A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
Hi, right now I am running a PC12-NSD and a PB12-NSD that my wife loves the sound but does not care for the size of the units, she said she is all for me getting 2 of the 3000 micro subs. My question is would the sound still be as good? Also do to the size I have the subs in the front left corner and the rear right corner of the room, with the micro subs I could put them in both front corner or would it be best to leave them as they are. Also we use the system for 50٪ music, 25% action then 25% for stuff that the subs will make no difference.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
You can always visit the SVS website, they have a 45 day in home trial.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That micro would be a huge step down in deep bass output. They're designed more for aesthetics and space limitations. They won't dig nearly as deep what you have now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What size room do you have? LOL and I was just pondering this new SVS sub as to how popular it would be with the WAF crowd.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In a room that size (assuming feet not meters) two of them might be acceptable....but depends on your spl and extension goals....and making wife happier goals. Personally if what you have works now I'd wonder just what would you gain by use in the room by smaller boxes particularly? Is it just an aesthetic issue?

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
Yes it is in feet and it is purely for aesthetic reason or make wife happy, however you want to look at it.

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
The pb12-nsd is about 21 x 17 x 22 which according to my wife is huge and I have another stereo in my computer room that I put a Polk Audio PSW10 on(I spent less than $400 total on the system), and she is asking why I couldn't have something similar on the main system. I tried to explain to her that one is a low end system and the other is a upper end system, but I just got the dear in the headlights look from her.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How long have you had the NSDs? I'm assuming quite a while? I'd just stay with it. If those are what you're used to there's a big chance you're gonna be pretty underwhelmed. Even if you got 2 of them. 2 would cost you $1600 and be a significant downgrade in deep bass. The micros are not true subwoofers.

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
I have had one of the NSDs for 9 years and the other for 3 years, if the 3000 micro would not be a good choice what about the sb 2000 pro or sb 3000 as both of these are still smaller than the NSDs?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
When my wife asks me questions like why can’t you have something like that in the main system I just tell her, because it doesn’t do what I want it to. I pay the mortgage too!

So has this been an ongoing conversation? Or is this new? If you don’t really care, a pair of sb2000 would probably split the difference for you guys. I’d tell her no personally, but we all have our battles! Lol

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be looking at an SB-3000 or Hsu ULS-15 mk2 or something in that range. The Paradigm Defiance X12 is also good without being huge.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You have 2 now, are you looking to go to 1? Or would 2 still be OK if they were small? SB2000 Pro x 2? Duals are on sale right now.

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I really like duals, my wife wants smaller footprints and she hates the look of the cylinder. Would 2 SB2000 Pros be comparable to what I have now in performance?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I really like duals, my wife wants smaller footprints and she hates the look of the cylinder. Would 2 SB2000 Pros be comparable to what I have now in performance?
Not really. Hoffman's Iron Law for speaker building (also applies to subwoofers)-

1) Bass Extension

2) Efficiency

3) Small Enclosure

A speaker or sub can have 2 of those 3 attributes, but not all 3. This is dictated by the immutable laws of physics. I don't think the SB2000 will come close. A pair of SB3000s might come close, but no guarantees. They're pretty powerful tho and you might benefit from some room gain.

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
Well, what if I could convince my wife on the larger footprints if I got rid of the cylinder(she really hates the cylinder) would a single PB 2000/3000 play well with my NSD or would you recommend getting 2 PB 2000s?

A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
I am trying to make the wife happy without losing my performance, also I am not against other brands of subs either

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis