SVS 12” vs Hsu 12” / 15” Vs the Dayton ultra max 18”

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Looking for the absolute best for between $600-$800
Seen offerings from SVS that get down to 16hz hsu 16hz and the big Dayton 18” 18hz

All would end up between about $100 of eachother from personal experience which of the 3 is the best go to for the money for watching movies, I don’t listen to much music.

Btw they will be replacing a Polk psw 505

Below are some links of some I’ve been considering, any other suggestions in the price range is welcome!
Any comparison reviews welcome!
Any used listings welcome aswell! Always great saving money!

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7099

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

https://www.svsound.com/collections/2000-series/products/pb-2000

https://www.svsound.com/collections/2000-series/products/pc-2000

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Atm kinda leaning toward the hsu cause it’s 15” and I have kind of a large room....
But if the Dayton 18” is the better sub I’m willing to put in the work to use it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Atm kinda leaning toward the hsu cause it’s 15” and I have kind of a large room....
But if the Dayton 18” is the better sub I’m willing to put in the work to use it.
The VTF15h km2 is a bit over $1K when you factor in shipping. The VTF-3 is like $900.

The inclusion of the Dayton doesn't make this a very simple comparison, because we don't know what amp you will be using, nor do we know what type of performance you are interested in. The Dayton Ultimax 18" can give you more overall performance- but only if you are using one hell of an amplifier. Even with a beast of an amp, the Ultimax doesn't have an advantage from, say 16 Hz to 31 Hz against the ported Hsu 15" subs. However, above and below that range, it will have an advantage, but you need a beefy amp to get more output than the Hsu subs at 40 Hz and above. I think you will want something like a Behringer 3000DSP amp with the Ultimax 18", at the least, but even that won't give it a big mid-bass advantage over the Hsu subs.

M

m3incorp

Audioholic Intern
Your list contains both sealed and ported subs. You may want to decide which route you want to go. You don't say if it will be in a large room or small room and if the space the sub will take up is a concern. Of all the ones you listed, I would go with the HSU VTF-3 MK5......that's probably because I own the VTF-15H MK2 and can say it is dang good subwoofer.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Your list contains both sealed and ported subs. You may want to decide which route you want to go. You don't say if it will be in a large room or small room and if the space the sub will take up is a concern. Of all the ones you listed, I would go with the HSU VTF-3 MK5......that's probably because I own the VTF-15H MK2 and can say it is dang good subwoofer.
I have lots of room for a sub,

M

m3incorp

Audioholic Intern
OP linked to the ULS-15 MK2 which would run around $857 shipped. I agree that the Dayton would have to have a really good amplifier to be included in the comparison.

The VTF15h km2 is a bit over $1K when you factor in shipping. The VTF-3 is like $900.

The inclusion of the Dayton doesn't make this a very simple comparison, because we don't know what amp you will be using, nor do we know what type of performance you are interested in. The Dayton Ultimax 18" can give you more overall performance- but only if you are using one hell of an amplifier. Even with a beast of an amp, the Ultimax doesn't have an advantage from, say 16 Hz to 31 Hz against the ported Hsu 15" subs. However, above and below that range, it will have an advantage, but you need a beefy amp to get more output than the Hsu subs at 40 Hz and above. I think you will want something like a Behringer 3000DSP amp with the Ultimax 18", at the least, but even that won't give it a big mid-bass advantage over the Hsu subs.

M

m3incorp

Audioholic Intern
Great! You said you would use it mostly for movies. For that use, I would recommend a ported subwoofer instead of sealed, especially given your budget and the fact you are planning to only use one subwoofer. I would highly consider the ported HSU that I noted above. The VTF-3 MK5 is a great subwoofer also, but I am in the camp that thinks for spending $50 more, may as well go for the top dog VTF-15H MK2 and not have to question yourself later.

I have lots of room for a sub,

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Great! You said you would use it mostly for movies. For that use, I would recommend a ported subwoofer instead of sealed, especially given your budget and the fact you are planning to only use one subwoofer. I would highly consider the ported HSU that I noted above. The VTF-3 MK5 is a great subwoofer also, but I am in the camp that thinks for spending $50 more, may as well go for the top dog VTF-15H MK2 and not have to question yourself later.
That puts the sb3000 at $999 shipped in the same range to.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
$173 shipping is nasty on that one, it was what I was looking at but dang that’s a lot for shipping lol. The VTF-3 mk5 is $93 shipping
Svs all ship free, then there is this.
At the same price as the MK2
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38203

Has there been a review comparing the 2?

M

m3incorp

Audioholic Intern
The Monolith is highly recommended. That puts it shipped at the same price as the HSU. I will say this, if you don't get on that Monolith quick it will be long gone. Have you read up on pros and cons of a sealed subwoofer vs a ported one? You just missed out on the 1 day sale Monolith had yesterday that would have got you a new one for that price.

$173 shipping is nasty on that one, it was what I was looking at but dang that’s a lot for shipping lol. The VTF-3 mk5 is $93 shipping
Svs all ship free, then there is this.
At the same price as the MK2
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38203

Has there been a review comparing the 2?

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I have a VTF3 MK4 and it's a beast (I also have an SVS PB1000- getting them to play well together was a challenge). Out of your original list I'd choose the MK5. That Monolith though... being THX certified equates to very low THD numbers.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
The Monolith is highly recommended. That puts it shipped at the same price as the HSU. I will say this, if you don't get on that Monolith quick it will be long gone. Have you read up on pros and cons of a sealed subwoofer vs a ported one? You just missed out on the 1 day sale Monolith had yesterday that would have got you a new one for that price.
I can sit back and wait for another sale?
So the monolith is better then the hsu?
If so I’ll keep my eyes open and wait for another sale.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Everyone says I’m missing out with the psw 505,
Really interested in hearing what I’ve been missing out on,
My system is 3 front AAM’s and Andrew Jones rears. And of course the psw 505 as sub. It’s been ok as a sub, but if I’m missing out I’d like to hear what I’ve been missing... and at this price points I want to be good for the next 5+ years.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would go HSU VTF15. The Monolith 15 is a great sub too though. Good luck! :)

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
I would go HSU VTF15. The Monolith 15 is a great sub too though. Good luck! :)
I think your right, I just can’t put monoprice and super HQ together for some reason, that and we don’t know who makes it for them.... any links to the audioholics review? Looking and can’t find it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think your right, I just can’t put monoprice and super HQ together for some reason, that and we don’t know who makes it for them.... any links to the audioholics review? Looking and can’t find it.
Audioholics never did a formal review of the VTF15h mk2. Pretty darn good sub though, I have one and I review subs, so here is a short review for you: It's great!

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Audioholics never did a formal review of the VTF15h mk2. Pretty darn good sub though, I have one and I review subs, so here is a short review for you: It's great!
Does Hsu ever run sales?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis