Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So I'm minor league losing my sh!t over this knee bidness. One issue I'm having is Pandora likes to cut out on it's own after 20 or 30 minutes play time.1St world problems , right? As a complete surprise it turns out music is more fun than the good drugs I am taking. Depeche Mode is a band I am going to explore further. I just figured out I could plug my MDR-V6 can right into the laptop. When the girl goes to work I plan on singing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I for some reason thought to only ever use ear buds before. So I've got this idea in my head that I can do boring stretch stuff or develop scar tissue out of sheer laziness coupled with being more f^%&ing black and blue than I have ever seen on flesh. F^%&! They all say the swelling/bruising is not all that bad comparatively. I think they say that to all the boys.

The pain ... I can't wait to get in an environment where I can destroy everything. Anyway, someone help me out with Pandora so I can at least groove while I scream. :D

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Knee replacement? Not been through but know several who have. They say suck it up and do what the doc says for stretching and exercises and it will get better.

If it's ACL reconstruction, then definitely do the stretches to get it to rehab properly. Wish good luck. Sucks and painful and hell and will seem like you have tourret's for a while. But it will get better with the exercises.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a total replacement. I stay pretty limber due to the Fall Twister Circuit. Winning.
Knee replacement? Not been through but know several who have. They say suck it up and do what the doc says for stretching and exercises and it will get better.

If it's ACL reconstruction, then definitely do the stretches to get it to rehab properly. Wish good luck. Sucks and painful and hell and will seem like you have tourret's for a while. But it will get better with the exercises.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Here's Alex working out for Team Twister tournament. This is an early round.
In the advanced division, they add Mazola oil to the inflatable pit for the championship round.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's a total replacement. I stay pretty limber due to the Fall Twister Circuit. Winning.
I worked for someone whose knees were in terrible condition- he walked with a constant limp and was so bow-legged it looked like he was strapped onto a horse for years. Kind of like Yosemite Sam, actually. He had both replaced in one year because he wanted to go skiing with his group, but his healing period was too late for him to ski, just go along for the trip. And getting gooned. Then, he came back and went to a party- as he walked to his car, he stepped on some black ice and his foot went out to the side and it broke the part of his leg where the replacement fits in. I saw a photo of him this morning, posted on FB to show his friends and family that he survived a 150 mile bike ride. His knees were replaced last year and he broke the leg this past Winter. He said that by comparison, the recovery was better than what he had dealt with for the years leading up to it. He likes to snow ski out West, kayak, ride his bike and not being able to go all out wasn't good for him- he's 67 years old.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I worked for someone whose knees were in terrible condition- he walked with a constant limp and was so bow-legged it looked like he was strapped onto a horse for years. Kind of like Yosemite Sam, actually. He had both replaced in one year because he wanted to go skiing with his group, but his healing period was too late for him to ski, just go along for the trip. And getting gooned. Then, he came back and went to a party- as he walked to his car, he stepped on some black ice and his foot went out to the side and it broke the part of his leg where the replacement fits in. I saw a photo of him this morning, posted on FB to show his friends and family that he survived a 150 mile bike ride. His knees were replaced last year and he broke the leg this past Winter. He said that by comparison, the recovery was better than what he had dealt with for the years leading up to it. He likes to snow ski out West, kayak, ride his bike and not being able to go all out wasn't good for him- he's 67 years old.
The recovery is, according to my knee guy, more painful for younger recipients. He only said this because he knew I didn't like or tolerate opiates well. I'm on day 10 and doing as well and better than is expected, maybe because I'm 53. But pain wise this tops anything I've seen in terms of intensity. I'll be sure to watch out for ice though. :)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ouch, sorry, Other Alex!

I've torn an ACL and then de-gloved the same knee when I was hit on the Bimmer. Now I just have bone spurs that cause it to swell up regularly!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Ouch, sorry, Other Alex!

I've torn an ACL and then de-gloved the same knee when I was hit on the Bimmer. Now I just have bone spurs that cause it to swell up regularly!
I'm finally developing the vocabulary to talk about this. De-gloved though? You mean .... ? Oh no ... That can't be good.

They had me taking baby asprin and Celobrex and now for the first time ever, my BP is high. Gotta go see my Primary Care guy today about that. I'm nearly at the stage where I might be able to not take anything for pain. Stretching and exercise make it feel great but a cooled off, slept on knee is sure to wake me after a few hours. It's tough but I'm almost there and past the worst of it intensity wise. Now it's gonna be weeks of no ice cream and lots of work.

Don't try this at home.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
In a month it will be a year since my last knee surgery (4th in 6 years). I opted for repair instead of removal of the meniscus. Hindsight says should have been removal due to easier recovery. At the time of injury I developed regional complex pain syndrome in my foot on the same limb. Couldn't do any PT except low resistance strap extensions and just now feel comfortable. My thigh is still 6cm smaller than preop.

Good luck with the recovery, and just keep eating the opiates, as the tolerance gets much better. You should try zohydro, it's a time release hydrocodone twice a day. It dosent hit you hard and allows you to take a secondary med like actemephine to hit the acute pain effectively. Other option is to try a synthetic opiate like buprenorphine.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The recovery is, according to my knee guy, more painful for younger recipients. He only said this because he knew I didn't like or tolerate opiates well. I'm on day 10 and doing as well and better than is expected, maybe because I'm 53. But pain wise this tops anything I've seen in terms of intensity. I'll be sure to watch out for ice though. :)
I know someone who had a congenital knee problem that involved bone necrosis- he said Demerol was great when he was in the hospital. He was about 40 when he had his first operation and it worked well- he's another one who likes to ski and he was miserable before the treatment.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I broke my femur in a car accident and still have a titanium rod in it. They spent more time fixing the leg and neglected to correct the knee issues. They said I'd have hip issues later, well it is over 10yrs now and no hip issues, but knee has been causing problems all along. Recovery was a long process. I don't use their drugs either.

Good luck with recovery.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
In a month it will be a year since my last knee surgery (4th in 6 years). I opted for repair instead of removal of the meniscus. Hindsight says should have been removal due to easier recovery. At the time of injury I developed regional complex pain syndrome in my foot on the same limb. Couldn't do any PT except low resistance strap extensions and just now feel comfortable. My thigh is still 6cm smaller than preop.

Good luck with the recovery, and just keep eating the opiates, as the tolerance gets much better. You should try zohydro, it's a time release hydrocodone twice a day. It dosent hit you hard and allows you to take a secondary med like actemephine to hit the acute pain effectively. Other option is to try a synthetic opiate like buprenorphine.
I read the link for RCPS and I think I have that in my whole body. :D I've only got 10 oxy's left. After the BP scare I stopped taking scheduled drugs. Now it's a new age, peace and love doping routine that greatly advances me doing what I want, when I want. The last oxy was 12 hours ago instead of 6 hours ago like the script calls for. I'm on acetaminophen and it does work but I'm not doing that every 6 hours anymore either. I will continue to alternate but on an as needed basis and I note the time on my phone. My experience with synthetic opiates (Tramadol) is that aside from pain relief I get wired AF. IIRC it acts as an anti depressant but it leaves me out of sorts the next day. Really, now that the bum knee is gone and working the new knee actually relieves pain , my need for scheduled pain relief is dwindling. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

One thing I saw said that if your range of motion wasn't that great before the surgery, it's not going to be great after surgery. My range of motion was, as a point of pride, great before surgery. I guess this is my 3rd surgery in 4 years. It was 2 arthroscopic surgeries first. One on each knee and now this. The scope on the left knee was worth while but a waste of time on the right knee due to arthritis. The right scope gets counted as a shot and a miss.

I broke my femur in a car accident and still have a titanium rod in it. They spent more time fixing the leg and neglected to correct the knee issues. They said I'd have hip issues later, well it is over 10yrs now and no hip issues, but knee has been causing problems all along. Recovery was a long process. I don't use their drugs either.

Good luck with recovery.
Thanks, John.

Don't get me wrong, when I needed real pain relief, their drugs were the right tool for the right job but I would rather skip the whole withdrawal thing. A guy I work with said it took about 4 months before he could go back to doing what we do. I'll be so happy to have people stop noticing how I move. I'll be so happy to quit 'trying' to walk normal.

So what knee issues do you have? There is not a West Coast Twister League so we can rule out a few things but what would it take to fix what is wrong.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW tramadol is weak, I'm glad you got relief from it. As for wired, I found after the initial doses all opiates will pick you up as long as you don't take too much more than prescribed. I had synthetic morphine (Demerol) after the acl replacement and spinal fusion and I could watch a whole movie and not remember one bit of ito_O.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Total knee replacement is very painful had mine done 2012. Had two arthroscopy‘s torn meniscus before the knee replacement. My knee replacement is a 30 year one today I still can’t fully bend it all the way back. Walking is great no pain but if I sit to long in a chair or stand to long in one spot the muscles around my knee will swell and will stiffen up. A knee replacement isn’t a fix all nothing is better than your real knee. It was the most painful thing I have ever done the rehab was awful the first two months. I seen men and women leave in tears from rehab. Rehab is very grueling even with pain meds, some went through rehab and got to 125 % of their knee bend without much pain others like me had to fight very hard to get to 120. Take good care of your knees fellas cause the alternative is living with a knee replacement.

Mike

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Alex,
Sorry to hear you are in such pain, unless that is what you are into (NTTAWWT).

One thing I would mention on pain relief is to consider it from the standpoint of aiding sleep. YMMV, but if you are running a cumulative sleep deficit (due to pain),you might consider taking a nap whenever the pain meds you are taking kick in. Your body won't be its best at healing if you are sleep deprived. Also proteins are the building blocks, so I'd do high protein diet. You're not a kid anymore, so it makes sense to give your body any advantage you can to allow it to heal efficiently! (A nutritionist once told me that around 25 is when your body starts rotting faster than it is growing - before that you can eat crap like cheap frozen pizza three time a day and your body will largely make it work!)

Instead of my knee-jerk (sorry!) "eat protein", here are some intelligent people talking about diet for joint healing:
http://www.mills-peninsula.org/orthopedics/joint-replacement/patient/nutrition-tips/
https://www.livestrong.com/article/323807-foods-that-help-healing-after-knee-surgery/
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/healing-phases-nutrition.21918/
http://www.homecuresthatwork.com/15519/8-healing-remedies-to-repair-joints/

Hopefully your doctor has a comprehensive approach and has provided this type of information; however, I see too many otherwise smart doctors who look at joint replacement as being isolated to the surgery process with little thought about the subsequent role your body plays in aiding/accelerating your recovery aka healing.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, John.

Don't get me wrong, when I needed real pain relief, their drugs were the right tool for the right job but I would rather skip the whole withdrawal thing. A guy I work with said it took about 4 months before he could go back to doing what we do. I'll be so happy to have people stop noticing how I move. I'll be so happy to quit 'trying' to walk normal.

So what knee issues do you have? There is not a West Coast Twister League so we can rule out a few things but what would it take to fix what is wrong.
I needed the pain killers too, just tried to keep them to the shortest time I could tolerate. I am pretty sure my MCL is the issue, it has some scarring and it occasionally moves in the wrong way and I have to "pop" it back into place. It isn't so bad that I am in constant pain, but I definitely know it right away when it goes wrong and that's usually after higher levels of activity. The ultimate fix is probably surgery, but regularly working it out is all they prescribed for it. I walk a lot and I think that's the best thing for it. I did the Wharf to Wharf run from Santa Cruz to Capitola this past weekend and it is twitching right now. The worst part, after surgery it took me 3 months to relearn how to walk and took a few years to not have a noticeable limp :( Physical therapy was a HUGE help though.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I needed the pain killers too, just tried to keep them to the shortest time I could tolerate. I am pretty sure my MCL is the issue, it has some scarring and it occasionally moves in the wrong way and I have to "pop" it back into place. It isn't so bad that I am in constant pain, but I definitely know it right away when it goes wrong and that's usually after higher levels of activity. The ultimate fix is probably surgery, but regularly working it out is all they prescribed for it. I walk a lot and I think that's the best thing for it. I did the Wharf to Wharf run from Santa Cruz to Capitola this past weekend and it is twitching right now. The worst part, after surgery it took me 3 months to relearn how to walk and took a few years to not have a noticeable limp :( Physical therapy was a HUGE help though.
I'm never gonna run on this leg unless the police are chasing me and even then it's gonna have to be more than one cop and probably a dog. I'd take my chances with just about anybody one on one. I'm looking forward to being able to walk the nearly 3 miles round trip to the local red box. I use to do that when I needed to not be 282.2 f^%&ing pounds. Can you imagine? I'm currently 30 pounds less but still porky.

Total knee replacement is very painful had mine done 2012. Had two arthroscopy‘s torn meniscus before the knee replacement. My knee replacement is a 30 year one today I still can’t fully bend it all the way back. Walking is great no pain but if I sit to long in a chair or stand to long in one spot the muscles around my knee will swell and will stiffen up. A knee replacement isn’t a fix all nothing is better than your real knee. It was the most painful thing I have ever done the rehab was awful the first two months. I seen men and women leave in tears from rehab. Rehab is very grueling even with pain meds, some went through rehab and got to 125 % of their knee bend without much pain others like me had to fight very hard to get to 120. Take good care of your knees fellas cause the alternative is living with a knee replacement.

Mike
30 years? Congratulations!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis