SVS Ultra Evolution Pinnacle Review

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
I might be repeating myself but the thread is getting bulky...

SVS new Evolution centre is so undersized that it is not a match, or even close, to the big towers. At 12kg and half meter long, this thing is really tiny and powerless compared to the towers. If they started with 2x the size, there could be an argument that they made an effort.

Towers are what some people might like or not, but if looking for a LCR package, this offering is not right unless you can place 3 towers behind AT screen.

I guess SVS should try much harder in all aspects as there are plenty of others that want to eat their lunch and other meals as well :).

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

SVS new Evolution centre is so undersized that it is not a match, or even close, to the big towers. At 12kg and half meter long, this thing is really tiny and powerless compared to the towers. If they started with 2x the size, there could be an argument that they made an effort.

Towers are what some people might like or not, but if looking for a LCR package, this offering is not right unless you can place 3 towers behind AT screen.

I guess SVS should try much harder in all aspects as there are plenty of others that want to eat their lunch and other meals as well :).
Guess those who need something that isn't less lacking will get one of the other tower speakers as a center, or not and run a phantom center. Once we start getting to a certain price point, no (almost) horizontal center is gonna be the most ideal solution, though there are some.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Guess those who need something that isn't less lacking will get one of the other tower speakers as a center or not and run a phantom center. Once we start getting to a certain price point, no horizontal center is gonna be the most ideal solution, though there are some.
On a side note, Erin's measurements are up and confirmed James's objective and subjective findings.. The most positive note is distortion is well controlled even through the bass region. Note the compression test and take from it what you will...

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
On a side note, Erin's measurements are up and confirmed James's objective and subjective findings.. The most positive note is distortion is well controlled even through the bass region. Note the compression test and take from it what you will...
No real need to get into graphs. It’s just about physics. Whoever tells me that 12kg centre box will work alongside 40kg tower has not tried a better way. And running a phantom centre at this price range is kind of pretty lame.

Not saying that it does not make sense at some price point but after spending $5k for towers there is really no excuse for thinking one can get away with phantoms.

There are obviously many better solutions for people with horizontal center needs to match their bigger towers, and SVS never was, or is, one to provide such solution.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
No real need to get into graphs. It’s just about physics. Whoever tells me that 12kg centre box will work alongside 40kg tower has not tried a better way. And running a phantom centre at this price range is kind of pretty lame.

Not saying that it does not make sense at some price point but after spending $5k for towers there is really no excuse for thinking one can get away with phantoms.

There are obviously many better solutions for people with horizontal center needs to match their bigger towers, and SVS never was, or is, one to provide such solution.
I get what you're saying, however, if you look at the people that are basing home theaters around these speakers tbey can afford (space wise) a vertical center. When you look at Legacy Audio, Revel, and others who offer large full range floor standing speakers have capable centers available and even then, many of their customers do run phantom centers. You really just need your center to handle the powerband not the mid and lowest bass.

O

Oddball

Junior Audioholic
I get what you're saying, however, if you look at the people that are basing home theaters around these speakers tbey can afford (space wise) a vertical center. When you look at Legacy Audio, Revel, and others who offer large full range floor standing speakers have capable centers available and even then, many of their customers do run phantom centers. You really just need your center to handle the powerband not the mid and lowest bass.
If you use a flat panel as display, you can not really or easily afford to use a big tower as a vertical center. Flat panel displays have grown to 115" and next year we will likely see 125-130" models. There might be different opinions how these displays stack against the PJs, but IMO if one can make 115" TV work in their setup, that will be the best option at approx. $15k. Trend of TVs replacing the PJs will be growing and the only limitation will really be how big of a TV you can logistically install in your space. Otherwise it is no brainer. These TV are smoking the PJs in everything but size.

IMO the centre should handle full band signal, as per specifications and best practices. The fact that one is OK with limiting the centre to lower standards is absolutely fine, and world will obviously not come to an end because of that. But then I would recommend not to pair such centre with big towers but with speakers that are similar. Otherwise there will be significant dynamic and tonal imbalance with the front soundstage. Either go big all the way for the front stage, or go smaller all the way.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you use a flat panel as display, you can not really or easily afford to use a big tower as a vertical center. Flat panel displays have grown to 115" and next year we will likely see 125-130" models. There might be different opinions how these displays stack against the PJs, but IMO if one can make 115" TV work in their setup, that will be the best option at approx. $15k. Trend of TVs replacing the PJs will be growing and the only limitation will really be how big of a TV you can logistically install in your space. Otherwise it is no brainer. These TV are smoking the PJs in everything but size.

IMO the centre should handle full band signal, as per specifications and best practices. The fact that one is OK with limiting the centre to lower standards is absolutely fine, and world will obviously not come to an end because of that. But then I would recommend not to pair such centre with big towers but with speakers that are similar. Otherwise there will be significant dynamic and tonal imbalance with the front soundstage. Either go big all the way for the front stage, or go smaller all the way.
I'll just end this for me with I believe we are talking about two entirely different types of customers. I completely understand your position and do not entirely disagree with it, but I believe we're not comparing apples to apples. :)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

The center channel speaker might be more of a match for the Ultra Evolution Titans than they are for the Flagship Pinnacles. Also, SVS did not replace the Ultra surrounds with something new, they decided to introduce a new Ultra Elevation speaker as an upgrade to the Prime Elevation. SVS recommends using Ultra Elevations as surrounds in a 5.1 system but raises them higher than the ear level. In my opinion, SVS dropped the ball on that one. First of all, I don't understand the need for an Ultra Elevation, I don't see how they offer any real benefit over the Prime Elevations other than that they are heavier, if that's even a benefit.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I recommend the svs ultra evolution mega mondo super duper awesome whizz bang butt kikkin sound destroyer 3000.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis