SVS big price increases!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not necessarily, this might actually even the playing field I would think. I mean if it's hard to build over seas, and getting more expensive to ship to the US. Maybe building here with no shipping issues would make it the same to produce.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It's not just the difference in logistics of the finished product, but all that goes with producing something here in the way of consumer electronics....just think of all the things that would need to happen in the way of factories, suppliers/supplies of components (and logistics for same), labor, environmental issues, etc.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It's not just the difference in logistics of the finished product, but all that goes with producing something here in the way of consumer electronics....just think of all the things that would need to happen in the way of factories, suppliers/supplies of components (and logistics for same), labor, environmental issues, etc.
I have a question and it might sound very dumb. When we talk about these companies, such as SVS or HSU or Aperion building their products overseas does that mean they own a plant in China or does that mean some generic speaker factory that builds lots of speakers for lots of brands build these speakers for these companies? I read Aperion actually owns a plant in China. It's there some factory in China with an SVS logo on it, or. Definitive technology logo on it? How's this all work you think? I know stupid questions.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
There's a huge backlog of cargo ships waiting to offload in the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, CA. Maybe a lot of electronic gear on those ships, so SVS raises prices to realize a profit now since cargo is sitting out on the ocean! (Orange County Register, Sept 24, 2021)

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Maybe, I guess this is maybe wishful thinking but maybe this get some of these companies to manufacture on the USA again? Maybe we'll see some move back to the US. A guy can dream I guess.

SVS is in Youngstown Ohio

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
SVS is in Youngstown Ohio
Well I know they are in Ohio but I don't think they build the speakers or subs there. Do they? That would be impressive if they did.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a question and it might sound very dumb. When we talk about these companies, such as SVS or HSU or Aperion building their products overseas does that mean they own a plant in China or does that mean some generic speaker factory that builds lots of speakers for lots of brands build these speakers for these companies? I read Aperion actually owns a plant in China. It's there some factory in China with an SVS logo on it, or. Definitive technology logo on it? How's this all work you think? I know stupid questions.

I'd guess its mostly contract manufacturing for most of the audio guys. Probably lots of hoops to jump thru to "own" your business in China I'd think as well....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I know they are in Ohio but I don't think they build the speakers or subs there. Do they? That would be impressive if they did.

Where does it say it's made on the back of your subs?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Where does it say it's made on the back of your subs?
That was a great question. The back of the PB-2000 Pro says designed by SVS in Youngstown Ohio, built exclusively in China for SVS. That solves that. I think it was obvious but that's confirmation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was a great question. The back of the PB-2000 Pro says designed by SVS in Youngstown Ohio, built exclusively in China for SVS. That solves that. I think it was obvious but that's confirmation.

LOL used to be something I had to advise on in my former profession of customs broker/international freight forwarder.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
My Pb 1000’s are built in China as are there other lines I believe and Iam not sure on there cables I would assume they are China made aswell. There rca plugs look rather generic on them .

Not saying there stuff is not well built cause it is really well built . I’ve not used there cables in any capacity but the subs are very good. I usually make my own cables or out source them from Europe better selection and better workmen ship .

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Last June, I bought a Denon AVR-X3700H and I got it for $1649 CDN and that was a good price then, as most stores were asking $1799 for it. Now every store is asking $1999 for it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
LOL and the prices would go up even more to pay for such....
That is a myth. Chinese junk is actually in many cases getting more expensive. Last Friday I went out to buy a 50' air hose reel for my workshop. It was one to wall mount and pull out, with a ratchet recoil release. The Chinese junk, and that what it was, cost $138.00. The much better made and far more substantial, and better designed unit, made in the USA by Chicago pneumatic cost $58.00! Chicago pneumatic have made excellent air tools and accessories for years.

In fact made in USA is getting increasingly competitive against Far Eastern junk.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It means built wrong too often, in some generic sweat shop, here today and gone tomorrow.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is a myth. Chinese junk is actually in many cases getting more expensive. Last Friday I went out to buy a 50' air hose reel for my workshop. It was one to wall mount and pull out, with a ratchet recoil release. The Chinese junk, and that what it was, cost $138.00. The much better made and far more substantial, and better designed unit, made in the USA by Chicago pneumatic cost $58.00! Chicago pneumatic have made excellent air tools and accessories for years.

In fact made in USA is getting increasingly competitive against Far Eastern junk.
No, it's not a myth if you just started moving production here....perhaps in time it could work out. We'll see if brexit works first, eh?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Whats curious to me is how are companies like JBL getting away with 50% off sales while an internet direct company like SVS with no middleman are raising their prices this much? Were not talking a 50 dollar increase across the board for every speaker or sub these are huge markups. Isn't is 300 extra fir each ultra tower? That's a 600 dollar price increase if I got that right even 200 dollars each a 400 markup is insane

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Whats curious to me is how are companies like JBL getting away with 50% off sales while an internet direct company like SVS with no middleman are raising their prices this much? Were not talking a 50 dollar increase across the board for every speaker or sub these are huge markups. Isn't is 300 extra fir each ultra tower? That's a 600 dollar price increase if I got that right even 200 dollars each a 400 markup is insane
Hard to know unless you are a principal of SVS to an extent. JBL is part of Harman Intl which is part of Samsung, so their economies of scale are a bit different from a relatively small player like SVS.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I wonder if people are getting more for their used gear? I think I've noticed that for used power AMPs.
Prices for good used gear is rising and fast. People like me who want to avoid Far Eastern gear will pay a premium for good used gear.

Take my Quad 909 power amps exquisitely built and designed in the UK, that sold I think in the US for $999.00 in the US 20 years ago. I own 10 of these superb amps and bought them at between $600 and $900 each used on eBay.

Now just look at the prices these are commanding.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hard to know unless you are a principal of SVS to an extent. JBL is part of Harman Intl which is part of Samsung, so their economies of scale are a bit different from a relatively small player like SVS.....
Guess I'll be sticking to a company that has bigger economy of scale then. That markup is 300 each for the ultra tower. That means to buy a pair your literally buying another tower that's a HUGE markup bro. And honestly risky for them.

It's widely known that although you get a lot for your dollar some of that cost is inflated to cover there bill of rights and other perks. They are already known for not being the price to value company they were over other ID companies that they compete against.

Price increases to this level take it to a whole nother level on that disparity. If monoprice and others do manage to not increase that much they could have problems I mean would I rather spend 800 on a monolith 12 or 1100 on a 2000 pro?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guess I'll be sticking to a company that has bigger economy of scale then. That markup is 300 each for the ultra tower. That means to buy a pair your literally buying another tower that's a HUGE markup bro. And honestly risky for them.

It's widely known that although you get a lot for your dollar some of that cost is inflated to cover there bill of rights and other perks. They are already known for not being the price to value company they were over other ID companies that they compete against.

Price increases to this level take it to a whole nother level on that disparity. If monoprice and others do manage to not increase that much they could have problems I mean would I rather spend 800 on a monolith 12 or 1100 on a 2000 pro?
I also wonder if to an extent the expansion of marketing by SVS (into the B&M marketplace and internationally) as well as change of ownership has somewhat come to haunt them when money gets tight or suppliers raise prices, and your logistics expenses climb, etc. Like I said, hard to know unless you actually know by paying the bills....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No, it's not a myth if you just started moving production here....perhaps in time it could work out. We'll see if brexit works first, eh?
As far as is possible avoiding Far Eastern manufacture pays off. Of the 54 loudspeaker drivers in use in this home 48 were made in Europe or the US. Only 6 were made in the Far East. Of the two sets of speakers I have not in use none of the 14 drivers were made in the Far East.

All the crossovers were designed and made by me in the US, and sourced from components made in the USA or Europe.

Which gets me to the next point. If you are worried about the cost of your speakers, especially subs, then design and build them yourselves.

There is absolutely no need to buy a sub from SVS, HSU etc. no matter that they are good. You can do better. Designing a really good sub is not rocket science and actually pretty straightforward. If you don't have wood shop, you can now find a C & C cabinet maker who will build you well crafted cabinets for very reasonable money.
You can power it with a plate amp, or external amp. You will come out many dollars ahead, and built in the USA, I suspect except for the amp unfortunately, unless you go vintage, but that would be cost you, as above.

Designing the other speakers is a little mow tricky, but most of you cold master it, and have far better speakers, than you have now at less cost.

May be these price rises will be just the incentive many of you need to start designing your own speaker systems.

Not only that you can build more novel designs. You can download a transmission line design program from my website for free. That is the best TL design program available. You will need a crossover modelling program, but that will still not break the bank.

Keeping speaker cost reasonable is in your hands if you think about it. The majority of the best speaker drivers, are NOT made in China!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis