Suggestions for music speakers at various price points

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
I have a HT system of four Primus 162 speakers, a Primus PC350 center and a BIC V1220 sub. I make significant use of it for HT and I have certainly enjoyed it for music listening. However we are buying a new house soon and we intend to set up a media room. I plan on keeping the Primus speakers for home theater but I want to get some better speakers for music. I bought a pair of Elac UniFi UB5 locally used at a good price and I find them an improvement for music but I feel I can do better them them with a larger budget. I also plan on upgrading the sub to something like a Rythmik L12 or a HSU VTF-3.

I currently use a Denon1912 receiver and will keep that for a while. I will update my receiver at some point but it will be in that sort of category. I will use the Zone 2 on the receiver to power the music speakers and the main zone will power the HT system.

The room: I will be using something like a 2nd/3rd bedroom. They tend to be somewhere in the range of 10 by 10 to 12 by. A few houses we have looked at have had rooms in the 14 by 11 range. I know to avoid a square room.

The sub: I am leaning toward something like the Rythmik L12 with maybe the HSU VTF-3. I find our current BIC works fine for HT in our 11 by 17 room so I certainly think the mentioned subs would handle that job in an even smaller room along with being more musical than our current V1220.

My music tastes:mostly classic rock for my serious music listening along with a tinch of classical. For causal music listening I also do smooth jazz, light classical, movie and theater music and Christmas music in season.

Sources of the speakers: I am leaning toward Crutchfield, Accessories4Less, SafeandSound, Internet Direct companies, and the used market. My local B&M dealers don’t seem to have much to offer at my price points.

Price ranges: <$350, <$500, <$750, <$1000, <$1200

Amongst the speakers I am considering are the Ascend CMT-340, Triangle BR03, various Martin Logan at Crutchfield and SafeandSound and a few Focal at A4L.

Any constructive input is welcomed.

Thanks.

Last edited:
R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Ascend CBM170’s
Ascend CMT340’s
Ascend Sierra1’s
Ascend Sierra1’s w/NRT
Ascend Sierra2 B-Stock

Done.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Im confused at your SPEAKER budget?. How many speakers? 2-3-5-7?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For the purposes of home theater, get the VTF-3 mk5, the L12 isn't in the same ballpark. However, if the sub is for your music system, a VTF-3 mk5 is certainly overkill (it would still be a lot of fun though).

As for speakers, I think one you ought to take a look at is the Outlaw Audio BLSv2. It is a terrific speaker with nice low-frequency extension for its size. Moving up a bit in price, look at the Revel Concerto2 M16, another really good speaker. I like the RSL CG5 speakers. The NHT C3 looks good. The KEF Q350 ought to be good. The Polk L100 is definitely worth looking at.

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
Im confused at your SPEAKER budget?. How many speakers? 2-3-5-7?
I just need two speakers for music. I am keeping the Primus speakers for HT. And I am going to run the two new speakers using Zone 2.

Thanks.

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
Ascend CBM170’s
Ascend CMT340’s
Ascend Sierra1’s
Ascend Sierra1’s w/NRT
Ascend Sierra2 B-Stock

Done.
Thanks for a list that really matches my budget categories brilliantly!

I already had the CMT340 on my list and the others seem to be good fits for my various price points.

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
For the purposes of home theater, get the VTF-3 mk5, the L12 isn't in the same ballpark. However, if the sub is for your music system, a VTF-3 mk5 is certainly overkill (it would still be a lot of fun though).

As for speakers, I think one you ought to take a look at is the Outlaw Audio BLSv2. It is a terrific speaker with nice low-frequency extension for its size. Moving up a bit in price, look at the Revel Concerto2 M16, another really good speaker. I like the RSL CG5 speakers. The NHT C3 looks good. The KEF Q350 ought to be good. The Polk L100 is definitely worth looking at.
The speaker choices are interesting. Do you have any personal experience with any of these?
Thanks.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
$350
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170

Parts Express TriTrix MTM

$500
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340

SVS Prime

$750
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT. (Great Speakers)

Polk Audio LSiM 703

Canton 830.2

$1000
SVS Ultra

Canton 836.2

I would skip the $1200 price range. Not much sense with $1000 speakers being so good. I'd look at these for around $2000

JBL HDI 1600

Salk Sound BMR Monitors

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Thanks for a list that really matches my budget categories brilliantly!

I already had the CMT340 on my list and the others seem to be good fits for my various price points.
Lol. I was doing it sort of jokingly.

But all of those speakers really are quite great any any price point.

Good luck!

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
$350
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170

Parts Express TriTrix MTM

$500
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340

SVS Prime

$750
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT. (Great Speakers)

Polk Audio LSiM 703

Canton 830.2

$1000
SVS Ultra

Canton 836.2

I would skip the $1200 price range. Not much sense with $1000 speakers being so good. I'd look at these for around $2000

JBL HDI 1600

Salk Sound BMR Monitors
Any personal experience with any of these?
Thanks

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
I was looking at some used speakers: PSB. image X1T.
Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Magnepan LRS $650 plus $80 shipping = $730. It takes 3 months for delivery. An amazing speaker in this price range for acoustic music, vocals and horns. Order here: https://www.magnepan.com/contact

Looking for a great amp to get the most out of the LRS? Look at Hegel H90 or H95. Or NAIT 5SI.
Hegel H90 https://listenup.com/hegel-h90-clearance-open-box.html

This is an amazingly detailed sounding system in the budget range of $2->2.5K.

Last edited:
C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
I have a HT system of four Primus 162 speakers, a Primus PC350 center and a BIC V1220 sub. I make significant use of it for HT and I have certainly enjoyed it for music listening. However we are buying a new house soon and we intend to set up a media room. I plan on keeping the Primus speakers for home theater but I want to get some better speakers for music. I bought a pair of Elac UniFi UB5 locally used at a good price and I find them an improvement for music but I feel I can do better them them with a larger budget. I also plan on upgrading the sub to something like a Rythmik L12 or a HSU VTF-3.

I currently used a Denon1912 receiver and will keep that for a while. I will update my receiver at some point but it will be in that sort of category. I will use the Zone 2 on the receiver to power the music speakers and the main zone will power the HT system.

The room: I will be using something like a 2nd/3rd bedroom. They tend to be somewhere in the range of 10 by 10 to 12 by. A few houses we have looked at have had rooms in the 14 by 11 range. I know to avoid a square room.

The sub: I am leaning toward something like the Rythmik L12 with maybe the HSU VTF-3. I find our current BIC works fine for HT in our 11 by 17 room so I certainly think the mentioned subs would handle that job in an even smaller room along with being more musical than our current V1220.

My music tastes:mostly classic rock for my serious music listening along with a tinch of classical. For causal music listening I also do smooth jazz, light classical, movie and theater music and Christmas music in season.

Sources of the speakers: I am leaning toward Crutchfield, Accessories4Less, SafeandSound, Internet Direct companies, and the used market. My local B&M dealers don’t seem to have much to offer at my price points.

Price ranges: <$350, <$500, <$750, <$1000, <$1200

Amongst the speakers I am considering are the Ascend CMT-340, Triangle BR03, various Martin Logan at Crutchfield and SafeandSound and a few Focal at A4L.

Any constructive input is welcomed.

Thanks.
You mention you will shop pre-owned. I bought my Revel Salon 2's pre-owned and the store demo Anthem str power amp. I couldn't be more satisfied. This is just what I was looking for. Slightly over my budget but anything new in my budget just was not gonna get me where I wanted to be. I demo'd paradigm 7f's which were nearly the same price, but for my style of music, hair metal, hard rock, rock, pop....the Revel salon 2's outperformed all of my expectations. I found the paradigm geared more toward your listening style. Get out there and start demoing. It's the only way to find what your looking for.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis