Super confused and frustrated with the Marantz SR8015

340Cuda

340Cuda

Enthusiast
Hoping someone can help me figure out what I need to do to make this work right!

Preamble on my setup: I run a 7.1.4 with a SB16 sub. I have a Q90R Samsung tv that I use for all my streaming (Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc), connected through ARC to the AVR, and an external Directv box connected to the AVR through an HDMI input.

My previous receiver was an Onkyo that died, and with no Onkyo's available, replaced it with the Marantz SR8015.

The Onkyo was much louder and had better punch, but that's another issue. The Onkyo had basically the same output volume, regardless of streaming app or Directv. I used the reference scale on the Onkyo, and 82 was the sweet spot and the THX level. I had to bump it a few up for some of the streaming services, maybe 84-85.

The Marantz is another story. The HDMI input of the Directv is MUCH louder, but still no where near as loud as the Onkyo, and using the volume scale, maxes out at 85 ( I know the volume numbers are meaningless!). On streaming apps, I'd say at best, 70% as loud as the HDMI input, but does allow the volume to go to 91 before stopping, but that 91 is still nowhere near as loud as the 85 on the HDMI input. I know I can change the input signal strength, but here is my issue. If I turn on ARC in the menu, I can switch video from all sources, but the audio stays on the HDMI input. I have to turn on HDMI control, which greys out the ARC function, but allows me to switch the various streaming services with audio that follows. Obviously ARC is working, so maybe this is the way it's supposed to work? I can't access the Marantz onscreen menu except on the HDMI input screen. If I adjust the input sensitivity there, to make the apps louder, then when I switch back it's way too loud. Shouldn't I be able to access the menu for each ARC streaming input? Same goes for sound mode. I cannot access the menu to change play back format, except in the HDMI screen, which is the Directv input. I thought I could select a sound mode for each input of ARC? This thing is super frustrating me. My streaming apps with better DTS and Dolby I can barely get loud enough to hear everything, and my Directv with subpar audio format, is now my best sounding because I can almost get it to reference level on movies.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you run Audyssey?

Sounds like you were/are using the absolute scale, not the reference scale fwiw, too. Inputs can be different levels (and your 8015 has a way to adjust input levels to even different ones out some, assume that's what you mean by adjust signal strength). I wouldn't put too much importance in comparing the volume scale numbers between the units, altho should be relatively close if you calibrated them similarly (via Audyssey or manually).

ARC can be a pain with some inputs automatically changing for you, but the audio thing sounds a bit odd, altho you can probably find a way to do that deliberately. Maybe running a soft or full reset could be in order. I stopped using ARC due funky switching issues when I wanted to watch cable input vs ARC, but I no longer source audio from my tv anymore either so no loss.

ARC only has one input as far as your avr is concerned, tho so am confused by what you mean for "each input of ARC". Do you have more than one ARC connection somehow?

340Cuda

340Cuda

Enthusiast
I did run Audyssey with the app.

I just put those volume numbers as a reference. I can max out the volume on the Marantz and it's still not quite as loud as the reference level of 82 on the Onkyo. I could go way louder on the Onkyo, to the point that it was way too loud. On the Marantz, without adjusting the input sensitivity, I'm not loud enough. Is there a disadvantage to increasing the sensitivity?

So basically I need a separate streaming box to plug into the AVR HDMI's to be able to adjust input sensitivity and set sound modes for each streaming source?!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't explain that kind of difference if calibrated, at least not without other measurements to see what's happening. The Onkyo perhaps just had a lower sensitivity level involved overall. I've got older Onkyo and Denon stuff, they don't have those kind of differences. What Onkyo did you have? It was also calibrated using it's onboard Audyssey? So a bluray player and your tv sources are very different in volume as well?

You can change the gain up a bit to make the volume number appear larger/sooner, but it really won't change overall capabilities.

Any one input to the avr is just that, an input....it doesn't know what separate streaming source you use. No different than your tv, no matter how many apps it has, is just one input as far as the avr goes.

ps The only change was avr, same speakers involved?

340Cuda

340Cuda

Enthusiast
Yes, same, sort of...! I had an Onkyo 3100. Replaced it with a Marantz 6014. It sounded horrible. Everyone told me it was because it was a cleaner sound and was showing the limitations of my speakers. I replaced my speakers with Prime Pinnacles, Ultra center, and surrounds...and it still didn’t sound as good as my old speakers and Onkyo. Also, exactly the same issue with overall volume being too low, with the original and new speakers, compared to the Onkyo.
I was in the return window and exchanged it for the 8015 hoping it would make some sort of difference. Nope. Same as the 6014. I have to me missing something. Every review, including the one on here that helped me make the decision to buy it, says it’s phenomenal. I’m so disappointed in the sound quality (Onkyo sounded better) and more importantly, the overall volume level that I’m at my wits end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you're expecting too much in a way but hard to know how accurate your sonic memory is (they tend not be very useful beyond a handful of seconds), and even then to be meaningful you'd have to level match for any meaningful comparison, it can be hard to setup well. I can't tell what your memories of your 3100 mean (or is it still alive and functioning for a new comparison?).

Most of the sound difference will be from different speakers and rooms rather than the receiver. I've got a variety of avrs from the last 10 years, they're all far more similar than different. Not a big difference from two ch separates in the basic sound qualities of the electronics that I've got as well. You may indeed prefer a different sound, or even a less accurate sound, hard to know if it the electronics, your old speakers, old room, etc....

ps Was that the TX-RZ3100 avr from Onkyo or ?

340Cuda

340Cuda

Enthusiast
Yes on the Onkyo model.
This all happened within the last two months. Onkyo hdmi failed. Replaced with a SR6014 two days later, no other changes, same room, setup, configuration, etc. No where near as loud as the Onkyo and didn’t sound anywhere near as good. Played with Audyssey through the app. Got better on sound quality, but still too low on output. I was literally turned up as far as it will go to barely match the Onkyo at Thx 82. On streaming stuff, wide open and output easily 3-6 db down from Onkyo at 82. So nothing more than a receiver swap at this point. I switch all speakers to a ones that are 2-3 DB more efficient than what I had. Very little difference. Then swapped to the 8015 a month later. Figured a little more power should make a difference. It didn’t. I have to max the volume on streaming (arc) to be about 80% of the HDMI input. I guess I’ll add a Roku Ultra so I have streaming as an HDMI input. If it can at least match the current hdmi inputs’ sound output, that will be a major win. Cannot even watch streaming movies now, output simply too low to enjoy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Current? SVS Pinnacle towers, Ultra Center, and prime surrounds and ceiling.
So not same speakers with what other avrs? How about different rooms/seating setups? They all make a bigger difference than the electronics.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your descriptions are kinda confusing. Are you saying that you can completely max out the volume on your Marantz SR6014 and it's not loud enough? You ran Audyssey with the editor app? Did you upload the file to your receiver after you ran the app and did all the measurements? I've seen a couple of folks not realize you have to upload the file after running the app.

I've owned Ultra towers and Ultra bookshelves and didn't have any problems hitting high spl levels with either one using my Marantz SR6011, and I sit pretty far from my speakers.

ARC is a major pain in the ass from everything I've read about it. I don't even mess with it. I let my receiver do all of the switching.

340Cuda

340Cuda

Enthusiast
So not same speakers with what other avrs? How about different rooms/seating setups? They all make a bigger difference than the electronics.....
Initially nothing but a receiver change. Everything else was exactly the same as with the Onkyo. The reviews and test on the 8015 had me convinced that it must be something in my current setup from making this thing out perform (I’d settle for equal!) the out going Onkyo. That started the path on née speakers, and the swap to the 8015 from the 6014. And now it appears I need a Roku ultra or 4K Apple TV... Did I mention my Onkyo setup sounded fantastic..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you ran AccuEQ with the Onkyo or set it up how? It doesn't have Audyssey so not a direct comparison in any case. I like my Onkyo as well as my Denon units, but my Onkyo has Audyssey as it's older. Still suspect it's your setup in some way in any case.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So you ran AccuEQ with the Onkyo or set it up how? It doesn't have Audyssey so not a direct comparison in any case. I like my Onkyo as well as my Denon units, but my Onkyo has Audyssey as it's older. Still suspect it's your setup in some way in any case.....
Agreed. From what I can suss out its not a receiver issue. Receivers at the 8015 level are all great receivers and should sound the same, with differences being in room correction or dsp. The volume thing makes zero sense to me.

340Cuda

340Cuda

Enthusiast
Your descriptions are kinda confusing. Are you saying that you can completely max out the volume on your Marantz SR6014 and it's not loud enough? You ran Audyssey with the editor app? Did you upload the file to your receiver after you ran the app and did all the measurements? I've seen a couple of folks not realize you have to upload the file after running the app.

I've owned Ultra towers and Ultra bookshelves and didn't have any problems hitting high spl levels with either one using my Marantz SR6011, and I sit pretty far from my speakers.

ARC is a major pain in the ass from everything I've read about it. I don't even mess with it. I let my receiver do all of the switching.
Yes. I completely max the volume on the HDMI input to get a decent reference level play back. Using ARC, with the built in streaming apps on the TV, completely maxed and nowhere close to reference. This was the same for the 6014 and current 8015.
I did use the editor app, but did not modify the file, sent it to the receiver exactly as the app modified it. I named and verified it went to preset 1.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes. I completely max the volume on the HDMI input to get a decent reference level play back. Using ARC, with the built in streaming apps on the TV, completely maxed and nowhere close to reference. This was the same for the 6014 and current 8015.
I did use the editor app, but did not modify the file, sent it to the receiver exactly as the app modified it. I named and verified it went to preset 1.
Sounds like ARC is the issue. How about a direct source like a bluray player? What are the current settings for everything?

340Cuda

340Cuda

Enthusiast
Yes AccuEQ, which is actually very good despite the hatred for it. So straight receiver swap and Audyssey setup.
not sure how accurate the response data from the editor app is. Maybe it’s time to mic it with REW and see if something weird is going on?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Max the volume at the HDMI input? You mean your tv volume? Is that an arc thing? I might not be much help if it's an arc issue. Do you have something you can hook up direct to test with, like a Blu Ray player or cd player?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes AccuEQ, which is actually very good despite the hatred for it. So straight receiver swap and Audyssey setup.
not sure how accurate the response data from the editor app is. Maybe it’s time to mic it with REW and see if something weird is going on?
Or just set up each unit outside of the req/setup features and see what happens. You're not reading too much into the "goal" graphic readout from your avr for proposed fix from eq? Measurements could well help overall.

340Cuda

340Cuda

Enthusiast
Sounds like ARC is the issue. How about a direct source like a bluray player? What are the current settings for everything?
The only direct source connected now is the Directv. It’s much better than ARC for output.
I have everything off except Dynamic EQ on, 0Db offset. All speakers set to small, towers crossed at 60, center at 80, surrounds/ceiling 100. LFE 120.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis