Surround/rear sound speakers suggestions - budget

R

RickyMathews

Audiophyte
I just bought Pioneer VSX932 AVR, I got 2 front speakers already:
8ohm
60watts

Would like to add 2 rear speakers, but cannot splash too much on that.
Any budget ones for me?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What are the fronts? Are you going with phantom Center?

R

RickyMathews

Audiophyte
At the moment I got 2 front only, 8ohm, 60watts.
They are old speakers from my Denon mini hifi systems, 20+ years old.

N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
Do you have stereo receiver or a home theater receiver.? If it's stereo then you can get speakers for b or zone 2. If you have a HT receiver then buy a center speaker next then sub, rears etc enjoy

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have stereo receiver or a home theater receiver.? If it's stereo then you can get speakers for b or zone 2. If you have a HT receiver then buy a center speaker next then sub, rears etc enjoy
You can't do surround sound with a 2ch receiver.

ps The VSX932 is a 7.2 avr

N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
great then, I recommend a center a center next

N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
I thought this was all about the budget. It would be nice to start with a clean plate you are right. I just my system and have a complete home theater Focal system I am going to sell at some point

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Another thing to consider is hitting a pawn shop. Ours has all kinds of audio gear in it. Just saw a pair of nice infinity bookshelf speakers for 45 bucks. Ya just never know what you’ll find.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Another thing to consider is hitting a pawn shop. Ours has all kinds of audio gear in it. Just saw a pair of nice infinity bookshelf speakers for 45 bucks. Ya just never know what you’ll find.
I found a full 5-speaker set of Vienna Acoustics speakers in my local pawn shop for $1200 "asking price". It included a pair of floor standing mains, a generous center and two stand mount. The big ones were "Beethoven", don't recall the others but seemed they were willing to come down a LOT "if you're serious." I wasn't. ;)

They had a lot of other common speakers too, mainly Klipsch, Polk, Bic and Infinity. On the local Craigslist I find a lot of folks dragging out the old AR, Advent and JBL speakers hoping to get 5 to 10 times what they actually worth.

R

RickyMathews

Audiophyte
Sorry for late reply.
I have Yamaha NS-555, NS-C444 and sub Yamaha YST-SW216.
I wonder does it matter if I use different brand for rear speakers?
Such as Wharfedale Xarus 1000?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry for late reply.
Use whatever you want

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry for late reply.
For surround speakers, the choice is not as critical as for the front speakers. IMO, the Wharfedale's would be fine if they are compatible with your receiver. It would be ideal if they had sensitivities close to that of the Yamaha's.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I found a full 5-speaker set of Vienna Acoustics speakers in my local pawn shop for $1200 "asking price". It included a pair of floor standing mains, a generous center and two stand mount. The big ones were "Beethoven", don't recall the others but seemed they were willing to come down a LOT "if you're serious." I wasn't. ;)

They had a lot of other common speakers too, mainly Klipsch, Polk, Bic and Infinity. On the local Craigslist I find a lot of folks dragging out the old AR, Advent and JBL speakers hoping to get 5 to 10 times what they actually worth.
Wow, don’t know how I missed this. But yeah, that’s exactly the kind of thing I see here in our shop. If you’re serious and use your patience you can score some really good stuff. My local Craigslist isn’t normally fruitful however.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis