SVS 1000 Series Subwoofers Get a Major Redesign

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SVS launched a new entry-level subwoofer line that supersedes their venerable 1000 series subwoofers. It probably shouldn’t come as a surprise that SVS has announced a redesign and refresh of their entry-level subs as the 1000 series has been around for roughly nine years now, and that is a long run in an industry that is always changing due to evolving technologies. I would say it is a testament to the strength of the 1000 series design that it has remained unchanged for so long, however, all of SVS’s other subwoofer lines have undergone major improvements from advancing technology, and it was only a matter of time that technology would find its way down to SVS’s most accessible subwoofer line. This brings us to the SVS 1000 Pro series. Read our preview article to get the full scoop!

READ: SVS Launches 1000 Pro Series Subwoofers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I got all excited when I saw your post, thinking you already had a review up!

I did take a peek at them on the site. I said in another thread that the PB1KP puts SVS more in line with HSU's VTF-2 MK5 for performance and value. Maybe even a little better when you factor in shipping. I like the way they look better than the old PB1K too. Makes me wish I could use a couple of 12s!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I got all excited when I saw your post, thinking you already had a review up!

I did take a peek at them on the site. I said in another thread that the PB1KP puts SVS more in line with HSU's VTF-2 MK5 for performance and value. Maybe even a little better when you factor in shipping. I like the way they look better than the old PB1K too. Makes me wish I could use a couple of 12s!
The review won't be up for a while. I need the weather to warm up before I can take them outside for testing. Still a foot of snow on the ground at the moment, but I am hoping I can get them out there sometime in mid to late March. As for performance comparisons against the Hsu, we will see. Hsu and SVS have never really had the same exact performance targets, so I wouldn't assume anything until I see the test data.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The weather is great out here at the proposed site oh AH-West, @shadyJ . Just pack those Subs up and fly on out here! Take a break from the snowy land you call home. :p

Oh, do you ever take in room measurements when you are doing your work? Just curious, really. But it would be an interesting comparison point to see how cabin gain effects that SB1000. I know it would only be a snapshot in one room and could not predict performance in other rooms, but it would be an interesting trivia point. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The weather is great out here at the proposed site oh AH-West, @shadyJ . Just pack those Subs up and fly on out here! Take a break from the snowy land you call home. :p

Oh, do you ever take in room measurements when you are doing your work? Just curious, really. But it would be an interesting comparison point to see how cabin gain effects that SB1000. I know it would only be a snapshot in one room and could not predict performance in other rooms, but it would be an interesting trivia point. :D
Yeah I forget about the folk back east sludging through winter weather. I didn't even wear a jacket today!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The review won't be up for a while. I need the weather to warm up before I can take them outside for testing. Still a foot of snow on the ground at the moment, but I am hoping I can get them out there sometime in mid to late March. As for performance comparisons against the Hsu, we will see. Hsu and SVS have never really had the same exact performance targets, so I wouldn't assume anything until I see the test data.
You make a good point. They do have slightly different goals, and you can see it in these fr charts I posted in another thread. The HSU digs a little deeper, but not as linear as the PB1KP.

VTF-2MK51PrtOpenEQ1FR.jpg

frequency-response-chart_pb-1000.png

The top one is the VTF-2 in lowest extension mode with one port plugged. I only grabbed 1 chart just for quick comparison's sake. SVS only has the one above on their site right now anyway. Looks like the PB1KP does have a sealed mode (yellow trace) too as indicated in the sweeps. I didn't see anything about a 1 port mode tho.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have taken in-room measurements. I never posted them because they aren't useful. The subwoofer position changes them, the microphone position changes them, so they don't mean a whole lot. I don't get a lot of cabin gain in my room. The SB-1000 Pro doesn't look like it would yield a whole lot of cabin gain, since there is a high-pass filter. It looks to me it is being filtered at a 24dB/octave starting at 25Hz. That is the kind of response resembles a ported subwoofer response.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You make a good point. They do have slightly different goals, and you can see it in these fr charts I posted in another thread. The HSU digs a little deeper, but not as linear as the PB1KP.

View attachment 45141

View attachment 45142

The top one is the VTF-2 in lowest extension mode with one port plugged. I only grabbed 1 chart just for quick comparison's sake. SVS only has the one above on their site right now anyway. Looks like the PB1KP does have a sealed mode (yellow trace) too as indicated in the sweeps. I didn't see anything about a 1 port mode tho.
None of the SVS subs support a single-port open mode. Only the PB-4000 and PB16-Ultra have variable port tuning. The others only have a ported mode and sealed operating mode. As for the charts and linearity, that can change depending on the way the subwoofer is measured. You can go to the VTF-2 mk5 review and see what I measured. That is pretty darn flat, but it can change a bit depending on the Q setting.

T

Twiddle23

Enthusiast
I was one of the giveaway winners, has anyone ever dealt with svs with a giveaway? I sent them an email , but haven't heard back yet.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Wonder why the PB1000Pro is so light compared to its competition? I doubt it's using Neo magnets.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wonder why the PB1000Pro is so light compared to its competition? I doubt it's using Neo magnets.
It's not that it is especially light, but rather its smaller size which means that much less mass. And combined with the fact that the Monolith subs are massively overbuilt. Don't let weight fool you, it's not all that indicative of how a subwoofer actually performs. An example of that is the PB-3000 versus the Monolith 12" THX: the PB-3000 is easy to lift up and carry around, and I can carry it up and down a flight of stairs with no problem. However, doing that would be unthinkable with the Monolith 12" THX which is brutally heavy and large. Yet the PB-3000 unquestionably outperforms the Monolith 12" THX in most performance metrics (as well it should, it is far more expensive). You don't need a subwoofer to be heavy to be a good performer.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
It's not that it is especially light, but rather its smaller size which means that much less mass. And combined with the fact that the Monolith subs are massively overbuilt. Don't let weight fool you, it's not all that indicative of how a subwoofer actually performs. An example of that is the PB-3000 versus the Monolith 12" THX: the PB-3000 is easy to lift up and carry around, and I can carry it up and down a flight of stairs with no problem. However, doing that would be unthinkable with the Monolith 12" THX which is brutally heavy and large. Yet the PB-3000 unquestionably outperforms the Monolith 12" THX in most performance metrics (as well it should, it is far more expensive). You don't need a subwoofer to be heavy to be a good performer.
More so, why is the PB1000pro lighter than the PB1000.

I'm not talking about the PB3000 or the mono 12.

The PBpro and the mono 10 are pretty much the same size in dimensions.

I'm sure SVS did their homework, I'm not trying to discredit their engineering, just curious on how they were able to reduce weight.... I know other companies will do matrix bracing...but I would imagine the research and development is pretty expensive for that type of bracing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know the original PB-1000 construction so I couldn't say why it's heavier.
Either way I know you consider the lighter weight a plus! I do too. All the more impressive considering the significant bump in performance.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
This is fantastic news for all of us. Here's hoping it pushes the whole industry forward!

I still likely would have needed a miniDSP in my setup due to mismatched subs, but for most people this will help them get far better results than just running room correction on its own. I commend SVS for putting some pretty advanced tech in their entry-level products where it might make the biggest impact for consumers.

T

Twiddle23

Enthusiast
Just got the sb1000 pro from the giveaway today .holy crap this little guy bumps as much as my pb2000 pro! And it's not 50-100 pounds!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis