SVS PC2000 Cylinder Subwoofer Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There is a lot to like about the SVS PC2000 Cylinder Subwoofer. Its two greatest distinctions are the light weight and the very clean and linear performance that earned our Large Bassaholic rating. The PC2000 secures SVS's long standing reputation of being among the best manufacturer direct subwoofer companies in the world.

With their 45 day trial period and free shipping both ways, it's a risk free purchase that can really enhance your home theater enjoyment. Read on to find out why.

Read: SVS PC2000 Cylinder Subwoofer Review

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Seems to perform really well indeed for the price it goes for! I was considering these cylinder subs myself as well for the price/performance but WAF is quite low with these so I had to reconsider my options. Would love to see review like this for BK Monolith+ and XXLS400! :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own a large cylinder sub and they can offer a lot of bang for the floor space :)

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
'' Mullen, SVS’s Director of Technology, said that they went through 17 iterations of the driver for reasons of performance, durability, and reliability before all criteria and design goals were met. ''

ofc we believe - So they changed the dust cap and they put a logo on it

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
'' Mullen, SVS’s Director of Technology, said that they went through 17 iterations of the driver for reasons of performance, durability, and reliability before all criteria and design goals were met. ''

ofc we believe - So they changed the dust cap and they put a logo on it
There are some fairly major performance differences between the 2000 driver and NSD driver. There is definitely more going on than a dustcap change.

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
There are some fairly major performance differences between the 2000 driver and NSD driver. There is definitely more going on than a dustcap change.
did u had the chance to compare them side by side? i'm asking bcs 90% of time audio brands say that they have custom drivers but actually they just add a logo or different dust cap or some different color or some rubber cover over the magnet

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
did u had the chance to compare them side by side? i'm asking bcs 90% of time audio brands say that they have custom drivers but actually they just add a logo or different dust cap or some different color or some rubber cover over the magnet
The driver has been with the pb nsd and pb 2000. With measured differences.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I've enjoyed my pair of PC2000's since their release date and they have preformed flawlessly for me since then.

They even have the power to shatter tempered glass tops of tv stands when driven to reference levels with low frequency content.

caveat exploding glass may only occur if significantly heavy objects are unsecured on shelves above the glass surfaces you would like to see destroyed ;)

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I never understood why cylinders have lower WAF? A nice black cylinder is MUCH easier to put in a corner than a massive black box. Plus they are much lighter and structurally better (no need for bracing). I don't understand why others don't make more of these.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

They even have the power to shatter tempered glass tops of tv stands when driven to reference levels with low frequency content.

.. ;)
Is this from 1st hand experience? ;) :D

S

Sal1950

Audioholic Intern
The cylinder shaped housing design can provide incredible rigidity at a great weight savings over other designs. Dr Hsu of Hsu Research launched his company back around 1990 with this approach. I owned a pair of 7 foot tall HRSW12's for over 20 years, they could deliver incredible bass power into my room well down into the teens. A modern DSP active design like this should offer awesome performance.
Watch out if you have cats though. LOL

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Watch out if you have cats though. LOL
If you mean the scratching post issues...Apparently not an issue, as far as I can tell. I was worried about this, and searched very hard for an actual case of someone having damage done to their SVS subs by cat and literally could not find a single actual example of it happening (lots of people warning it would be a problem, but no actual case of it actually *being* a problem). My own cats tested my subs (SVS PC12 NSD) out, then gave up because the material just doesn't work - their claws slide over it, they can't dig in at all.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PC-12 NSD and the PC-2000 use different kinds of coverings. I think that the PC-2000 is likely more vulnerable to cats than the PC-12 NSD. It would not be a major project to cover the PC-2000 with a different kind of fabric though: just unscrew the driver, unscrew the top cap, remove the staples holding the fabric on, and applying the new fabric. As long as the new fabric is not too thick, you could put anything on there, and if you wanted, you could make the PC-2000 very decorative. Or, you could just leave the fabric off and paint the cylinder. Would make for an interesting canvas.

S

Sal1950

Audioholic Intern
If you mean the scratching post issues...Apparently not an issue, as far as I can tell. I was worried about this, and searched very hard for an actual case of someone having damage done to their SVS subs by cat and literally could not find a single actual example of it happening (lots of people warning it would be a problem, but no actual case of it actually *being* a problem). My own cats tested my subs (SVS PC12 NSD) out, then gave up because the material just doesn't work - their claws slide over it, they can't dig in at all.
You know it's funny. I had 2 cats all the time I had my Hsu's and they never touched them either. They looked like the perfect scratching post to me. LOL

M

Miro

Audiophyte
You guys are awesome!!!!
This is soooo long and accurate review ... Crazy!!!
I love you guys for your knowledge and dedication !!!!
Bravo!!!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis