Votes: 5 71.4%

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'd of course have a biased opinion, being a happy KEF owner. Between those two, the KEF Q100 is a really good speaker and though your room is open they would perform as well or better than the Philharmonic AA's in the area you'd be using them. They can put out up to about 107dB and are of about the same sensitivity as the AA's. The AA's would definitely give more bass, but not a huge factor if a subwoofer is in play. The midrange might be more detailed, the tweeter a tiny bit more subdued.

Another difference is that they are front ported, so you could easily place the closer to a wall or even mount to a wall. Given the list price of Q100's right now is $549 a pair, you probably have quite a bargain on your hands. Do looks matter? Grills on the Q100's are rather conservative, while off it's quite a different look.

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
I'd of course have a biased opinion, being a happy KEF owner. Between those two, the KEF Q100 is a really good speaker and though your room is open they would perform as well or better than the Philharmonic AA's in the area you'd be using them. They can put out up to about 107dB and are of about the same sensitivity as the AA's. The AA's would definitely give more bass, but not a huge factor if a subwoofer is in play. The midrange might be more detailed, the tweeter a tiny bit more subdued.

Another difference is that they are front ported, so you could easily place the closer to a wall or even mount to a wall. Given the list price of Q100's right now is $549 a pair, you probably have quite a bargain on your hands. Do looks matter? Grills on the Q100's are rather conservative, while off it's quite a different look.
I just ran to the store and pulled a deal hunter move.
Got them to price match and beat competitor by 15% bringing my total to $404 CAD, equaling around $310 USD tax inclusive. The AA's were $210+$40 shipping to USA border + $20 gas to get to border= $270 but I also may have been taxed at the border by another 10% bringing the cost to $295. So prices were fairly similar and I like the look of KEF a lot more.

Plus I bought a BIC F-12 refurbished for $170 USD all in so my bass should be sufficient.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
So to be clear, you got the Q100's for that $404 CAD? If so, that's really quite a good price!

I have a BIC F-12 in my secondary system (guest bedroom) and it's pretty good for the money too.

Congratulations!

K

Kingsway

Enthusiast
So to be clear, you got the Q100's for that $404 CAD? If so, that's really quite a good price!

I have a BIC F-12 in my secondary system (guest bedroom) and it's pretty good for the money too.

Congratulations!
Thanks!! Lets hope I'm not disappointed. I probably won't be since I'm not actually that experienced with this stuff.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
One thing about buying into that Q series speakers is that as time goes on and budget allows, if you feel you want to grow into a surround sound system you have a lot of options. There's the Q200c and Q600c center speakers, larger speakers for front mains and move the Q100's to surround or rear speaker duty, or just double-up on them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis