Suggestions for music speakers at various price points

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I find subjective reviews in audiophilia very hard to follow as fact. Night and day differences or being blown away often wither away in a real bias-free comparison....good luck and looking forward to your comments in any case.
Their are lots of articles that discuss the high current need of the Magnepan LRS. In addition, when I placed my order the company went over these details as well and asked what amps I had and planned to obtain.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Their are lots of articles that discuss the high current need of the Magnepan LRS. In addition, when I placed my order the company went over these details as well and asked what amps I had and planned to obtain.
It still relates to actual use, i.e. how loud you need at your distance from the speakers. Sure if you want to open things up a larger more capable amp would be the way I'd go, too, but it may not be necessary for some either. Speakers with that kind of sensitivity and impedance load and wanting to drive them as loud as I usually like I'd put more powerful amps on them too. I'd never buy Naim or Hegel myself mostly just due they're overpriced for what they are IMO, nor do I have any use for a 2ch integrated amp particularly.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
yep, I get it. You can look into shopping online and ask what there return options are. You can come over to my place and listen to my Revel Salon2's and my home theatre downstairs. suburbs of chicago. You can take your time and keep shopping, or just get what you have your heart set on. You won't know how good or bad they are if you have nothing to compare to.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
I read the review of the Monoprice THX—365T that is here.

I am thinking of adding them to my list.

Might be a good way to also ease into Atmos.
I like the reviews. I almost wanna run out and take a listen. I think some of the guys in here can agree. There is not much atmos content out there. I've been so disappointed, but these movie production companies are not really spending the money in audio. Atmos is impressive when you use it but its so few and far between. Put atmos last on the list. If you really want to get the biggest bang for your buck in a theatre room. Do not go cheap on a subwoofer

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
I read the review of the Monoprice THX—365T that is here.

I am thinking of adding them to my list.

Might be a good way to also ease into Atmos.
SVS has really great customer service. You can "borrow" for up to 45 days. Here's somethin to take a look at......

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
I have narrowed it down through help from here and abroad. I have a two week Christmas break and will get some speakers to audition over that time period. I can do some private listening and some listening with my lovely wife. I am still looking for a killer deal on some used speakers but here is my list of new speakers I will be trying.

Monolith THX-365T. I have seen a number of excellent reviews of these speakers (including here) and while I probably won’t do it it would allow me to start easing into Atmos. Strengths are overall excellent performance and as I said it would allow me to ease into Atmos. Negatives are they are a bit large for bookshelf speakers and they are by far the most expensive on the list. They also have the weakest warranty at 1 year although my credit card will extend it to 3 years.

The Triangle BR03. Again, very well reviewed. Strengths are good sound, compact compared to some of my other choices and front ported for placement. Weaknesses are it would be a bit more expensive than some others if I ever decided to switch my home home theater system over.

JBL A170. Strengths are again it is well reviewed especially for rock music. (Love my classic rock!) Also it is definitely the most affordable when on sale and with coupon and cash back. Also if I ever want to switch over my HT system this is the most affordable way to go. Downsides these are rear ported towers that will take up space and the recommendation I have seen is they need to be 30" from the wall.

Ascend Acoustics CMT-340. These are generally well received speakers and I got fabulous customer service from them when I asked some questions about buying some of their speakers used. Not a lot of negatives come so far but I will have to see how they compare to others.

Paradigm Premier 100B.Strengths are again a well reviewed speaker and I also can buy it from my local dealer. Weaknesses are the shortest, if any demo time and maybe the weakest value.

I would like to thank everyone that has given constructive input.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I like the Monoprice speakers from that list.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
I have narrowed it down through help from here and abroad. I have a two week Christmas break and will get some speakers to audition over that time period. I can do some private listening and some listening with my lovely wife. I am still looking for a killer deal on some used speakers but here is my list of new speakers I will be trying.

Monolith THX-365T. I have seen a number of excellent reviews of these speakers (including here) and while I probably won’t do it it would allow me to start easing into Atmos. Strengths are overall excellent performance and as I said it would allow me to ease into Atmos. Negatives are they are a bit large for bookshelf speakers and they are by far the most expensive on the list. They also have the weakest warranty at 1 year although my credit card will extend it to 3 years.

The Triangle BR03. Again, very well reviewed. Strengths are good sound, compact compared to some of my other choices and front ported for placement. Weaknesses are it would be a bit more expensive than some others if I ever decided to switch my home home theater system over.

JBL A170. Strengths are again it is well reviewed especially for rock music. (Love my classic rock!) Also it is definitely the most affordable when on sale and with coupon and cash back. Also if I ever want to switch over my HT system this is the most affordable way to go. Downsides these are rear ported towers that will take up space and the recommendation I have seen is they need to be 30" from the wall.

Ascend Acoustics CMT-340. These are generally well received speakers and I got fabulous customer service from them when I asked some questions about buying some of their speakers used. Not a lot of negatives come so far but I will have to see how they compare to others.

Paradigm Premier 100B.Strengths are again a well reviewed speaker and I also can buy it from my local dealer. Weaknesses are the shortest, if any demo time and maybe the weakest value.

I would like to thank everyone that has given constructive input.
Paradigm have a huge markup. If your local dealer wants to make a sale , he should be able to knock off 20% out of the gate

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
Anywhere between the woofers ideally, but the further back you listen, the less it matters.
Thanks.
As these are a bit bigger than some other bookshelf speakers I was wondering about them in terms of having some shorter speakers stands ready.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I have the THX-365C in my system and it's a strong performer. Vocals are rich and smooth. I am not usually concerned about warranty on speakers. While electronics have a shorter life, I have speakers that work great after 20+ years. I had the surround on a sub fall apart from old age but a $25 surround replacement and some glue brought it back to life.

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
I have the THX-365C in my system and it's a strong performer. Vocals are rich and smooth. I am not usually concerned about warranty on speakers. While electronics have a shorter life, I have speakers that work great after 20+ years. I had the surround on a sub fall apart from old age but a $25 surround replacement and some glue brought it back to life.
I agree speakers can last a long time but that doesn’t change the fact the Monolith speakers have the shortest warranty. Is it a dealer killer for me? No it probably isn’t but it is a negative.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How well should an AVR like my Denon 1912 drive them?

Thanks.
Those Monoprice speakers are 4-ohm speakers. To be honest, your AVR isn't ideal to drive those speakers if you intend to listen at louder volumes levels. However, your room isn't very large so you probably won't be driving them real hard.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis