SVS 1000 Series Subwoofers Get a Major Redesign

W

wgb113

Enthusiast
I’ve been considering a sub to my active speaker setup and these have me intrigued. I run a pair of “prosumer” Dynaudio LYD48 and they have a companion sub, the 18S, that is loaded with custom settings for blending with my speakers. I wonder if the same performance could be achieved with a pair of these given the features found in the app?

Bill

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Anyone have what sounds like electrical/coil whine on the back of their sub? Just got my 1000 pro's and they both do it plugged into separate power outlets. If you turn them off it goes away...

F

felipe

Audioholic
Anyone have what sounds like electrical/coil whine on the back of their sub? Just got my 1000 pro's and they both do it plugged into separate power outlets. If you turn them off it goes away...
That's interesting MDK210. You should contact SVS about that... it could be the amp. I say that because I currently have dual SB1000s, and with those you could here a "white noise" type sound if your within a foot from the driver...otherwise its inaudible. After contacting SVS about it, they said I was hearing the noise floor of the amp.

S

sosojerk

Audiophyte
Yes, to be honest.
I had such a sound in my SB-2000 sub-woofer. It came from the electric noise induced by the SVS Audio Path wireless connection. And I was using different outlets of course.
If you use that, just remove it and plug your subwoofer directly to your amp subwoofer outputs.

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
I contacted SVS and they said it's normal. Weird though since every powered sub I've owned from $500-1500/each haven't done this. It's definitely an amp thing with the sub and since I listen to low volumes maybe it's easier to hear on a consistent basis. Still though...

T

Twiddle23

Enthusiast
Yes I am hearing that too!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Seems like it’s been common for awhile.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have amps on the backs on most of my subs (rack amps). The ones I have with plate amps don't have that characteristic that I've ever noticed.....then I'm not spending much time behind the sub listening to the plate amp either.....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just seems like bad design/poor quality as I can literally hear it 10ft away in my main listening position. Can't even sit on the couch in silence cause of it ha.
I think it’s a little ridiculous that it’s been considered “normal”, for some time now. Not sure why they can’t work it out but you’d think it wouldn’t be that difficult.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This might make me re-think recommending SVS subs....but don't remember seeing this complaint before.....

W

wgb113

Enthusiast
This has me worried as well. Hearing it within a foot - maybe acceptable. Hearing it 10' across the room is unacceptable...

I've had their PC+ 20-39 since new, plugged in the whole time and it's amp is as quiet as a mouse with my ear up against it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just seems like bad design/poor quality as I can literally hear it 10ft away in my main listening position. Can't even sit on the couch in silence cause of it ha.
If you are hearing noise from 10 feet away, that is a problem. Something isn't right.

F

felipe

Audioholic
If you are hearing noise from 10 feet away, that is a problem. Something isn't right.
10 feet away? shadyJ is right...something's wrong. There's no way that hearing noise from 10ft away is "normal". I was considering upgrading my sb1000s to the 1000 pros...now I'm not so sure. Maybe Smith and Ed from SVS should be made aware of this???

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
10 feet away? shadyJ is right...something's wrong. There's no way that hearing noise from 10ft away is "normal". I was considering upgrading my sb1000s to the 1000 pros...now I'm not so sure. Maybe Smith and Ed from SVS should be made aware of this???
That is assuming it is some design or manufacturing flaw. It could be a set up issue as well, and not a fault with the subs themselves.

F

felipe

Audioholic
That is assuming it is some design or manufacturing flaw. It could be a set up issue as well, and not a fault with the subs themselves.
I'm basing my response on that MDK210 contacted SVS about the issue and they said that its normal...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm basing my response on that MDK210 contacted SVS about the issue and they said that its normal...
I’ve seen Ed post a number of times that the sound is normal. I don’t know about 10’ away, but I’d the noise floor is low enough, maybe???

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve seen Ed post a number of times that the sound is normal. I don’t know about 10’ away, but I’d the noise floor is low enough, maybe???
Does he specify anything about spl? That would be as annoying as my old amp that has started up again with some transformer noise....but really only bothers me when nothing is playing otoh. That amp is over 30 years old, tho.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This might make me re-think recommending SVS subs....but don't remember seeing this complaint before.....
I say this very lightly, as I’ve historically felt SVS was great value. AND I am an owner. But for a while now, I have felt that for the money, there are better options. I definitely have recommended newer SVS models, but mostly if an OP asks about them specifically. And even then, still consider other options.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis