SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer Review

D

DangeRuss

Audiophyte
Excellent Review

I just wished you did an in-depth review on it's now discontinued little brother .... the PB10-NSD. I would have loved to see it compares to this new 12" model.

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
PB12-NSD was placed in the front right corner of the room firing into the corner about 8 inches from the walls.
Please excuse my ignorance here, but does the above statement in the review mean that the subwoofer was placed with the driver facing the corner? Does facing the driver towards the wall boundaries instead of toward the listening position make a difference in in how the subwoofer will perform for better or worse? Thanks in advance,

Ben

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Please excuse my ignorance here, but does the above statement in the review mean that the subwoofer was placed with the driver facing the corner? Does facing the driver towards the wall boundaries instead of toward the listening position make a difference in in how the subwoofer will perform for better or worse?
Josh actually made a note about this in the Funk 18.0 review:
Funk Audio FW18.0 Sound Quality Tests | Audioholics

Note: I often get asked why I fire the drivers into the wall or the corner and the reason is because it often flattens out one or two response notches that can appear from cancellation due to the reflection from the wall. Not in the deep bass where the sub does its heavy lifting and the wavelengths are too long to be affected much, but up higher in frequency around or above the crossover to the other speakers. Depending on the placement or size of the sub this does not always amount to much but it can help in the crossover region or mid-bass sometimes. Of course aesthetically most people would not make this choice.
The phenomenon in question is also referred to as the Allison effect.

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
Thank you for pointing that out Steve. I just wanted to make sure I was reading the review correctly.

Ben

M

mbruno1089

Audiophyte
I have the opportunity to buy a used PB12-nsd for $499. It was purchased in 2013 and is "lightly used"
trying to stay around $500, would it be best to buy this sub or a new sub for a similar price, possibly the pb1000?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I think you should have started your own Thread

But I would not buy a 7 year old NSD for $500.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I have the opportunity to buy a used PB12-nsd for $499. It was purchased in 2013 and is "lightly used"
trying to stay around $500, would it be best to buy this sub or a new sub for a similar price, possibly the pb1000?
Make sure you listen to it. I have a pair of NSD 12 cylindrical subs that are roughly 8 years old and one started making rattling noises recently at anything above modest sound levels. I'm not sure what the issue is and I have no idea if it's due to a defect in common with the box speakers, but you don't know what you're getting.

$500 seems a little high to me. A new VTF-2 MK5 is only slightly more than that ($539) and you know what you're getting

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Make sure you listen to it. I have a pair of NSD 12 cylindrical subs that are roughly 8 years old and one started making rattling noises recently at anything above modest sound levels. I'm not sure what the issue is and I have no idea if it's due to a defect in common with the box speakers, but you don't know what you're getting.

$500 seems a little high to me. A new VTF-2 MK5 is only slightly more than that ($539) and you know what you're getting

Sound like the woofer has been knocked out of alignment. SVS should be able to take care of you there. The platform they use for that sub is the Peerless XXLS 12". If for some reason they don't carry that driver in stock, you can always buy one elsewhere. Here is the 4-ohm version and here is the 8-ohm version. My guess is that SVS uses a 4-ohm driver, but sometimes it says on the driver itself, so you can just remove it and look for yourself.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think you should have started your own Thread

But I would not buy a 7 year old NSD for $500.
The NSD is a fine sub, but $500 is too expensive for a sub of that age and level of performance. SVS's newer 12"s have seen major improvements since the NSD.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
SVS sells them new at that price around the holidays. Or at least they did the last several years. $250 would be a decent deal if the sub is excellent condition.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The NSD while older is still a better sub than the pb1000. I would say 399 is more appt for pricing, simply due to age, lightly used or not, and I would definitely choose it over the 1000.
As for a 500 dollar budget, I would find another 200 bucks and buy a pc/pb2000 from the outlet.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I bet he’d take 400. Give it a try or get the pb2000 as stated by Willy.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Sound like the woofer has been knocked out of alignment. SVS should be able to take care of you there. The platform they use for that sub is the Peerless XXLS 12". If for some reason they don't carry that driver in stock, you can always buy one elsewhere. Here is the 4-ohm version and here is the 8-ohm version. My guess is that SVS uses a 4-ohm driver, but sometimes it says on the driver itself, so you can just remove it and look for yourself.
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis