Suggestions for music speakers at various price points

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Conclusions
The Magnepan LRS is a hugely flawed speaker with moments of delight.

OOPS

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Conclusions
The Magnepan LRS is a hugely flawed speaker with moments of delight.

OOPS
Then again that doesn't stop many from enjoying them otoh....but setup and listening position can be critical with such speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
These speakers are a moot point with me because as I said I using a Denon 1912 right now and eventually will be buying a moderately priced AVR not a $2K stereo amp.
Well you could use those speakers with an avr....altho they're relatively low sensitivity and low impedance so not the best match for some avr amp sections....depending how loud you want to get.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Well you could use those speakers with an avr....altho they're relatively low sensitivity and low impedance so not the best match for some avr amp sections....depending how loud you want to get.
The Magnepan LRS require considerable current to sound their best. That's why I recommended two integrated amps that have been shown to work very well with them. It's not wattage, but current that makes the difference.

It would be rare to find a receiver that can offer the same high current and damping factor that opens them up and makes them sing.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The Magnepan LRS require considerable current to sound their best. That's why I recommended two integrated amps that have been shown to work very well with them. It's not wattage, but current that makes the difference.

It would be rare to find a receiver that can offer the same high current and damping factor that opens them up and makes them sing.
$650 speakers and a $1700 amp

12350987_448858235320435_488661709_n.png

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
$650 speakers and a $1700 amp

View attachment 40034
You should understand the Magnepan LRS is a super discounted factory special that takes 3 months to get. It compares easily with speakers costing 3x as much. The companies uses it to addict audiophiles to buy bigger more expensive panels. It's speaker crack! :D

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic

But that is beyond my budget. I need speakers that will sound good with my current Denon 1912 AVR or something similar to it when I upgrade at some point. And that point might be a while away. In fact, it probably is a while away and I am okay with that.

Yes, the speakers are definitely within my budget but they require equipment I will never purchase. Therefore, as I said, they are a moot point.

I do appreciate people trying to help though, let me be clear. If you have any other suggestions that do meet any of my budget categories do feel free to share.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
But that is beyond my budget. I need speakers that will sound good with my current Denon 1912 AVR or something similar to it when I upgrade at some point. And that point might be a while away. In fact, it probably is a while away and I am okay with that.

Yes, the speakers are definitely within my budget but they require equipment I will never purchase. Therefore, as I said, they are a moot point.

I do appreciate people trying to help though, let me be clear. If you have any other suggestions that do meet any of my budget categories do feel free to share.
Budget. You don't need a stinkin budget. Just put it on a credit card. But more seriously, look for pre-owned. You can get some real good upgrades for the same price you woulda paid new. People upgrade all the time and trade in there old for new

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
Budget. You don't need a stinkin budget. Just put it on a credit card. But more seriously, look for pre-owned. You can get some real good upgrades for the same price you woulda paid new. People upgrade all the time and trade in there old for new
What do think about the used PSB X1T’s that I mentioned?
Thanks.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You should understand the Magnepan LRS is a super discounted factory special that takes 3 months to get. It compares easily with speakers costing 3x as much. The companies uses it to addict audiophiles to buy bigger more expensive panels. It's speaker crack! :D
I have heard Magnapans on many occasions and I don't get what people think are so special about them. I think people just assume that the design would be better in some ways, and then that expectation colors their experience. My guess is the odd spectral balance along with the dipole radiation which accentuates late reflections does make for a unique sound relative to typical speakers. However, if a typical box speaker had the kind of sound that Maggies do, it would be condemned.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
look for pre-owned. You can get some real good upgrades for the same price you woulda paid new
And what used "upgrade" is the OP going to get for his budget? How much of a loss do you think people take on their speakers to make this worthwhile? Yes I understand there are deals out there. But the OP is not going to end up with $5000 in speakers for his $1200 bucks. Maybe depending on how old the speakers are.
And with some of the new speaker deals at 50% off out there how do you beat that? And with internet direct companies selling their speakers at the prices they do for the quality you get how do you beat that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

At lower volumes that wouldn't be a particular issue, tho; wattage/current do have a relationship. Damping factor isn't an issue with most modern amps. If you want them to get fairly loud I'd agree that an amp with appropriate capabilities would be better.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
At lower volumes that wouldn't be a particular issue, tho; wattage/current do have a relationship. Damping factor isn't an issue with most modern amps. If you want them to get fairly loud I'd agree that an amp with appropriate capabilities would be better.
My Magnepan LRS speakers are scheduled to arrive in Oct. The amps I quoted were from posts I read where people thought the LRS was just OK until they matched them with the Hegel H90 or the Naim integrated amp. Then they were blown away. Once they arrive I will compare them with the Denon 4700 vs Adcom and Hegel H90.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I find subjective reviews in audiophilia very hard to follow as fact. Night and day differences or being blown away often wither away in a real bias-free comparison....good luck and looking forward to your comments in any case.

My Magnepan LRS speakers are scheduled to arrive in Oct. The amps I quoted were from posts I read where people thought the LRS was just OK until they matched them with the Hegel H90 or the Naim integrated amp. Then they were blown away. Once they arrive I will compare them with the Denon 4700 vs Adcom and Hegel H90.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
What do think about the used PSB X1T’s that I mentioned?
Thanks.
Never heard of them, so I never listened to them. I can only share my experience and what works for me. There are some pretty brilliant people in here that have been incredibly helpful to me. I don't get involved with all the technical data that these guys do. What works best for me. Going to the store and hear them for yourself. Sound is selective. What sounds good to me may not to someone else. Every room will have different acoustics and sound different when you take them home. With that said, you can fix your acoustic environment. You can place your speakers somewhere else, you can move, add, remove paintings, furniture....I also look at my speakers as a piece of furniture, so they have to look good to me. I was looking to upgrade my Klipsch rp8000's for 2 channel music. I watched some videos and got some recommendations in here like you. I really had my sights set on some Martin Logans that went on sale. I went to listen to them and my klipsch, that were 1/2 the price sounded better to me. Someone in here, maybe it was loninhd or danzilla helped me figure out why my klipsch were sounding muddled. For one my crownxls1002 wasn't configured correctly and two, the rp8000 were stuck in a corner. I fixed my amp and pulled them away from the corners and WOW, what a difference. Also an amp can change the sound. If you don't put the correct power into it they will sound a little lazy, less vibrant. Sorry if this wasn't helpful. But if you have your eye on somethin, go listen to them if you can. At the same time listen to somethin twice as expensive and something of equal value. Tune your ear. And always bring your own music

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
Never heard of them, so I never listened to them. I can only share my experience and what works for me. There are some pretty brilliant people in here that have been incredibly helpful to me. I don't get involved with all the technical data that these guys do. What works best for me. Going to the store and hear them for yourself. Sound is selective. What sounds good to me may not to someone else. Every room will have different acoustics and sound different when you take them home. With that said, you can fix your acoustic environment. You can place your speakers somewhere else, you can move, add, remove paintings, furniture....I also look at my speakers as a piece of furniture, so they have to look good to me. I was looking to upgrade my Klipsch rp8000's for 2 channel music. I watched some videos and got some recommendations in here like you. I really had my sights set on some Martin Logans that went on sale. I went to listen to them and my klipsch, that were 1/2 the price sounded better to me. Someone in here, maybe it was loninhd or danzilla helped me figure out why my klipsch were sounding muddled. For one my crownxls1002 wasn't configured correctly and two, the rp8000 were stuck in a corner. I fixed my amp and pulled them away from the corners and WOW, what a difference. Also an amp can change the sound. If you don't put the correct power into it they will sound a little lazy, less vibrant. Sorry if this wasn't helpful. But if you have your eye on somethin, go listen to them if you can. At the same time listen to somethin twice as expensive and something of equal value. Tune your ear. And always bring your own music
I checked and my local stores have very little for me to demo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis