Subwoofers on hard wood floor, should i put them on a square peice of carpet?

A

amayseng

Audioholic
I think you need to stop what you're doing.

If you're going to seek Tech advice from unknown people on the internet, a clear understanding of your system layout is needed.

We seem to be in agreement that you have too many electronics on one circuit. The only solution to that, is another circuit. Until that is available, I would only use as many subwoofers as you are able to without inducing a hum.
Yep that is it. When I unplugged one subwoofer the hum goes away. When i plug it back in the hum returns.

I only have one outlet on that wall can I use a power condotioner or anything?
Setup:
Tv
Ps4
Router
Modem
Av
2 subwoofer tramsmitters.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will have to check when I get home however the wireless klipschs transmitters were plugged into the same thing and never a hum or noise at all
I figured the transmitters and the bulk of your gear are on the same single outlet mentioned, but if you have wireless receivers figure your receivers/subs are placed elsewhere? You can always try a cheater plug on the sub end, if they're three prongers, to see if you can eliminate the hum that way before taking a more permanent measure (or not, if that solves the problem but of course that has risk).

A

amayseng

Audioholic
I figured the transmitters and the bulk of your gear are on the same single outlet mentioned, but if you have wireless receivers figure your receivers/subs are placed elsewhere? You can always try a cheater plug on the sub end, if they're three prongers, to see if you can eliminate the hum that way before taking a more permanent measure (or not, if that solves the problem but of course that has risk).
Yes the subs are on 2 different walls/outlets and the av/tv and such is on another separate wall/outlet.
What is a cheater plug?
The subs plugs are only 2 prongs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes the subs are on 2 different walls/outlets and the av/tv and such is on another separate wall/outlet.
What is a cheater plug?
The subs plugs are only 2 prongs
Then the cheater plug wouldn't help as it converts a three prong to a 2 prong. One of these.

You may still be dealing with ground loop hum, tho.

A

amayseng

Audioholic
Then the cheater plug wouldn't help as it converts a three prong to a 2 prong. One of these.

You may still be dealing with ground loop hum, tho.
Its gotta be the Sunfire wireless system. Even with one sub i am getting the humming.
With the klipshs built in wireless subs they dont hum. Using the sunfire it hums
Defective product?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be it's simply more susceptible to hum but I don't really know...

A

amayseng

Audioholic
Ya i was running 2 klipschs wireless built in and 2 transmitters no hum perfect.
Got the polk running off sunfire wireless and left one klipsch with it and hum.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sunfire isn't particularly worthy IMO, at least not since Bob Carver left. Why do you think the issue is at the transmitter end and not the receiving end?

A

amayseng

Audioholic
My house is old and I just realized that I was already using the cheater plugs to plug my surge protectors into the outlet however using the cheater plug which is two prong I never screwed the ground into the outlet with the screw which I read will ground the plug. Is this why I'm having ground Loop hum? I am away from home therefore I have not tried it but when I get home I'm going to put the screw through the cheater plug into the outlet to grounded. Do you think this is why? Thank you again for all your help I truly appreciate it

A

amayseng

Audioholic
Sunfire isn't particularly worthy IMO, at least not since Bob Carver left. Why do you think the issue is at the transmitter end and not the receiving end?
I'm I'm not sure which unit is causing problems however I am receiving another receiver tomorrow and I will swap it out and make an assessment

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A

amayseng

Audioholic
The receiver isn't the only device plugged in at that end as far as a ground loop hum goes, though...your sub amps are, too....aren't they?
Both subs are on separate walls and both of those walls are separate from the wall/outlet that tehe reciever,tv,transmitter, router and such are plugged into.

So each sub has their own wall and outlet from the main unit.

If that makes sense

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Both subs are on separate walls and both of those walls are separate from the wall/outlet that tehe reciever,tv,transmitter, router and such are plugged into.

So each sub has their own wall and outlet from the main unit.

If that makes sense
That doesn't mean that exempts them from ground loop hum issues....

A

amayseng

Audioholic
That doesn't mean that exempts them from ground loop hum issues....
Ok so if I am running one or two Klipsch subs which are built in wireless and 150w rms each there is NO hum anywhere.

When i run one Polk which is 300w rms on Sunfire wireless there is hum.

If the Polk is wired no hum.

Has to be the Sunfire.

I am going to try audioengine they have hundreds of users and good reviews.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ok so if I am running one or two Klipsch subs which are built in wireless and 150w rms each there is NO hum anywhere.

When i run one Polk which is 300w rms on Sunfire wireless there is hum.

If the Polk is wired no hum.

Has to be the Sunfire.

I am going to try audioengine they have hundreds of users and good reviews.
The wireless controllers are probably one component too many on one circuit. When you have that many electronic devices sharing the same signal, and the same ground, you can induce a hum.

It doesn't matter if you are using separate outlets, you are using one circuit which is connected to one ground. That shared ground is the issue, and why you need multiple circuits.

A

amayseng

Audioholic
The wireless controllers are probably one component too many on one circuit. When you have that many electronic devices sharing the same signal, and the same ground, you can induce a hum.

It doesn't matter if you are using separate outlets, you are using one circuit which is connected to one ground. That shared ground is the issue, and why you need multiple circuits.
Ok but whwn I remove the Sunfire wireless transmitter then plug back in the klipsch and use that wireless transmitter and sub there is no hum. Switch back to the sunfire and hum returns.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ok but whwn I remove the Sunfire wireless transmitter then plug back in the klipsch and use that wireless transmitter and sub there is no hum. Switch back to the sunfire and hum returns.
Ohhhhhh you have two wireless transmitters going!

If the subs have them built in, why would use an external one?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis