Suggestions for a Living Room Home Theater Setup

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Hi,

I am planning to setup my living room with a decent sized home theater system.

Here is the layout for my living room...

Since I am new here , I cannot direct post the pic here. So, here is the link.

flickr.com/photos/14934212@N03/3239994043/

First of all, I have been reading about sound technology and how it works for a couple of weeks now.

I am usually going to use this room for all my TV and movie watching. I would really like some suggestions for the speaker system (I can start with a couple of tower speakers for the fronts, but, your input is appreciated). Also, except for the TV (Samsung 52 inch lcd) and OPPO DVD Player DV-980H, I don't have an A/V receiver to start with. Please suggest that too.

Also, I am looking for a system that would cost around 3000 max (This is the limit of my spending, although I plan to start with front speakers and then, think about adding more).

Appreciate you reading this post.

Thank you.

K

klix58

Junior Audioholic
Welcome to the group, you will find so many opinions and suggestions here and without negativity. To begin I will say audition, audition, audition. Recievers to consider are usually Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha. I have had great luck with the first two. consider the following:
Reciever:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR705/Onkyo/TX-SR705-THX-100w-x-7ch-Theater-Receiver-BLACK/1.html
Mains:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMT65
Center:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMC40
Sub:
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm
Just a start as the room is good size this gear would fill it no problem and the reciever will leave room for upgrade and offers HDMI switching. Set aside money for a Harmony remote as well. What I have posted is under your $3000.00 budget so you have money for cables, stans and surrounds. Cable go to blue jeans cable. Hope this helps. A final thought is to move your post to either the reciever or loudspeeker threads for greater visibility.

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Welcome !

And that is a very nice budget you have there. For $3,000 you can get yourself an excellent setup.

You have many choices and I'm sure you'll receive lots of recommendations.

The only thing I wanted to add is that you should seriously consider a Power Conditioner to protect your equipment. It's a small price to pay for piece of mind.

John

Timmy245

Timmy245

Audioholic
klix has given good advice there IMO
ill just add a few denons to the list ( i am biast towards denon as i own one) so definetly still look around but heres some more options (maybe pushing the budget a bit here but i guess it depends how much you spend on speakers (which again IMO are much more important then the amp but thats not saying buy $2000+ speakers and buy a $150 amp for an amp in your budget wanting to buy mains at the same time i would look around the $500+ range but thats just me other people here would probably rather spend less and thats fine everyones opinion counts :) )
so heres the links and good luck in shooping for your setup
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4560.asp
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4241.asp
the 789 and 1909 have same specs performance wise there is some very minor differences though between the 2
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4527.asp
if you could push your budget even further you may wish to consider the 2809 but like i said b4 speakers come first and are more important
also consider yamaha 663 and 863 and the onkyo klix mentioned
anyway hope i could be of some help :)
Tim

also with the amps the prices on the website arent what i would expect to pay for them you should be able to get them for less in a retail store

Last edited:
A

audioholic212

Audioholic
I am assuming you were able to see the link in the post.

The reason I ask is to stress the fact that one of my listening position is around 27 feet from the TV. Although my main listening position is 16 feet from the TV.

Klix,

Thank you for your suggestions. I haven't heard of PSB speakers until now. I will consider those. Also, a friend suggested I go SVS for the sub. So, that increased my stand on getting the SVS sub.

John,

Thank you for your input. Do you have an amazon link or something for the power conditioner?

Timmy,
I saw an AVR-889 for 20 percent off at the Circuit City Liquidation sale (but honestly, it wasn't cheaper than amazon). But, now I will consider the Denon 1000+ numbers too.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Hi,

I am planning to setup my living room with a decent sized home theater system.

Here is the layout for my living room...

Since I am new here , I cannot direct post the pic here. So, here is the link.

First of all, I have been reading about sound technology and how it works for a couple of weeks now.

I am usually going to use this room for all my TV and movie watching. I would really like some suggestions for the speaker system (I can start with a couple of tower speakers for the fronts, but, your input is appreciated). Also, except for the TV (Samsung 52 inch lcd) and OPPO DVD Player DV-980H, I don't have an A/V receiver to start with. Please suggest that too.

Also, I am looking for a system that would cost around 3000 max (This is the limit of my spending, although I plan to start with front speakers and then, think about adding more).

Appreciate you reading this post.

Thank you.
If that is the price for starting, and you will add more later, you need to go out and listen to as many speakers, and as many types of speakers (e.g., ribbons, domes, horns, etc.) as you can stand to audition. For $3000 for the front speakers and receiver, you can get some really good speakers. If sound quality matters, spend most of your money on speakers, not the receiver. A/V receivers are like computers, in that they lose their value quickly, and if you had only waited another year, you could get something better for the same amount of money.

I personally like Yamaha and Pioneer for high value in receivers, and I think you should look into them, so that you can put as much as possible into speakers. I used to run a system with a receiver that retailed for about $600 with speakers that retailed for well over $6000, and it sounded great (as it should with such expensive speakers). Because I wanted more features, I replaced the receiver with one that retails for about $1600. My system sounds the same, unless I engage some new feature that affects the sound. Put your time and effort and money into finding the best speakers you can get, and you will get better sound than if you squander it on a receiver that will probably be out of date before long. Although it is hard to know what will seem necessary that the latest receivers can't do, I am sure the manufacturers are thinking long and hard on coming up with something to make the audio nuts replace their receivers.

One more thing: I don't like Onkyo surround receivers, because ever since DPL II came out, Onkyo units cannot properly decode the old DPL. If you don't care about properly decoding DPL, then this might not matter to you.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The reason I ask is to stress the fact that one of my listening position is around 27 feet from the TV. Although my main listening position is 16 feet from the TV.
Hi. Where is the listening position that is 27 feet away? The breakfast area? Thanks.

Here's the layout for everyone else:

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Phyrro. Thank you for the suggestions about the av receivers. Actually, I meant my limit was 3000 for the whole setup, not just the speakers. But, if I end up spending, let's say 2500 for the two front speakers, a center one and an av receiver, I probably will end up not buying anything else. Maybe next year I will budget the remaining ones in. Something like that. Haven't really made up my mind yet.

Also, I am assuming DPL II mean Dolby pro logic 2. Not being able to decode it, would it matter for a starter like me? I am actually not sure what DPL is, hence my question.

Thank you.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Adam,

Yes, the second listening position I was talking about was the end of the breakfast nook.

Thank you.

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Have you looked at the Onkyo HT-S9100THX? It's only a third of your budget and has a lot of features - plus THX cert (not that THX is really important). That looks like a large and rather open space you have but I believe the 9100 will fill it nicely - plus you'll have money left over for stands (not included) and better speaker wire than what it comes with.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
You have a good size area for the sub to fill and may want something that goes lower than the SVS SB-12 can handle.

SVS PB12-NSD/PB12-Plus
HSU VTF-3 MK3
AV123 MFW-15
Epik Caliber/Castle/Tower

The PSB T65s are nice, but you can save some cash and go for the T45/55s and get great performance. More speaker suggestions:

Energy RC-30/50/LCR
Monitor Audio RS-6/LCR
KEF iQ-50/70/60C
Polk RTi A5/7/CSi-A4/6

A good receiver in the $500-$1000 range will work well. You’re going to want a BluRay player also for the best/latest A/V performance on your display.

K

klix58

Junior Audioholic
AVrat......I second the MA as I have them, RS8, I was trying to balance the budget for him, thanks though for adding them to the list, I love em, and they cost a bit more than the PSB but I had everthing else. Again thanks.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Phyrro. Thank you for the suggestions about the av receivers. Actually, I meant my limit was 3000 for the whole setup, not just the speakers. But, if I end up spending, let's say 2500 for the two front speakers, a center one and an av receiver, I probably will end up not buying anything else. Maybe next year I will budget the remaining ones in. Something like that. Haven't really made up my mind yet.

Also, I am assuming DPL II mean Dolby pro logic 2. Not being able to decode it, would it matter for a starter like me? I am actually not sure what DPL is, hence my question.

Thank you.
DPL is Dolby Pro Logic, which is a matrixed format. "Matrixing" is a troublesome word, in that it is used to describe two different processes. The kind of matrixing that is done with Dolby Pro Logic (and the center rear channel in Dolby Digital EX and the matrixed version of dts-ES) is where they take, in the studio, more channels than the finished product can contain, and mix them down in a special way to fit on those fewer channels. To make life simpler, let us confine our discussion for the moment to Dolby Pro Logic (hereafter referred to as DPL).

With DPL, they have 4 separate channels in the studio. The front right, front left, front center, and rear (also called "surround", which is why it is "S" in the quote below). These four channels are then mixed together down to two channels in a special way:

The L and R inputs go straight to the Lt and Rt outputs without modification. The C input is divided equally to Lt and Rt with a 3 dB level reduction (to maintain constant acoustic power in the mix). The S input is also divided equally between Lt and Rt, but it first undergoes three additional processing steps:
• Frequency bandlimiting from 100 Hz to 7 kHz.
• Encoding with a modified form of Dolby B-type noise reduction.
• Plus and minus 90-degree phase shifts are applied to create a 180 degree phase differential between the signal components feeding Lt and Rt.
http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/zz-_Shared_Assets/English_PDFs/Professional/208_Dolby_Surround_Pro_Logic_Decoder.pdf

Your DPL decoder at home reverses this process to give you 4 channel sound from a two channel source. This whole scheme was developed for theaters to use, so that there would only need to be two channels of sound on the film. There was not room on the film to easily add more channels, and also, this way, they could use existing projectors with two channel readers, which then feed the signal to a special decoder. But it also is perfect for two channel VCRs and 2 channel sound on analog TV.

Now, of course, they can do sound differently than when DPL was invented, and they can keep the channels totally separate from each other. Dolby Digital and dts (in their 5.1 versions) do just that.

Basically, the matrixed Dolby Digital EX and the matrixed dts-ES mix the rear center channel in the right and left rear in a manner similar to how the front center channel is mixed into the front right and left in DPL.

Now, finally, we can get to the other idea of matrixed sound, and that is where you make up channels that never existed in the original recording studio. This is what happens, for example, when you apply DPL IIx to an ordinary two channel CD. The recording studio did not have a mix for 7.1 sound; they had a two channel mix. The processing that is done at home in this case moves sound that was intended for the front right and left speakers to other places. Hence, it re-directs, or mis-directs, the sound to other places. Now, whether this creation of previously non-existing channels is a good thing or a bad one is a matter of preference. But it simply is not what was originally mixed, whereas the result of using DPL on a DPL encoded movie soundtrack is not creating any new channels that did not previously exist, but is only recreating what was in the mixing studio before it was forced onto only two channels.

So, if one uses DPL II or DPL IIx on a soundtrack that was originally encoded as DPL, one is re-directing, or mis-directing, sound to where it originally was not intended to be. Whether you like the result or not is what should determine whether you do this or not. But do not imagine that you are simply decoding the sound; you are processing it in a way that was not intended when it was originally recorded. It is like using "Hall" or "Studio" or some other DSP mode to process the sound in a way that is, hopefully, pleasant.

Onkyo omits DPL decoding, and some DVDs have DPL soundtracks on them. Onkyo will tell you to "decode" DPL soundtracks with DPL II (or DPL IIx), but as discussed above, that is not really decoding the signal, but processing it in a manner not intended by those who recorded it. Most, if not all, other brands give you a choice, so you can use either DPL or DPL II (or DPL IIx) if you prefer.

With your price point, I would budget enough for maybe a Yamaha RX-V663 (which can easily be had for less than MSRP), and put all of the rest into the speakers (including subwoofer).

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
Thank you Phyrro. That explained DPL pretty much.

Also, one of my friend suggested Aperion Speakers. Anyone in here suggest Aperion?

Thank you.

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
re: Power Conditioner suggestions

Here are a few links on products you might want to consider. Have a read through and then do a search on amazon or whatever other online retailer you like dealing with.

APC: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=H15BLK

MONSTER:http://www.monstercable.com/power/home_theater/high_definition_powercenters.asp

PANAMAX: http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Components/Default.aspx

BELKIN: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=202493

John

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
John,

Thank you for the link. Audioholics were having a sale on APC H15 silver (I personally prefer black, but, couldn't beat the price) for 149.99. So, went ahead and bought that. Now, all I have to do is buy l,r,c speakers and sub and a av receiver....lol....

Thank you,

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
John,

Thank you for the link. Audioholics were having a sale on APC H15 silver (I personally prefer black, but, couldn't beat the price) for 149.99. So, went ahead and bought that. Now, all I have to do is buy l,r,c speakers and sub and a av receiver....lol....

Thank you,
That's wonderful to hear! Congrats! That unit is highly regarded and talked about on several forums, so I have no doubt you made a good choice.

John

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
AVRat,

Assuming my room is just the size (20 X 17 = 340 sq ft), or a little more, maybe 350 sqft (I am assuming I won't be using breakfast nook as part of the listening area), then, should I still look at PB12 (NSD or Plus) instead of and SB12? The only reason I am asking is that I saw a thread here by probably Adam which kind of suggested that PB12 is way more powerful that what I am looking for. Just checking.

Thank You.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Well that would really depend on what your preference/expectations are. If you look at the response curves of the three SVS subs, you can see on the left side of the curve, that the NSD/Plus extend lower to give you deeper bass for a more visceral, bombastic HT experience.

http://www.svsound.com/products/subs/sb12plus/sb12plus_fr_smooth_popup_307.jpg
http://www.svsound.com/pix/pb12nsd_fr_comp2.JPG
http://www.svsound.com/products/subs/newpb12plus/fr_pb12plus_575.jpg

You really need to consider the entire volume of the space when attempting to achieve a given SPL (sound pressure level). Any of the subs I listed under $900 should work very well.

annunaki

annunaki

I would probably do an Onkyo HT-SR706 for the receiver, 7 matching bookshelf speakers and two subwoofers. What exactly those would be I am unsure. The basic AV123 Onix Bookshelves come to mind as an affordable option. The SVS package would also be something to consider at a lower price point. For subs, a pair of the simple Kappa perfect DIY build would be great, or the MFW-15 pair of subs for about $1k would work well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis