P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
I know you said with the speakers also in play, but I meant just the amp to the sub using the speaker outputs on the miniamp, no speakers. FWIW in general keep direction of signal straight/in mind, too....it's going from speaker output on amp to the speaker input on the sub (just helps in general keeping things straight).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I'd try a splitter especially if I had one on hand (and I usually do :) ). I wish I were there to help!

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I'd try a splitter especially if I had one on hand (and I usually do :) ). I wish I were there to help!
It's getting silly now. I ll order a cable. So how would that work?
Amp still wired as I ve got it?
And the splitter would have to go into line input on sub and into minijack, but also into amp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My biggest reco would be to find a suitable old avr on the used market....better than that miniamp in many ways as well as simply using known functioning input on the sub you have. Even in the boonies I live in I regularly see such suitable avrs come at great prices....

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
My biggest reco would be to find a suitable old avr on the used market....better than that miniamp in many ways as well as simply using known functioning input on the sub you have. Even in the boonies I live in I regularly see such suitable avrs come at great prices....
Guess so. If it's possible to test the inputs I ll try that anyway

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With a better amp I m not confident it'll work. Be more wasted money
There's always a risk with older gear but since you know it can work with the rca input.....but being able to test the gear more with other gear can be revealing. I'm spoiled, I have tons of the stuff to alternate with....

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
There's always a risk with older gear but since you know it can work with the rca input.....but being able to test the gear more with other gear can be revealing. I'm spoiled, I have tons of the stuff to alternate with....
My son's got a proper set up. Could we test it with his amp. We spoke about this but his sub only has sub out connection. One cable from sub to amp. How could I test mine? Could we go from line level on sub to whatever it's supposed to be on his amp?
By now you ve sussed I don't know what I m talking about

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My son's got a proper set up. Could we test it with his amp. We spoke about this but his sub only has sub out connection. One cable from sub to amp. How could I test mine? Could we go from line level on sub to whatever it's supposed to be on his amp?
By now you ve sussed I don't know what I m talking about
Hey no worries one way or the other, would just like to see you able to enjoy the stuff! I love my shop setup, makes it much more enjoyable to be out there. Yeah I'd definitely get your son involved, take that sub over there and see if it works both ways well. If he has speaker terminals on his amps it should be able to see if there's a difference in using yours. Good father/son stuff in general IMHO.

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Hey no worries one way or the other, would just like to see you able to enjoy the stuff! I love my shop setup, makes it much more enjoyable to be out there. Yeah I'd definitely get your son involved, take that sub over there and see if it works both ways well. If he has speaker terminals on his amps it should be able to see if there's a difference in using yours. Good father/son stuff in general IMHO.
His amp was £350 so if that don't work, sub is in the bin

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
His amp was £350 so if that don't work, sub is in the bin
Price to performance doesn't mean a lot in many scenarios. Tossing in the bin isn't often as good as just setting it aside until better use comes along unless something is seriously broken, which really hasn't been established. Hang in there!

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Price to performance doesn't mean a lot in many scenarios. Tossing in the bin isn't often as good as just setting it aside until better use comes along unless something is seriously broken, which really hasn't been established. Hang in there!
I ll keep you posted with the results.thanks

P

Paintboy

Audioholic Intern
Think I ve sussed it. My son took it away and had a look and said he'd got it working. I got it back and now it's only got one pair of wires from speaker inputs to amp and is fine. Beats me why wiring both speaker inputs (2 positive s 2 negative s) into amp didn't get any sound

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis