SVS PC2000 Cylinder Subwoofer Review

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
That depends entirely on how much SPL you are after. For my own tastes, I would want at least two PC-12 Pluses even in a small room. For some people, a single PC-12 NSD would be more than enough even in a large room.
shadyJ since the price difference between a pair of PC 2000s and a single PC-12 + are only a few hundred quid what is your opinion assuming that the goal is a balance between spl and frequency response across multiple seating positions?

I am in compete agreement that a pair of PC-12 Plus would be preferred but for those on a budget the pair of PC-2000s vs a single PC-12 Plus is a interesting thought exercise considering the minimal price delta between the two options.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would take two PC-2000s over a single PC12-Plus in a heartbeat. The Plus series of subs are getting pretty long in the tooth, they are SVS's oldest sub at the moment. My guess is they probably don't have a huge advantage over the PC-2000s, maybe mostly only at frequencies below 25 Hz. Above that, I would guess maybe only a 2 dB or so advantage, if that. Keep in mind this is all speculation. For sure knowledge, ask SVS.

I am also guessing that SVS will revamp the Plus platform within the next year to bring their new amplifier technology from the 16-Ultras and 4000s to the Plus series. They will probably rename the Plus series the '3000' series, since that fills the gap between the 2000s and 4000s. SVS may take that opportunity to enhance the driver and get more performance out of it.

C

cardsdoc

Enthusiast
I would take two PC-2000s over a single PC12-Plus in a heartbeat. The Plus series of subs are getting pretty long in the tooth, they are SVS's oldest sub at the moment. My guess is they probably don't have a huge advantage over the PC-2000s, maybe mostly only at frequencies below 25 Hz. Above that, I would guess maybe only a 2 dB or so advantage, if that. Keep in mind this is all speculation. For sure knowledge, ask SVS.

I am also guessing that SVS will revamp the Plus platform within the next year to bring their new amplifier technology from the 16-Ultras and 4000s to the Plus series. They will probably rename the Plus series the '3000' series, since that fills the gap between the 2000s and 4000s. SVS may take that opportunity to enhance the driver and get more performance out of it.
When I was considering moving from PC-2000 to PC12+ this is what SVS told me:

"In the 20 Hz mode, a pair of PB12-Plus will provide about 60-70% higher dynamic output than a pair of PB-2000s, along with comparable deep extension. In the 16 Hz mode, a pair of PB12-Plus will provide about 40-50% higher dynamic output than a pair of PB-2000s, along with considerably better deep extension and higher clean output in the 13-18 Hz band."

In my experience the biggest difference was cleaner bass and more output under 20hz in extended mode which I enjoyed. It does have mildly more overall output but I was never listening at high levels so didn't really take advantage of it. Having a digital amp control on the PC12+ I thought was very valuable especially when experimenting a lot with duals and placement. Agree dual PC-2000 over single PC12+. NO question there. I actually just traded up my PC12+s to PC-4000s. My 1 year trade up window was about to end and couldn't resist even though it is probably overkill for me.

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
Any chance there will be a review of the new Pro version?
Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Any chance there will be a review of the new Pro version?
Thanks
Nope. The reason is that the pro version will behave nearly identically to the box pro version. If you want to know how the pro version performs, just look at the PB numbers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis