SVS Prime tower vs Bookshelf for corner placement

V

vivekv

Audiophyte
Dear Experts,

I am trying to decide between SVS Prime tower or Bookshelfs as main speakers with following limitations on placement.
(though the price difference of 50% should be easy to determine which way to go but still i *want* to have the bigger towers)

Room Size: 14' x15' x 8'
Prime use: 80% music, 20% tv
Placement: TV at 45deg angle in a corner of the room (wall mounted)
distance from Wall:
If I get the towers, they will be very near to wall, about 3"-6" away from the wall
If I get the bookshelf svs primes, I can place them on a low height custom made stand (15" tall stands) so the speakers top edge will be under the TV. Then I can give them a generous (lol) 12"-18" spacing from speaker back wall.

Someday I also would buy an SVS non-ported sub for this room.
AVR is Denon X3000.

So the question is, between these two sub-optimal settings which is better?
I know answer could be: both are bad settings, but if your experience helps me decide between the two I would be grateful.

Thank you,
Vivek
--------------
Basement: Marantz SR6008, EMP E55Ti, PB12-NSD

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Corner placement is not sub optimal actually, because it moves the first reflection farther out. 12-18" is adequate clearance for most speakers, though more is better. Between the two options, and if you will be without the sub for a while, I'd opt for the towers. If sooner, the bookshelf speakers might be my preference because they offer more positioning options.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Hard to visualize without a picture diagram of some kind, but since the bookshelves don’t have the extension and bass output that the towers do, they would probably benefit being closer to the wall than the towers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

V

vivekv

Audiophyte
thank you both for your replies.

i think I will go with the bookshelf speakers and apply the money "saved " to the Sub and get it quicker.

thanks

R

Ray Mendez

Audiophyte
The aren't very many comparison reviews out there. Were you able to test out the bookshelves? I'd love the towers, but the bookshelves with the center would be a great price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis