitive Technology BP8040st (C/LFE)
[/LIST]

Music System:
[*]Marantz SR5007
[*]Infinity Overture 3's (L/R)
[*]Infinity Prelude MTS's (Alternate Speakers)
[/LIST]

Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, opening), and do you utilize and room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
The room is 16x20 with 2 small openings for the kitchen, and a bedroom. It has no sound treatments, but it is sound deadened internally with extra insulation.

How long have you been a music and HT afficionado?
I've grown up playing with speakers. At the age of 14 I blew my first subwoofer, and Advent 10 inch my father adored. I was fascinated with the lower frequencies, and the amount of air that was pushed through the port. As I became an Engineer at Purdue University, I began my collection of speakers starting with a Klipsch 2.1, and as it sits today, have been through many, many, series, companies, and speaker types. (Velodyne, HSU, Klipsch, Bose, etc)

In total, I would say 15 years.

What is your level of expertise as it related to high-end A/V?
I'm fairly active online reading the continuous updates, reviews, and evaluations of different platforms. Offline, through my diverse list of speakers, I would say proficient on most levels of technical discussion.

Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums?
I have not, I am really excited about the opportunity to review a new product and challenge myself to create a professional and useful review for the average consumer providing relevant data, beautiful pictures, HD video, and true tests.

Do you anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
I believe my experiences and success in my professional and personal life at my age show a dedication to anything I do.

From professional documentation and work force plans to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars, to my 470AWHP 3000GT VR-4. I love to set the bar high for myself, as well as support others in improving themselves professional or personally.

My previous HT: (In a rented house, low budget)
http://bamskee.com/hometheater.jpg
http://bamskee.com/hometheater3.jpg
http://bamskee.com/hometheater7.jpg

V

vidop

Audiophyte

Sony NX810 55" LED/LCD
    Vandersteen 2CE (FR/FL), 1C (SR/SL), VCC1 Center, 2-SVS PC12NSD Subs
    Denon 3311ci
    Oppo 93 BR

Room--15' x 16' x 9'. One 3' door. No room treatments except for heavy window curtains.

Since 1990 when I got my first "serious" stereo system. Adcom amp/preamp, ESS HEIL AMT 1B floor speakers, Technics turntable/Shure V15 cartridge, Sony 1/4" tape deck--All of which I still have and use.

I have worked at a Chicago tv station for the last 35 years. During that time, I have worked on numerous, nationally-aired, music shows. I would like to think that this would give some credence for qualifications.

No.

I have just VERY recently retired. I now have the time to really investigate the setup/quality of equipment in my dedicated media room/home theater. Plus, most of my existing speakers are Vandersteen. I feel that this would allow me to see the differences between my existing speakers and these higher-end Vandersteens.

P

PewterTA

Audiophyte
1:
Main Theater Setup:
Rotel RSP-1098 Pre-amp
Rotel RB-1090 (L/R) and RB-1095 (C/RR/RL)
Rotel RT-1080 Tuner
Cambridge Audio 840c CDP/DAC
Oppo OPDV971H DVD player
Sony Playstation 3 (3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Generation – slim design)
APC S15 Power Conditioner (amps not attached)
Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamonds Main Speakers (2” thick Maple Plinths and spiked speakers – waiting on arrival of plinths)
Bowers & Wilkins HTM2 Diamond Center
Bowers & Wilkins 602s3 Surrounds
SVS PC12 Subwoofer
Interconnects: CatCables Silver Cats.
Speaker Wire: CatCables Cat Tails (two sets to each main off the posts on the RB-1090)
Power Cables: Black Sand Cable Violet Z1 MKII (On pre, cdp, and both amps)
Windows 7 Laptop running Foobar2000 using WASAPI (event mode)
Wireworld Starlight USB Flat Cable (computer to MF)
Musical Fidelity V-Link 192
BlueJeans Digital Coaxial Cable (from MF to CA 840c CDP)
Samsung 56” DLP (ISF Calibrated)

Second system (thrown together):
Yamaha RX-v1400
Rotel RB-1080 Amp (powering mains)
Dayton Audio B652 (just temporary until I figure out what speakers I want here)
Interconnects: CatCables SilverCats
Power Cables: Stock
Laptop is moved up here when listening while HTPC/Music Server is being built.

2:

Evaluation Room:
-Main Listening Theater area (16’ wide x 30’ long) finished basement with 7 ½’ ceilings. Paneling and furring strips hold up the walls and concrete block walls behind.
-Sliding glass doors at the rear of the room.
-Two couches (Main couch at listening position – 10 ½’ from speakers) and another couch along left wall.
-Right side wall has a 3 shelf bookshelf that extends about 1 to 2 feet beyond plane of the speakers and goes to the right front corner. There is a door opening that goes to the laundry room that normally is closed for listening, though sometimes open. I have not noticed any huge difference in listening either open or closed.
-Coffee table in front of main couch which normally the laptop resides on.
-Suspended shelf hung from the ceiling via solid steel silver cables coated in plastic which holds two lamps and the HTM2Di Center channel above the TV.
-Wall to wall carpeting.
-SVS subwoofer is in front left corner on a custom built stand to raise it up about one and a half foot (main water line comes in to the house here and goes into the wall behind the entertainment center). Found the subwoofer to have amazing effects (for the better) on imaging and room correction in this location.

3:
I’ve been into music and Audio since I was…well about 2. No kidding, my parents were very much into music when growing up (extensive record collection) and I really learned from them how to appreciate music/sound. I even have pictures of me asleep, head on the table, in front of one of those yellow all-in-one record players in a box while playing my own records (yep at 2 years old). So I know it all started back then.

Appreciating music and sound came from the fact that I used to get a lot of ear infections when I was very young. The doctors weren’t even sure I’d be able to hear properly. Luckily, I got tubes put in my ears and that helped a lot. My parents estimated I had over 340 ear infections (both ears) between the ages of one and three. I think those events in some sort of weird way wired my brain to enjoy and appreciate the ability to hear and to listen.

At probably about the age of eight I would say, I got my Dad’s old setup and used to spend hours listening to music while doing school work and day dreaming in my room. Once I hit my teenage years I spent more money on buying equipment and music/movies than doing anything else (well maybe video games too). Right around this age is when I bought my first Pioneer HT receiver. I loved it and upgraded my speakers to the Yamaha NS-A636 or 637 (can’t remember off the top of my head), still using the Center and Rears that came with the Pioneer. My next step up I moved to the Yamaha RX-V1400 (still in use today) and got the NSH-A1638 floorstanders. I loved that system. From there I switched over to B&W 604s and started adding and moving to Rotel equipment. This is when I really picked up the knowledge or became aware of timbre and synergy in a system. My system stayed that way until about 6 months ago when I was able to pass my system (well speakers) to a friend of mine and I was able to move to Bowers & Wilkins 802Dis. This is where I’ll stay for a good long while I believe though I do want to upgrade to Classe gear, if/when funds would allow. I love how well the two (or one) company works together.

I’m proud to say that I know where all my old equipment is and it’s just about all still in use today along with each person having not moved to anything different. They basically got brand new equipment when I gave them the gear as I keep things in as best of shape as I can!

4:
From what I think, I’m pretty much an expert. I’m not saying I know enough to build my own equipment, but I have a knack of knowing what’s out of place and where there is or needs to be synergy in a system just from hearing it for a few minutes. I’m the one to to ask if I can move a speaker slightly or change something and often times people are amazed at the differences. Everyone I know comes to me for advice and to actually do the work of installing and setting things up. I love setting up systems and making them sound their best and every system I set up for people have all gotten tons of compliments from people they show them to. I’ve even had a bunch of referrals to do their friend’s systems as well. I am all about making everything work together, finding the right components to match the right speakers and make the system work in the room... I’m one that believes you don’t have to spend a lot to get a good sounding system (ie my $40 dayton speakers).

5:
I have performed various reviews on all the equipment that I have, though not on audioholics. None have been formal, more have come as impromptu discussions in middle of someone else’s thread that they started about a certain piece of equipment. My greatest ability with reviews is that I’m very good at making comparison. This allows me to reference that the equipment I’m reviewing sounds similar to another brand A or is the opposite of what brand A. I try to bring in other equipment into the review by saying if you have heard speaker x, this speaker has the same timbre and warmth as it… those sort of things. I think if people can relate to equipment they’ve heard…then it’s easier for them to form their own opinions on how what I’m reviewing or talking about sounds.

6:
Other Positives is that I’m in Pittsburgh, not far from SVS, so shipping is cheap! As well as I will have potentially anywhere from 2 to 8 others that will be able to either confirm my opinions or make valid points in the opposite as I am part of the PitAG (Pittsburgh Audiophile Group) and when we have new equipment…we all love to see it and hear it!

Only other thing I can add is that I’m all for giving fair reviews and trying not to impart bias. I give the facts and make opinions and observations as straight down the middle as I. I tend to let the equipment speak for itself. If it’s great, I’ll view it that way (even if it’s not to my liking).. if it’s not…then I have to put the rough facts out there, nothing personal in it…just the way things work out. I’ve already told a few people on things I’d not tell people to get from Bowers & Wilkins or Rotel and those are my main to “fall back” companies. Give credit where it’s due I say.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Yamaha RXV-657 Receiver, Axiom M60v2 Towers & VP150v2 Center, Oppo BDP-83 blue ray for video and music, also run music via MP3 - mix of iPod Touch & Creative Zen player, Panasonic GT30 65" Plasma for TV/Video. old 10" Pioneer sub that still works.

1. Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
Evaluation room will be like many general enthusiasts rooms: nothing special. Room is approximately 18' x 18' with 18' ceilings. No hanging treatments so it is prone to sound reflection, as facing speakers, right hand side of room is tall glass windows with soft shades for some absorption, but a brick fireplace from floor to ceiling.
Secondary room would be an unfinished basement serving as a "get-away," rec room, all-purpose including exercise room with a 42" TV and old Pioneer receiver.

1. How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
Have always loved music, but it has always been on mostly hand-me-down equipment, although good equipment. Don't have the budget, the authority, nor the dedicated room as some enthusiasts, so I make do with what I have and try to maximize it's potential.

1. What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V?
I would like more high-end products. But At high end, I am probably a novice. I am definitely more knowledgeable than the general public, but I also recognize that my ears may have different tastes than others. For example, I can hear differences that my spouse cannot. I also get annoyed at listening to music via satellite radio as I can hear the compression used to send the signal.

1. Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
Nope.

1. Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
I would make a good comparison of your "average" user with a non-dedicated room that is not optimized for music or HT. In other words, a very realistic every-man's application. I also listen to a wide variety of music encompassing a mix of classic rock, today's pop, country, blues, blue-grass, classical, and very limited rap/hip-hop (generally older Beastie Boys, Sir Mix-Alot, Run DMC, etc.). I have a technical background (engineering and six sigma) that would lend it self to scientific methods, but I lack the meters that hard core enthusiasts own. I would be able to provide a Joe EveryMan's perspective.

M

Mikeharlow

Audiophyte
SVS speaker contest

Visit the official contest page to see if you qualify

Want to Enter the SVS Ultra Tower Speakers Contest?
Answer the Following Questions...

Audioholics will use these answers along with your forum history to determine who will get the three pairs of SVS Ultra Tower Speakers for review. We'll be selecting based on multiple criteria, so please be honest and accurate.

Answer ALL of the questions below after reading the Contest Page to see if you are eligible to enter.

Your entry must be submitted by April 8, 2013 at midnight EST in order to qualify.

Good luck!!!

View attachment 11663

Please see our standard contest rules for more details

UPA-7
UMC-1
TC-P60ST30
Samsung SMT HD3262 Cable Box (Brightstar)
Mirage OMD-15's Front Speakers
Polk LSiC Center Speaker
Polk LSi7's Surrounds
SVS PB-12 Plus Subwoofer (Sledge Amp)
JBL PB-10 Subwoofer
Belkin PV60 Power Conditioner

Entrance opens to a large living/dining room with bar open to large eat-in kitchen. I am not sure of the dimensions but would estimate that I am dealing with 20x25 living room/dining room which open with a bar to 15/20 eat-in kitchen. Outer wall has large 8x8 glass door and dining room has 4x6 window. There is an area rug in front of the home theater setup. No bass traps or diffusers at this time.

My love of music goes back to when I was a kid with my father. In the late 60's and 70's I had an extensive early r&b collection. I was using a Kenwood reel-to-reel tape deck at the time. It was stolen along with the tapes.

Started again after kids left and have been slowly trying to find right system. Still a work in process.

Amateur who enjoys great sound.

No.

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis