Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Shush, you two! :p

Yes, it's an inch off, but the swivel makes up for it. *twitch*

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Hey, it's only cause we care.
I know man. I lol'd.

My son walked in (he hadn't seen it yet), took a look and said "wow! badass!". He's one of my harshest critics. That made me feel really good. :)

I gotta say, sitting here and looking at that bank of speakers with the tv mounted above makes me happy in all the right ways.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, my kids are almost as hard on me as I am on myself. They don't hold back very much, but I'd rather have them be honest. It's ok. I'm a big girl... oh wait.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, my kids are almost as hard on me as I am on myself. They don't hold back very much, but I'd rather have them be honest. It's ok. I'm a big girl... oh wait.
Lol

I completely agree about rather have him be honest. Though I sometimes have to remind him there's a difference between being truthful and bludgeoning people with the truth. Yeah, I coined that. :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol

I completely agree about rather have him be honest. Though I sometimes have to remind him there's a difference between being truthful and bludgeoning people with the truth. Yeah, I coined that. :p
Lol. I agree. I think sometimes people need to hear the truth, and not necessarily in a fluffy rainbow and bunny kind of way, but maybe not in a Gordon Ramsay way either. Maybe Ramsay in a bunny suit?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got the new tv/entertainment stand. I don't love it, but for $19 I can live with it for a while. Eventually I hope to get a really nice av stand. Maybe one of those step designs.

20170513_154516-1305x734.jpg

I love the new center. Made more of a difference than I thought it would and I'm looking at redbox every time I walk by now. I'm still mainly 2 channel, but I'm spending more time enjoying the audio in movies.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love how it looks now too. It just exudes power, quality and hifi. These Ultras with the MK5's are enough to keep me happy for a long time.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It looks really awesome but I bet it sounds even better. Nice job.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It looks really awesome but I bet it sounds even better. Nice job.

Thanks man.

It's nice to hear that from folks who actually appreciate it. None of my friends are really into hifi. One of my best friends has the ability to do a nice setup, but goes for aesthetics first. I've explained, he just doesn't get it. If I even say the word "speaker" around my wife she shoots me the hairy eyeball... :p

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks man.

It's nice to hear that from folks who actually appreciate it. None of my friends are really into hifi. One of my best friends has the ability to do a nice setup, but goes for aesthetics first. I've explained, he just doesn't get it. If I even say the word "speaker" around my wife she shoots me the hairy eyeball... :p
It is so funny you bring that up. Like we both built, a lot of people on these forms have built nice systems that sound incredible but people don't appreciate it. Like I'm blown away by the sound, and listen to every single sound coming from the system in marvel and with love but my wife is just like ok it's movie sound. Like how can two people listen to the same exact movie on the same exact system and have two completely different reactions? It's absolutely fascinating to me!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey man, dig the stand. I have to say it looks better without the receiver on top. It's nice and clean looking. Dig it...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. I had the receiver on top temporarily while I was waiting for the new stand. It got pretty hot in the cubby I had it in before. It runs a lot cooler now.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For electronics cabinets, I find that less is more. I do not like big heavy cabinets, they are awful, because:
  • They make wiring changes a chore
  • They eat up more floor space (that could be used for a good subwoofer or two)
  • They are a pain to move
  • They are much worse for ventilation
  • They do not allow for good center speakers
  • Sometimes they do not allow for any good front stage speakers at all
  • They are bad for acoustics
and those are just the reasons I can think of right off the top of my head.

Look at this thing for example:

Some people see that and think it looks great. To me that looks like a godamn nightmare. Seriously, what a horror show. I would much rather have a cheapo $50 entertainment cabinet from Ikea. Hell, I would rather have a bunch of cinderblocks and some plywood planks as an equipment rack.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just want to add if I die and go to hell, and they have assigned rooms down there, this is what they are going to have waiting for me in my room:

..because they will know how much it will make me suffer. And the first time I see it I will say "f*** you satan you sunofabich, you got me good on this one."

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
For electronics cabinets, I find that less is more. I do not like big heavy cabinets, they are awful, because:
  • They make wiring changes a chore
  • They eat up more floor space (that could be used for a good subwoofer or two)
  • They are a pain to move
  • They are much worse for ventilation
  • They do not allow for good center speakers
  • Sometimes they do not allow for any good front stage speakers at all
  • They are bad for acoustics
and those are just the reasons I can think of right off the top of my head.

Look at this thing for example:

Some people see that and think it looks great. To me that looks like a godamn nightmare. Seriously, what a horror show. I would much rather have a cheapo $50 entertainment cabinet from Ikea. Hell, I would rather have a bunch of cinderblocks and some plywood planks as an equipment rack.
Lmao! I don't know if this one was aimed at me, cause I did mention it before, but I did make one out of cinder blocks and shelving boards. It actually was pretty cool but my wife hated it.
If I end up in hell, I'll find a flat screen mounted high above the mantle of a fireplace.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Lmao! I don't know if this one was aimed at me, cause I did mention it before, but I did make one out of cinder blocks and shelving boards. It actually was pretty cool but my wife hated it.
If I end up in hell, I'll find a flat screen mounted high above the mantle of a fireplace.
Not aimed at you, William, it is something I have seen here and there. Yeah, it's really ghetto, but hey, it works.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I used to be one of those guys who liked big, gaudy entertainment centers like that. I totally agree that it just makes it a major chore to change anything out. I've also come to the conclusion that I'd rather attention be drawn to my speakers and tv than the center that holds the stuff.

I'm drawn to something like this with cable management:

contemporary-entertainment-centers-and-tv-stands.jpg

I like the look. It's nice, minimalist and will hold all of my equipment.

*Edit: This is the one I bought almost 20 years ago. It's solid wood, not a laminate. I didn't have the heart to donate or give it away so I repurposed it as a sort of display for my wife's precious moments stuff.

20170514_094443-1305x734.jpg

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis