Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
drgroovee said:
Uhhhhh.... right! Edit feature.... sure. I knew that was there ;)
I think it was past 30 anyway, though..
oops.
Um, I've edited posts from days ago if I see a spelling error...

Anywho, in reply to your post,

You basically said what I said, with more words.

Payce,

SheepStar

Last edited:
M

moodyda

Audioholic Intern
drgroovee said:
Uhhhhh.... right! Edit feature.... sure. I knew that was there ;)
I think it was past 30 anyway, though..
oops.
I just edited my original post. That was started a week ago. :) BTW dgroovee, there was no baiting going on!! I simply was asking for some advice on what to match with my current system (no small satellite speakers here). Mike Hopkins is the one who made the recommendation, maybe you should consult with him. ;)

M

mike.hopkins

Banned
Hi Yall,
Well I am glad to see we have an interesting dicussion going on here! So, if we agree that two subs will give more even bass response than one, plus increase output (regardless of same size or different?) Then from a cost standpoint, would an 8" sub and a 12' sub be better than a single 12" if prices were the same? You would have the added output of both subs say...35hz and up, but still have the deep 20hz bass from the 12". Keep in mind, I try and help customers find a good option for their situation, both sonically and monetarily. So Sheep, if two 15" subs will have the same musical characteristics of two 8" subs, what is wrong with a 12" and a 8" if you can't afford two subs of the same size?

Thanks,
Mike

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
mike.hopkins said:
So Sheep, if two 15" subs will have the same musical characteristics of two 8" subs, what is wrong with a 12" and a 8" if you can't afford two subs of the same size?

Thanks,
Mike
Yes, it will. I have 12 and 10inch subs running in my setup ATM, but its still 2 different sounds. Just because Aperion makes both the subs, doesn't mean they will have the same sound, with one playing deeper.

Idealy, I would recommend buying 1 subwoofer, and waiting to by the some one again once they can afford it.

SheepStar

D

drgroovee

Enthusiast
Sheep said:
Yeah, I agreed with that part. What I didn't agree with is mixing 2 different subs, one being the more musical, and one being the movie sub. The only way this would make sense, is if one of the subs has design compromise. You do not need 2 totally different subs for accurate music and movie reproduction.

SheepStar
I'm totally confused. What you don't aggree with is mixing 2 differnt subs, one being the more "musical" and one being the movie sub.- understood there. But, at the moment, you have a 10" and 12" and they sound different - OK But different how? Doesn't this only make sense if one of those two subs you have has a design compromise?

As a side note:
Thinking of starting a different thread on "sound adjectives" I need some new ones.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
drgroovee said:
I'm totally confused. What you don't aggree with is mixing 2 differnt subs, one being the more "musical" and one being the movie sub.- understood there. But, at the moment, you have a 10" and 12" and they sound different - OK But different how? Doesn't this only make sense if one of those two subs you have has a design compromise?

As a side note:
Thinking of starting a different thread on "sound adjectives" I need some new ones.
I am not recommending mixing 2 different subs. I happen to have my system setup like that because I am reviewing one, and own the other. I also have 6 seats (2 rows of 3) in my theater, and this helps fill in the space.

I personally didn't buy the other subwoofer for my system, it's my brothers. I wouldn't BUY a non matching subwoofer.

SheepStar

D

drgroovee

Enthusiast
Uhhhm.. Yeah.... I'm going to have to go ahead and uhhh... disagree with you there (office space style)

Given that we have the luxury of trying tons of different combinations of speakers and subwoofers (built by both us and other manufacturers) in multiple room scenarios with a wide range of electronics, we are able to go beyond theory and put into practice many of these ideas to draw conclusions using both science and our ears to judge the results. Another benefit is the sort of reference material we have available in addition to the usual suspects- Since many of us are recording musicians we can utilize music that we created, mixed and mastered ourselves. One can say with confidence that they "own" the bass mix quite literally.

Even if that wasn't the case; even if we were, what was the phrase? ah... "infantile stupids" It would be hard to argue with thousands of listeners and several audio journalists that witnessed a 7.4 system utilizing two each of two very different subwoofers and loved it. Two 8" passive radiator subs and two 12" ported subs managed to blend together amazingly well. Really well- In a rather oddly shaped hotel suite, no less.

Take a look:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/aperion-audio-he-2006.shtml

Disclaimer: This link is NOT an adverpost, rather the opinion of a third party who witnessed the topic at hand.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
drgroovee said:
Uhhhm.. Yeah.... I'm going to have to go ahead and uhhh... disagree with you there (office space style)

Given that we have the luxury of trying tons of different combinations of speakers and subwoofers (built by both us and other manufacturers) in multiple room scenarios with a wide range of electronics, we are able to go beyond theory and put into practice many of these ideas to draw conclusions using both science and our ears to judge the results. Another benefit is the sort of reference material we have available in addition to the usual suspects- Since many of us are recording musicians we can utilize music that we created, mixed and mastered ourselves. One can say with confidence that they "own" the bass mix quite literally.

Even if that wasn't the case; even if we were, what was the phrase? ah... "infantile stupids" It would be hard to argue with thousands of listeners and several audio journalists that witnessed a 7.4 system utilizing two each of two very different subwoofers and loved it. Two 8" passive radiator subs and two 12" ported subs managed to blend together amazingly well. Really well- In a rather oddly shaped hotel suite, no less.
That's different. You have the 2 8APRs(typo?) in the front sound stage, and I'm assuming the S12s in the rear sound stage(?) Thats how my subwoofers are setup. 10inch behind my second row, and the 12inch in the front right corner. I don't like the sound of my subwoofer setup(personally) but when I am entertaining guests, I use them both to help fill in the seating area. When it's just me, I run only 1 of them.

Also, you have a pair of each. Having 1 pair in each stage also helps with blending (Think: How speakers in the front and rear stages don't have to match to still yield a cohesive sound).

Anywho, this is turning into an argument of preferences, and usually, these get nowhere fast.

SheepStar
Edit: BTW, Infantile Stupids is from Family Guy :)

D

drgroovee

Enthusiast
Hey Sheep,

You're right in that arguments over preferences go nowhere fast and I don't want to take this that route either! Frankly, I find subwoofer chatter a lot of fun.
Speaking of sub fun... I'm working on putting together a sub based on THIS design for my own personal use. Thank goodness there are some folks around here that are handy with woodworking because I'm helpless in that department. Have you had a chance to check something like this out?

Man.. the Danish do produce some good stuff. Think I need to take a little R&R in Denmark... maybe hit Amsterdam while I'm in the 'hood. :D

Cheers

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
drgroovee said:
Hey Sheep,

You're right in that arguments over preferences go nowhere fast and I don't want to take this that route either! Frankly, I find subwoofer chatter a lot of fun.
Speaking of sub fun... I'm working on putting together a sub based on THIS design for my own personal use. Thank goodness there are some folks around here that are handy with woodworking because I'm helpless in that department. Have you had a chance to check something like this out?

Man.. the Danish do produce some good stuff. Think I need to take a little R&R in Denmark... maybe hit Amsterdam while I'm in the 'hood. :D

Cheers
Yes actually, Alpine makes a similar subwoofer. I've seen it in person, but it wasn't operational.

Once SVS hits Canada, I will have 2 subs of the exact same make and model. :)

SheepStar

B

bandit

Audioholic
Hey wait !!!! I've got an idea. Because I'm pretty sure that my sub is faster than all the of yours, I suggest a race. Maybe we can all meet down at Indy with our subs and run em !!!!

Bandit ;)

ps. incase anyone thinks I'm serious... I am kidding. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis