A

anthony269

Audiophyte
I am considering an SVS SB12-Plus sub for my HT. Anyone have opinions of this sub? Is there any other sub you would get over the SB12-Plus that is not a "large" sub and can get down to atleast 20-25Hz? My room is 15' x 24'x 7'. I am looking to spend under $1K.
I looked at the HSU's, their amps seem to be smaller on the smaller subs and only get down to 32Hz. The bigger ones would do the job but I dont have the space.

I will be using 70% HT 30% Music.

I love my music so I still want the Sub to sound tight n clean!

Thanks,
Anthony

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I bought one in Rosenut in November. My room is 16 x 18 with a kitchen/breakfast nook behind it and I think it is plenty of sub for the room.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If your looking for a subwoofer with a small footprint with excellent performance. I think you found your sub. :D

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
If your looking for a subwoofer with a small footprint with excellent performance. I think you found your sub. :D
How come SVS doesn't make any more sealed subs to compete with the Velodyne DD series? A small sub with big output is easier to fly by the WAF than a huge one.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
How come SVS doesn't make any more sealed subs to compete with the Velodyne DD series? A small sub with big output is easier to fly by the WAF than a huge one.
Tom at SVS once told me that they don't build subs to compete with others. They are in competition with themselves to put out better and better products. I'm sure that SVS was a business venture for Tom and Ron. But I also believe that there is a tremendous amount of passion in what they do.

And because of the passion we all benefit. :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
and the SB12 is already pretty expensive for the mass market ... any more expensive ... it just wouldn't sell as much. I think even the SB12 doesn't sell as much as the same priced ported subs. only the pansies with WAF buy them! :) kidding of course!

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm using one in a 18 X 20 room with vaulted ceilings.
Honestly, My preference was one of the SVS cylinders. (WAF kicked in). But my SB12 does pretty good in a rather large space.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Tom at SVS once told me that they don't build subs to compete with others. They are in competition with themselves to put out better and better products. I'm sure that SVS was a business venture for Tom and Ron. But I also believe that there is a tremendous amount of passion in what they do.

And because of the passion we all benefit. :D
Well if not to compete with anyone at least to compete with WAF. :D WAF is more fierce than any company.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Well if not to compete with anyone at least to compete with WAF. :D WAF is more fierce than any company.
And I'm sure it was a challenge for SVS to come out of their comfort zone building large enclosure subs to this design. And I'm sure it was that challenge (along with the market opportunity) that fueled SVS to produce this subwoofer.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
And I'm sure it was a challenge for SVS to come out of their comfort zone building large enclosure subs to this design. And I'm sure it was that challenge (along with the market opportunity) that fueled SVS to produce this subwoofer.
Yeah SVS finally emailed me back and told me to hook up the sub in a weird way. To get a Y splitter and connect it to the speaker preout on the preamp and other end going to amp. Only way to have the speakers run full range and not have the sub do the automatic 80Hz crossover. I thought I would have to use the high level speaker inputs on the sub but that makes it do an automatic 80Hz crossover.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah SVS finally emailed me back and told me to hook up the sub in a weird way. To get a Y splitter and connect it to the speaker preout on the preamp and other end going to amp. Only way to have the speakers run full range and not have the sub do the automatic 80Hz crossover. I thought I would have to use the high level speaker inputs on the sub but that makes it do an automatic 80Hz crossover.
the line outs on the SB12 do an 80hz HP crossover
the speaker outs will depend on the connected speakers - but is around 100hz HP

why would you want your speakers to run full range? that would double up on the overlapping frequencies and eat up a lot of amp power for the mains.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
the line outs on the SB12 do an 80hz HP crossover
the speaker outs will depend on the connected speakers - but is around 100hz HP

why would you want your speakers to run full range? that would double up on the overlapping frequencies and eat up a lot of amp power for the mains.
Because I want the speakers to blend better by setting the crossover at lower than 80Hz. I tried it with my friend on his PB12/2 and Denon receiver and my Epos mixed a lot better with the sub when the crossover was set to around 55Hz. Setting the speakers to small and having crossover at 80Hz didn't sound too great. The 2ch preamp has no sub out.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
looks like you need a separate crossover :) behringer DCX models

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
pre amp outputs - dcx inputs - dcx HP outputs and dcx LP outputs (fully variable btw)

808htfan

Junior Audioholic
I am considering an SVS SB12-Plus sub for my HT. Anyone have opinions of this sub? Is there any other sub you would get over the SB12-Plus that is not a "large" sub and can get down to atleast 20-25Hz? My room is 15' x 24'x 7'. I am looking to spend under $1K.
I looked at the HSU's, their amps seem to be smaller on the smaller subs and only get down to 32Hz. The bigger ones would do the job but I dont have the space.

I will be using 70% HT 30% Music.

I love my music so I still want the Sub to sound tight n clean!

Thanks,
Anthony
A bunch of guys at avsforum like the Epik Valor.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
pre amp outputs - dcx inputs - dcx HP outputs and dcx LP outputs (fully variable btw)
So like this?
preamp -> dcx inputs -> dcx HP outputs -> amplifier -> speakers
preamp -> dcx inputs -> dcx LP outputs -> subwoofer

Hmm I will definitely have to check that out thanks.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
So like this?
preamp -> dcx inputs -> dcx HP outputs -> amplifier -> speakers
preamp -> dcx inputs -> dcx LP outputs -> subwoofer

Hmm I will definitely have to check that out thanks.
yes exactly. just to verify: but only one pair of inputs go into the DCX

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
Tom at SVS once told me that they don't build subs to compete with others.
Not to stir things up, but that statement is not true.

If you go back long enough, you will see that Tom and/or Ron (before SVS) was telling everyone that would listen about how wonderful HSU RESEARCH. subs were.

I'd say that they based all of their initial (up to a year or so) products on Dr Hsu's work (copy if you will).

They definately competed with HSU (successfully I may add)

m2c

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis