Suggestions for new receiver?

P

Paul Jubick

Enthusiast
So you guys are saying I better save some more money?

1612? The link posted is for refurbished receiver. Would you advise going that route? I DO wanna get the most out of my speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
@Grador, so being the 473 power specs are misleading, would you now say the Denon 1613 would be a better choice over the Yamaha 473?

@zieglj01 What about the Denon 1613 (not the 1612) in your opinion versus the Yamaha 473? Does the 1613 still apply to what you said about beating the Yamaha 871 in terms of power and anything else?

Also, someone told me Denon Audessey calibration is unchangeable and that you can't adjust the speaker volumes at all. Is this true?
You seem to be going in a circle, on a merry-go-round >>>
I would easily take the 1613 over the 473.

Check my posts again.

The Yamaha is OK, for something like them Energy speakers.
However, they do not have the efficiency of the Denon in the
surround mode.

You seem to be stricken/drawn to Yamaha.

I do not really mess with Audyessy, YPAO or MCACC - however they
can be a tool to help set-up a system. > They tend to wear me out
and overall, do not impress me.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
1612? The link posted is for refurbished receiver. Would you advise going that route? I DO wanna get the most out of my speakers.
AC4L is a good respected company. I have bought receivers
from them before, with no problems.

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
Sorry to go in circles. I just want whatever I buy to be it for a while. So, I'm just making sure. I'm not drawn to Yamaha, really, I just seem to hear about Yamaha a lot. I'm just scared to make a bad choice, which is why I'm here. To gather as much info as possible. Plus, I read things like Denon over heating and shutting down and such, so it scares me.lol. But, if you say it's good, it's good. I do appreciate everyone's time and opinions.

So, my final question and I'll shut up about this, is ...Do the Denon's typically overheat, or is that just user error?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
As a yamaha fan I can say I've never heard of denons having that issue.

I would also say though that the power difference is probably negligible here.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
So, my final question and I'll shut up about this, is ...Do the Denon's typically overheat, or is that just user error?
No need to shut up. LOL

To my knowledge Denon has a great track record and uses quality parts. Yamaha is the same. As is Marantz. Onkyo receivers tend to overheat and they can be very unreliable. For this reason, I am not a fan. :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sheesh.

No, denons do not "typically" overheat. If they did, they would not be one of the better known and better selling brands in the world, would they?

You can find people saying bad things about anything in this world if you look hard enough, probably even Mother Theresa. I think i said this just recently, perhaps even to you.

Many, if not most of us own them. Do you think we would have gone down that road if they were known to have problems?

Do you really think we would recommend them if they did?

Do you really think that little of our opinions? Why do you ask us then?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
No, denons do not "typically" overheat. If they did, they would not be one of the better known and better selling brands in the world, would they?

You can find people saying bad things about anything in this world if you look hard enough, probably even Mother Theresa. I think i said this just recently, perhaps even to you.

Many, if not most of us own them. Do you think we would have gone down that road if they were known to have problems?

Do you really think we would recommend them if they did?

Do you really think that little of our opinions? Why do you ask us then?
Now, now Mark. Let's not badger the witness.

Add some perspective. The OP does not know us personally. He does not know our technique for choosing receivers. He does not know our bias. All the OP knows is he wants to get the best receiver he can, but doesn't have the knowledge to do so comfortably. Therefore he comes to us. He's not supposed to just take it blindly. He deserves to know our reasoning and logic and when OPs ask I am more then willing to tell them.

He's in a tough spot...random people who say they are knowledgeable, are recommending something to him that costs him a lot of money. There is nothing wrong with making sure we aren't tards. That's the price we pay for giving free info on the web. That's the price OPs pay when asking for it. :D

Lots of people recommend Onkyo when they have problems. Many people recommend Legacy even though they don't measure well, etc. He's just trying to get piece of mind. He deserves that, I think!

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
Sorry , did not mean to offend. I think very highly of everyone's opinion. I'm spending my hard earned money and wanted as much info as possible and since I don't know much about this stuff, I am honored to have all of these replies. I was just thinking maybe it's user error that people were experiencing over heating and being I'm a novice might make the same mistakes. Sometimes even the greatest tools in the wrong hands can be worthless. I think you guys are great for doing this,obviously, since in my previous threads I got suggestions I acted on. Thanks to everyone again.I'm going pick up my Denon 1613.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Don't be. You did nothing wrong, IMO. Don't buy something just because we tell you. Validate, ask us questions, make sure we know what were doing. Don't buy something until your doubts are satisfied. :D

I like when OPs ask questions and validate my advice. It shows there is still hope for humanity. :D If someone just took my advice because I say I'm knowledgeable, I'd be pretty sad. :p

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm just scared to make a bad choice, which is why I'm here. To gather as much info as possible. Plus, I read things like Denon over heating and shutting down and such, so it scares me.lol. But, if you say it's good, it's good. I do appreciate everyone's time and opinions.

No, they do not tend to over-heat and shut down.

I have owned lots of receivers, even Yamaha - and I like Yamaha.
However with Yamaha, I do not favor the lower range numbers.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
No, they do not tend to over-heat and shut down.

I have owned lots of receivers, even Yamaha - and I like Yamaha.
However with Yamaha, I do not favor the lower range numbers.
I agree 100%. Their High-end receivers are very very good. Their lower end is good, but I think Denon is better. :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
There's a limit.

Now, now Mark. Let's not badger the witness.

Add some perspective. The OP does not know us personally. He does not know our technique for choosing receivers. He does not know our bias. All the OP knows is he wants to get the best receiver he can, but doesn't have the knowledge to do so comfortably. Therefore he comes to us. He's not supposed to just take it blindly. He deserves to know our reasoning and logic and when OPs ask I am more then willing to tell them.

He's in a tough spot...random people who say they are knowledgeable, are recommending something to him that costs him a lot of money. There is nothing wrong with making sure we aren't tards. That's the price we pay for giving free info on the web. That's the price OPs pay when asking for it. :D

Lots of people recommend Onkyo when they have problems. Many people recommend Legacy even though they don't measure well, etc. He's just trying to get piece of mind. He deserves that, I think!
If, after fifty posts, all fairly unanimous in their support of a particular brand, he wants to put as much weight on some random negative reviews on the web buy "one shot wonders" then let him have at it. Having to refute anonymous complaints is not part of the job

As you say, this is the price WE have to pay for offering free advice, hearing this bit of hard truth is part of the price HE has to pay for receiving all this "free" advice.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry , did not mean to offend. I think very highly of everyone's opinion. I'm spending my hard earned money and wanted as much info as possible and since I don't know much about this stuff, I am honored to have all of these replies. I'm going pick up my Denon 1613.
Check in anytime - no problem.:)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
If, after fifty posts, all fairly unanimous in their support of a particular brand, he wants to put as much weight on some random negative reviews on the web buy "one shot wonders" then let him have at it. Having to refute anonymous complaints is not part of the job
Yes it is. We're in the job of helping people. :D The OP has absolutely no context and understanding (still love you OP) about receivers. When he sees a poor review, it's scary. "Maybe I shouldn't go with this." How does he know we are more credible than the other guy? We prove it to him with logic and reasoning.

As you say, this is the price WE have to pay for offering free advice, hearing this bit of hard truth is part of the price HE has to pay for receiving all this "free" advice.
I completely understand if you don't want to answer any more of his questions. You will hear no complaint from me. However "hard truth" is just going to make him feel like an ***, and insist he conform. Are we correct? Yes, of course we are..we know what we're talking about, but the idea is to help him understand why we are correct, not bully him (no offense) into conforming. :D :D

M

mfontmt

Audioholic Intern
Also, I'm a scientist in the medical field for a living. It's in my nature to question and look at all possibilities. I do like logic and reasoning. All these posts have greatly helped in my decision and thank god for people like you because there are a lot of products ,bad and good,out there and for people like me, we are easy targets for the over hyped, over priced low quality products we don't need.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Also, I'm a scientist in the medical field for a living. It's in my nature to question and look at all possibilities. I do like logic and reasoning.
I love science. :D I'm very happy that people still have that natural desire to question things. Far too many people just take what's shoveled at them. :(

All these posts have greatly helped in my decision and thank god for people like you because there are a lot of products ,bad and good,out there and for people like me, we are easy targets for the over hyped, over priced low quality products we don't need.
There are many of those in the audio world! :D

I'm glad we could help. :D

If you have more questions about anything, feel free to post or PM me. :D

P

Paul Jubick

Enthusiast
So much great info here, thank you

I have created my own confusion because I am not asking the question in precise terms. So try this: You have a 15x25 family room with a 55in LG 3D smart TV, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. What receiver would you purchase if you wanted to get the most out of your home theater experience (nice surround,3D movies,picture clarity,music) but yet wanted to spend the least amount possible? Thank you all for your time.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have created my own confusion because I am not asking the question in precise terms. So try this: You have a 15x25 family room with a 55in LG 3D smart TV, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. What receiver would you purchase if you wanted to get the most out of your home theater experience (nice surround,3D movies,picture clarity,music) but yet wanted to spend the least amount possible? Thank you all for your time.
My answer is still the same

The limitation is not so much the receiver, as it is the
small speakers. The 1612 will power the speakers. >>

There is only so much power and radiation coverage,
that you can get from those speakers, in that room.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Also, I'm a scientist in the medical field for a living. It's in my nature to question and look at all possibilities. I do like logic and reasoning. All these posts have greatly helped in my decision and thank god for people like you because there are a lot of products ,bad and good,out there and for people like me, we are easy targets for the over hyped, over priced low quality products we don't need.
Yes, I'm an EE with an undergrad in physics. There's a lot of hype out there, often based on good science, but irrelevant and/or inconsequential in the real world...

Add this to the personal factor. I love the guitar amp I built and play through. However, would I choose it in a double blind test? If I choose a different one is it because of a simple setting? Or am I just intrigued hearing a different sound then I'm used to? You get the point I'm sure!

Cheers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis