Surround sound recommendations to work with Magnepan 3.7i and CC5

R

RussellS

Enthusiast
I am looking to build my first home theater using Magnepan front and center speakers with 2 JL Audio subs.

Any suggestions on surround speakers that would work well in that environment?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
how big is your room? What's your budget? Why not MC1?

R

RussellS

Enthusiast
It is an odd-shaped room with a cathedral ceiling - acoustics are poor at best. Left wall is also all glass. Nothing about the room lends itself to a normal theater room. I was thinking perhaps a stand-mounted pair of surrounds on either side of the couch in front of the screen. Budget - still deciding, but considering around $1,000 for pair of surrounds. Was not sure how far that would get me. Can exceed that number within reason. I am still exploring options for preamp, amps and surround speakers. Just wanted to reach out to the forum and see what the suggestions might be.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. The followup questions is: Any recommendations on speaker stands?
these aren't extremely heavy, only 22lbs. Selecting stands should be more of aesthetics considerations.
The only audio related suggestion I would like to provide is you should select speaker stands to have the tweeter (in this case it's hidden behind dust cap in the middle) is about 1ft ABOVE your ears normal height, a bit higher is ok too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
these aren't extremely heavy, only 22lbs. Selecting stands should be more of aesthetics considerations.
The only audio related suggestion I would like to provide is you should select speaker stands to have the tweeter (in this case it's hidden behind dust cap in the middle) is about 1ft ABOVE your ears normal height, a bit higher is ok too.
I just want to add that you SHOULD double check weight allowances when looking at speaker stands. And if you need to have a tall stand with a heavy speaker, even if it’s rated for the weight, be prepared to make certain it won’t topple if bumped. ;)
(I have 32# speakers on 36” stands. VSI claims they hold 100#. I don’t disagree. But if bumped, baby go boom! I have a different speaker stand from VideoSecu that I had to modify the base due to its very small footprint.)

R

RussellS

Enthusiast
Thanks. Did not know they should be 1 foot above ear level. I have seen diagrams for speaker placement showing L/R/surrounds by degrees from an overhead perspective, but still learning about home theater. Glad I found out before searching. Time to get out the tape measure. This will also be my first 4K display - I understand seating can be closer than older technology. If seating closer to screen, then that should free up some space behind seating for surround speakers.front-speaker-placement-angle.png.pagespeed.ce.WsLFxf-P1c.png51-surround-speaker-location.png.pagespeed.ce.xD0yjjAsan.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis