SVS 1Yr Sub Upgrade

D

DigitalD

Audioholic Intern
Hello everyone, I’d like to have some opinions/input from other users who may have experience with SVS Subs and can give some recommendations/thoughts. I currently have a PB3000 and would like to upgrade by trading up my sub. The reason behind this is because I eventually want to upgrade to a pre/pro and notice that a majority only have XLR outs, which id love to have. Would you all just stick with the 3000 and use xlr/rca converters? Anyway, my SVS choices are a PB4000, which is probably max footprint for my room, or a SB16Ultra. I do plan on running duals eventually with any sub I keep. Note, my room is 24 x 24 x 12. Movies 70% Music 30%

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hello everyone, I’d like to have some opinions/input from other users who may have experience with SVS Subs and can give some recommendations/thoughts. I currently have a PB3000 and would like to upgrade by trading up my sub. The reason behind this is because I eventually want to upgrade to a pre/pro and notice that a majority only have XLR outs, which id love to have. Would you all just stick with the 3000 and use xlr/rca converters? Anyway, my SVS choices are a PB4000, which is probably max footprint for my room, or a SB16Ultra. I do plan on running duals eventually with any sub I keep. Note, my room is 24 x 24 x 12. Movies 70% Music 30%
If you are going to stick with SVS get the PB16 Ultra. If you can get a few more bucks look into the JTR Captivator RS2. You have a large room, so you need some good powerful subs to fill that space.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PB-3000 is a great sub. I don't think the SB16 or PB-4000 is a big enough upgrade to justify the hassle. And yes, I have used all of those subs. If you can only have one sub, make it a PB16, but I think what would be a more significant upgrade would be to simply add another PB-3000 for duals.

D

DigitalD

Audioholic Intern
If you are going to stick with SVS get the PB16 Ultra. If you can get a few more bucks look into the JTR Captivator RS2. You have a large room, so you need some good powerful subs to fill that space.
Thanks for the input. I’d look for another brand except I do get a buyback option with SVS that is very appealing. Unfortunately, I think the PB16 will have WAF issues ‍♂

D

DigitalD

Audioholic Intern
The PB-3000 is a great sub. I don't think the SB16 or PB-4000 is a big enough upgrade to justify the hassle. And yes, I have used all of those subs. If you can only have one sub, make it a PB16, but I think what would be a more significant upgrade would be to simply add another PB-3000 for duals.
Awesome advice. I think dual 3000s would be a great choice as well. I just keep hearing that xlr/ rca aren’t great and create distortion. Who knows how much this is true or if I will even notice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Awesome advice. I think dual 3000s would be a great choice as well. I just keep hearing that xlr/ rca aren’t great and create distortion. Who knows how much this is true or if I will even notice.
What prepro are you looking at that has only xlr pre-outs?

D

DigitalD

Audioholic Intern
What prepro are you looking at that has only xlr pre-outs?
I’m looking at the Monolith prepro or the NAD. I’m literally waiting to save $ of course and for HDMI 2.1 to roll out before I purchase. Maybe more will pop up by then?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I doubt that there is anything to the idea that going from XLR to RCA would increase distortion. There is a significant voltage difference in the standard from balanced pro connectivity to unbalanced consumer gear, and that could set the stage for problems for people who don't understand how to manage the gain stages in their setup. You can always just use one of these for piece of mind. Or you could just use a sub that has XLR inputs, you don't have to stay with SVS, there are other good brands.

D

DigitalD

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the info! I had no idea about the converters. I only knew about an actual XLR to RCA cable. As far as SVS, it would be difficult to get rid of the 3000 without paying for shipping in my location which is why I’m considering the trade up policy. I think I’d get more returns with the trade up.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the info! I had no idea about the converters. I only knew about an actual XLR to RCA cable. As far as SVS, it would be difficult to get rid of the 3000 without paying for shipping in my location which is why I’m considering the trade up policy. I think I’d get more returns with the trade up.
You could, but I'd go with the PB16 if you're gonna stay with a single sub. Otherwise I think a 2nd PB3000 would be a good (probably best) move. Unless...

@shadyJ are you thinking he could get something from say, Hsu as a second sub to save a few bucks? Like the VTF-3 MK5? I'm assuming that would match pretty well with a PB3000.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You could, but I'd go with the PB16 if you're gonna stay with a single sub. Otherwise I think a 2nd PB3000 would be a good (probably best) move. Unless...

@shadyJ are you thinking he could get something from say, Hsu as a second sub to save a few bucks? Like the VTF-3 MK5? I'm assuming that would match pretty well with a PB3000.
A VTF-3 should be close in performance to a PB-3000, but the OP says he needs something with XLR inputs which the VTF-3 doesn't have. The VTF15h does have them, however, as well as the Monolith THX subs.

D

DigitalD

Audioholic Intern

Yea I rather go dual 3000s as I can’t do dual PB16s. I could do dual SB16s, but it seems like the 3000s should be sufficient.

D

DigitalD

Audioholic Intern
A VTF-3 should be close in performance to a PB-3000, but the OP says he needs something with XLR inputs which the VTF-3 doesn't have. The VTF15h does have them, however, as well as the Monolith THX subs.
I’ve heard great reviews with HSU and Monolith. I’d just feel weird staring at two unsymmetrical subs...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis