Surround settings keep changing?

P

pingwin77

Audiophyte
I have a Denon surround system with Boston Acoustic speakers. I have my cable box hook up with HDMI cables and passing the video though to my Plasma with another HDMI cable.

When I set up the surround sound setting (Multi channel, direct...) They keep changing when commercials come on or even some times in the middle of a show. What would be causing this and how can I get it to stop? I'm getting tired of having to manually set this when my sports come back on.

Thanks in advance for any tips/help anyone can provide. I have never had a surround system before and hope i did not set something up wrong.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum! If it's like what I use to experience, the changes are caused by the source material. For example, the commercials might be stereo while the main program is in 5.1. I don't think that you set anything up wrong.

Just curious - which Denon did you get?

P

pingwin77

Audiophyte
I have the Denon AVR-1312. I had a buddy mention that the source could maybe change the setting. I wish there was a way to override it. Sometimes it doesn't change back.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have the Denon AVR-1312. I had a buddy mention that the source could maybe change the setting. I wish there was a way to override it. Sometimes it doesn't change back.
Yeah, I think this is the situation. My pioneer elite, in direct mode, will show dts on some shows, then swaps to stereo on commercials or on previews. But, it always changes back when the show comes back on.

It is the source material making the change, as different items from the cable box are recorded and distributed in different formats. Really not much you can do about that, no way to override how the material is distributed to your cable box. But, it should be changing back automatically, so if not then you may have a problem. Maybe try running in a mode other that direct?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis