super bowl predictions 2019

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I'm pulling for the Rams but I don't see the Pats losing 2 years in a row. So (sigh) New England.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm pulling for the Rams but I don't see the Pats losing 2 years in a row. So (sigh) New England.
Same here, pulling for the Rams but I think Pats win.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
As a Seahawks fan, hard to root for Rams but will be since the hate for the Patriots is stronger. :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
As a Seahawks fan, hard to root for Rams but will be since the hate for the Patriots is stronger. :)
Yeah Im a Steelers fan and I really HATE the Patriots. But damn they sure do get to the Super Bowl every year.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So no odds on the nfl reviewing the Saints complaint? :) truck the NFL is my usual response in any case. Tom Brady went to high school in my area but Goff went to UC Berkeley like I did...but still I hate the fucking Rams from way back as a 49ers fan :) Illogical but then so is sports team "loyalty" :)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
The only sure-fire prediction I'll make is the game will be boring as any pro-sports event, with the usual Trump-bashing show at halftime. :p

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I, being a Cowboys fan, had to swallow my pride last year and actually root for the Eagles. Rams it is this year!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I was pulling for KC to win it all. Patrick Mahomes is the real thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The only sure-fire prediction I'll make is the game will be boring as any pro-sports event, with the usual Trump-bashing show at halftime. :p
Not nearly enough drumpf bashing just at halftime...need it before during and after but seems ol' Kraft alleviated much of that for this super bore.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Well, that was a snooze fest. Good defense on both sides, but a sleeper all the same...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
As so often happens, the best games of the playoffs were played two weeks ago.

In tonight's game it looked like the refs avoided making any pass interference or holding calls.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Superbowl LIII? Didn't the NFL decide a few years ago to drop the Roman numerals? What happened? It should be Superbowl 53 – or better yet, Superbowl 2019.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
As so often happens, the best games of the playoffs were played two weeks ago.

In tonight's game it looked like the refs avoided making any pass interference or holding calls.
Agreed, especially with regard to the playoffs!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

It was a nice defensive slog. Too bad the Rams left their offense at home. I mean NE played hard-nose defense too, but LA had some really poor missed opportunities. Chalk that up to inexperience.

But... look back at last year, and the Eagles played to win. That's a HUGE difference from "playing it safe." When they ran a draw on 3rd and 22 halfway through the 4th quarter, I rolled my eyes and said "they deserve to lose." Philly would have put it in the air and hoped for the best.

More and more I wish that pass interference call had been made in the Saints game... :mad:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Superbowl LIII? Didn't the NFL decide a few years ago to drop the Roman numerals? What happened? It should be Superbowl 53 – or better yet, Superbowl 2019.
Drop Roman numerals? In favor of what, binary? I bet people would complain about that, too- "I don't know what that is...." for the M x Mth or 11110100001001000000th time.
:)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
More and more I wish that pass interference call had been made in the Saints game... :mad:
I seem to be one of the few who doesn't have an issue with that one play and lack of a call. I've seen enough replays of it to see it clearly was pass interference. But the lack of a helmet to helmet contact call was correct. The pass defender clearly hit the receiver first with his shoulders, and after that their helmets hit as a rebound from the initial hit.

But that particular call got all the attention. In that game, as well as the Kansas City-New England game later that day, the officials were not calling penalties that would have been called during regular season games. There were a number of pass defender holds or interference infractions that I could easily see on TV. Most of them never got flagged. I believe the NFL had clearly told the officials to ignore those type of infractions. Yet all the fuss & bother has been over that one play and lack of penalty call.

I think the NFL does an injustice to its game officials. I've never played organized football and I don't know or understand all the rules. Apparently, I'm not the only one. However, in the past I've been a certified basketball official for intramural basketball while I was in college. The U of North Carolina had a large and talented intramural basketball program, they trained students to officiate, and paid them for each game. It provided pocket money for me. At a later time in my life I became a swimming stroke & turn judge and head referee. It was for a large summer swim league for kids with over 90 teams. Each team provided officials for the meets. Again, the league trained its officials. Both sports have clearly written rules and make it easy for officials to make correct and consistent calls. Experience, of course helps quite a bit, as there can be situations not covered by the rules. But the rules provided guidance for that too. Note that I never competed at an organized level in either basketball or swimming. But I was a capable official in both – many others were the same as I was.

In comparison, I find the pro football rules particularly complex. They require officials to make difficult judgement calls while running at full speed, and watching things occur quickly at real time, not slow motion. For a pass completion near the sidelines, an official must watch the hands & ball while also watching the feet & sideline. A pass is completed if both feet are make contact with the ground in bounds while the ball is caught. Apparently, if the feet contact the playing field while the catch is made successfully, the ball can be out of bounds at the same time. The rules for crossing another line, the goal line, are quite different than the sidelines – the only thing that matters is whether the ball crosses the goal line – the feet don't matter. I see no reason why they should be so different. It would be much easier for officials if they were the same.

The rules about what makes for a complete pass and incomplete pass are baffling. We hear complaints about that far too often. The NFL must do a better job at clarifying that rule.

And finally, there are those judgement calls about infractions such as pass interference. And there are clearly times, such as the playoffs, when officials avoid calling penalties that would have been called in other games. Why allow different rules? It makes no sense.

I found basketball and swimming rules were very simple compared to pro football. Why the NFL avoids simplifying its rules leaves me scratching my head. It makes no sense to leave themselves wide open to such widespread criticism as happened after the New Orleans-Los Angeles game.

[\RANT OVER] If anyone has experience playing or officiating organized football at any level, I'd like to hear what you think.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I enjoyed all of the playoffs except the super bowl. It was super boring. I wish the Chiefs had made it in. :)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

I seem to be one of the few who doesn't have an issue with that one play and lack of a call. I've seen enough replays of it to see it clearly was pass interference. But the lack of a helmet to helmet contact call was correct. The pass defender clearly hit the receiver first with his shoulders, and after that their helmets hit as a rebound from the initial hit.

But that particular call got all the attention. In that game, as well as the Kansas City-New England game later that day, the officials were not calling penalties that would have been called during regular season games. There were a number of pass defender holds or interference infractions that I could easily see on TV. Most of them never got flagged. I believe the NFL had clearly told the officials to ignore those type of infractions. Yet all the fuss & bother has been over that one play and lack of penalty call.
I meant it more as in the Saints would likely have made for a more exciting Super Bowl and could have found the end zone. But as they always say, never put yourself in a position where winning or losing is decided by the refs!

I agree about bad calls and missed calls in both championship games...

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

I enjoyed all of the playoffs except the super bowl. It was super boring. I wish the Chiefs had made it in. :)
If there's 2 things I know they'll forever wish they had back, it's the overthrown wide open touchdown and the offsides penalty that negated an interception on the Pats' tying drive.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed win or lose the KC would have made it an exciting game no matter who they played.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis