Suggestions for replacing Denon x3400h

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I just bought a Denon 3400 thinking that it could do a 7.2.4 atmos setup, but turns out it cannot. If you look at the Denon product page they are lying about the capabilities of this receiver. I'd like to return it and replace it. Any NON Denons I should look at in the 600 dollar price range? Even if it cannot do 7.2.4 I'd like some suggestions to look at. I'm likely going to stick with 7.2 anyways now that I see those receivers cost quite a bit more. My only real requirements would be volume on screen since my equipment is in a closet. I'm not 4k yet, but would like to be ready for it in the when the time comes to replace my PJ. I have a 5 channel amp so I don't need a receiver with high output.

Denon Product page which clearly shows 11.2
(Cant post links yet, but if you want to find it just go to Denons web site.)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see what you mean. It doesn't say it can do 7.2.4 from what I saw either. It may be able to still process 11.2, though? I have an 11.2 avr (Denon 4520) and it doesn't do 7.2.4...just 11.2.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I just bought a Denon 3400 thinking that it could do a 7.2.4 atmos setup, but turns out it cannot. If you look at the Denon product page they are lying about the capabilities of this receiver. I'd like to return it and replace it. Any NON Denons I should look at in the 600 dollar price range? Even if it cannot do 7.2.4 I'd like some suggestions to look at. I'm likely going to stick with 7.2 anyways now that I see those receivers cost quite a bit more. My only real requirements would be volume on screen since my equipment is in a closet. I'm not 4k yet, but would like to be ready for it in the when the time comes to replace my PJ. I have a 5 channel amp so I don't need a receiver with high output.

I see where it says 11.2 with preamp channels, which is weird. I guess it means it can have up to 11 speakers with using the zone functions. However it cannot process more than 7 at any one time.

As for another AVR, if you still like how it performs you might as well keep it. At the current price it's a good deal. The only other AVR I can think of at that price is the Onkyo RZ820, which is what I bought. I really like it. It was a huge upgrade from my old HK. Not so sure if it would be an upgrade for you or not. Depends on how AccuEQ works compared to Audyssey in your room with your speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Denon website described it as a 7.2 receiver, where did you see 11.2?

The feature and sound quality of the X3400H is unbeater at the current price. I traded mine for the X4400H only because I thought I might want to try Atmos.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I guess the problem was my fault. I saw 11.2 listed on the product page and the manual stated that zone 2 preouts were re-assignable and surrounds back outputs were also reassignable. So I had it in my head that the receiver could only do 7 channels, but if you had an amp you could do a combination of preouts and internal outputs for a custom configuration of 11.2.

The funny thing is I bought it without even wanting atmos, but I thought it would be nice to have that future proof option. After I got it hooked up I started researching atmos and thought it might be kinda cool to go for it. Thats when it all went down hill for me lol.

Attachments

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
The Uk version is correct. 7.2, however it can do 5.2.2 Atmos/Dts:X
https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/homecinema/avreceiver/avrx3400h

You would need something like the 4400H to do all 11 and you would still need an external stereo amp if you wanted to 7.2.4 instead of 5.2.4.

If you are only interest in 5 main channels then it looks like the 3400 would do, if you stayed with 5.2.2. It has the pre-outs so you could still use the 5 Channel amp and just power the Atmos via the 3400H

I think you might struggle to get 11 or even 9 channel AVR with pre-outs for $600. You may need to increase this a couple of hundred. Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer all have something in their range to accommodate you but I think it's at a cost.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you are only interest in 5 main channels then it looks like the 3400 would do, if you stayed with 5.2.2. It has the pre-outs so you could still use the 5 Channel amp and just power the Atmos via the 3400H.
I think you're right. I think you can assign the Zone 2 as "Front Height", which is for Atmos 5.1.2.

So @PENG could have kept his X3400 for Atmos 5.1.2, unless he wanted Atmos 5.1.4. :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess the problem was my fault. I saw 11.2 listed on the product page and the manual stated that zone 2 preouts were re-assignable and surrounds back outputs were also reassignable. So I had it in my head that the receiver could only do 7 channels, but if you had an amp you could do a combination of preouts and internal outputs for a custom configuration of 11.2.

The funny thing is I bought it without even wanting atmos, but I thought it would be nice to have that future proof option. After I got it hooked up I started researching atmos and thought it might be kinda cool to go for it. Thats when it all went down hill for me lol.
The comparison tables are not 100% accurate, I actually alerted @loveinthehd recently, as he linked the comparison page a few times before.

Aside from that, on the product sheet and manual, Denon has been clear that the X3400H is a 7.2 that can do 5.1.2 Atmos. Go for the X4400H, it's an excellent unit.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I spoke to the reseller on Amazon and they will take it back even tho its been opened and installed. I love Amazon! I guess I've gotten spoiled dealing with some very customer oriented companies like SVS and PSA who bend over backwards to keep their customers happy. Here's the email I got back from Denon which is comical at best, lazy at worst. Chalk it up to lesson learned I suppose.

Thank you for contacting Sound United, we value you as a Sound United customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

That seems to be an error in the website coding.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you for contacting Sound United Customer Support. Have a great day!

Thank You,

Sound United
Customer Support

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I spoke to the reseller on Amazon and they will take it back even tho its been opened and installed. I love Amazon! I guess I've gotten spoiled dealing with some very customer oriented companies like SVS and PSA who bend over backwards to keep their customers happy. Here's the email I got back from Denon which is comical at best, lazy at worst. Chalk it up to lesson learned I suppose.

Thank you for contacting Sound United, we value you as a Sound United customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!

That seems to be an error in the website coding.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you for contacting Sound United Customer Support. Have a great day!

Thank You,

Sound United
Customer Support
Good job letting them know! I checked the Canadian site, and it was correct, just like the UK one. On the US site, they have it right for the X3500H, 7.2.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I wasn't just letting them know, I was expressing buyers remorse. I wasn't expecting them to send me an upgraded module for free, but a sorry we screwed up our web site would have been nice. Then 5 minutes later I get an email from the guy simply saying "please send me your proof of purchase ASAP!" Like he wasnt suppose to talk to me before I registered my product or something. I dont know, I'm not impressed with this company at all.

I'm looking at some Yamaha models that were suggested to me before I bought the Denon. I think I've given up on the atmos idea, but the only voice I have with a business is the one my wallet makes.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I've been reading all day long on all this and now I'm starting to wonder if I should consider going 5.2.2 over 7.2. I had it in my head that I wanted 7.2.4, but the price increase for 7.2.4 is huge so I don't think I want to go that route. But many people are swearing that 5.2.2 will blow 7.2 away. Any thoughts?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been reading all day long on all this and now I'm starting to wonder if I should consider going 5.2.2 over 7.2. I had it in my head that I wanted 7.2.4, but the price increase for 7.2.4 is huge so I don't think I want to go that route. But many people are swearing that 5.2.2 will blow 7.2 away. Any thoughts?
Only you can tell if 5.1.2 is better than 7.1. Can't you find. Local dealer or friend who can do a demo for you?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
See my post in the things i hate thread. I live in small rural area. Demo'ing is out of the question and friends all use tv speakers. :(

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Yeah Im realizing that now. Im gonna go home and get drunk and decide this in the morning lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis