Surrounds or Bookshelf for rears on a 5.1?

A

AngelusNexx

Junior Audioholic
I have seen it set up both ways. Whats best. On a 5.1 do I want bookshelf type rears or surround type rear speakers? Thanks guys.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
There are a number of people on this list who would ask if you intend to listen to 5.1 music or movies, then recommend an omnipolar, or bipolar/dipolar speaker. The bipolar/dipolar speakers are said to produce a more diffused sound more suitable for movies, and these are almost never referred to as bookshelf speakers. Likewise, in many instances a "surround" speaker is more often called that because it is designed to be wall mounted than because it is bi/di. I bought my gear because I listen to music (SACD,DVD-A, Redbook)about 40/60, and I've *never* had a complaint about using an omnipolar speaker in my setup.

Bryan...what sounds best to you is the way to go...

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
zachwhite0 said:
I have seen it set up both ways. Whats best. On a 5.1 do I want bookshelf type rears or surround type rear speakers? Thanks guys.
A bookshelf is a surround type speaker.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
zachwhite0 said:
Ya maybe I should clarify a little more. Sorry.

This

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=6&speaker=354

or This

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=4&speaker=350

For my rears.

I plan on using it for mainly Movies and Games in the 5.1 but I also have quite a few 5.1 concerts and such I will be listening to.

The fronts are RTi8 with a CSi5 center and a Velodyne DPS-12

Go with the Di/Bi-poles:

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=6&speaker=354

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Fly's advice is good. For clarity’s sake, the first link you posted is a bipolar/dipole design (as referenced by Fly) while the second speaker is omnipolar (or directional). Fly indicates that he has directional speakers in his setup and is satisfied.

I've used both and in my opinion, I like the bipoles better. I don't seem to lose any ability to firmly anchor sound while I gain the ability to make the sound blend together better. Others disagree. I've seen many a 7.1 setup with bi-poles for the side surrounds and directionals for the rear surrounds. As to all things audio, there is more than a little subjectivity about these decisions.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I've got both types of Polks (one model below), and have demo'd them in 2 channel. They both sound excellent. Amazing bass for such a small woofer. The Bi-Dipolar speakers sound best directly to the right or left of your seating position. They do not sound as good behind you. The standard bookshelves sound fine in either position, but lack the dual tweeters which bring out so much more detail for surround sound. IMO, the dual tweeters make the system what it is. This link may help you.

www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=placement

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
is you donr feel like spending $500 for a pair of surrounds or rears and want a decent speaker. I got these...

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=4&speaker=182

i got them at Frys Electronics for $50 a pair... yes a pair. so I bought 4 and use them as my surrounds and rear rurrounds in a 7.1 systems and i have no real complaints.

I will eventually move to di-pole/bi-pole but for now $100 got me 4 good speakers.

you can also get these on ebay for around $75 for a pair.

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I've got both types of Polks (one model below), and have demo'd them in 2 channel. They both sound excellent. Amazing bass for such a small woofer. The Bi-Dipolar speakers sound best directly to the right or left of your seating position. They do not sound as good behind you. The standard bookshelves sound fine in either position, but lack the dual tweeters which bring out so much more detail for surround sound. IMO, the dual tweeters make the system what it is. This link may help you.

www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad/advice.php?article=placement
So, the FXi3 is a better surround left/right than a surround back left/right speaker?. My living room is not the greatest for home theater speaker placement. I can only have surround back left/right.

saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
then you might look at monopoles (directional speakers), since bi/dipoles on the back might not be that successful (depends on room layout also).

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'd opt for the FXi's myself, assuming HT performance is the prime critera. I use speakers with similar construction and have found them superior to monopoles (for HT). JMOHO, though- YMMV.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Dipoles v. direct is just a matter of personal preference. Di-poles used to be part of the THX standard back in the Pro-Logic days when the processor was creating the surround effect and di-poles helped with the illusion. Movies are now recorded in 5.1 with sound engineers mixing for sound to come from a particular speaker hence the removal of di-poles from the THX standard. Some love D-poles others love direct.

J

johnu

Enthusiast
shokhead said:
A bookshelf is a surround type speaker.
A tower is a surround type speaker. Even Bose cubes are surround type speakers.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
johnu said:
A tower is a surround type speaker. Even Bose cubes are surround type speakers.
Thats what my answers means,any speaker can be used as a surround. Well almost any. I think the best is to have four alike which is what i'll do for my next speaker upgrade.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis