Subwoofer too big for room? Searching for the right "feel"

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Wow!
You must listen much louder than I do!
How many dB do you require before the output begins to matter?
Also curious what sub(s) you are using!

As I posted earlier, I think 15" is generally the sweet spot for subs, but I don't feel like a sealed 12" is lacking in the least in a room like my guest bedroom (about 12 X 15).
The lower the frequency the louder it needs to be in order to be heard or in the case of below 20ish hz, felt. It takes a lot dbs to be able to feel sub 20hz output. A lot more than a small sealed sub can produce in average size spaces.
I have a PC12+ and a Deftech not so supercube 8000 in a 1600 cubic ft room that is or can be sealed pretty well. It's has windows, double pane glass which is pretty decent. I listen at around -15 for most action type movies.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The lower the frequency the louder it needs to be in order to be heard or in the case of below 20ish hz, felt. It takes a lot dbs to be able to feel sub 20hz output. A lot more than a small sealed sub can produce in average size spaces.
I have a PC12+ and a Deftech not so supercube 8000 in a 1600 cubic ft room that is or can be sealed pretty well. It's has windows, double pane glass which is pretty decent. I listen at around -15 for most action type movies.
My understanding is that reference level is 85dB, so you listen around 70dB (at the LP) for action movies, so how much is enough for the bass to be useful at lower frequencies?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, keep in mind LFE channel is 10dB higher, and 85dB is just an average reference level, and allow for peaks of another 20dB.....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, keep in mind LFE channel is 10dB higher, and 85dB is just an average reference level, and allow for peaks of another 20dB.....
So with volume at -15 (below 85) =70 ... plus 10 for LFE=80 ... plus 20dB for peaks =100dB to cover the peaks!
I generally like to have a bit more in reserve, but it is hard to argue that that is not enough bass to matter!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So with volume at -15 (below 85) =70 ... plus 10 for LFE=80 ... plus 20dB for peaks =100dB to cover the peaks!
I generally like to have a bit more in reserve, but it is hard to argue that that is not enough bass to matter!
On top of that is how we hear, particularly the lowest frequencies....so it just depends...and the more in reserve the better generally I think.

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
I finally got time to drag my heavy subwoofer around the room. Attached are the two best measurements I have. These are with audyssey off.
  1. Which placement would be best for a single subwoofer?
  2. The two measurements seem to compliment each other, do you think a second subwoofer would help event it out? Note the 40-50 dip remains the same regardless of where I place the sub in my room. Doesn't seem like I can get rid of it.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I finally got time to drag my heavy subwoofer around the room. Attached are the two best measurements I have. These are with audyssey off.
  1. Which placement would be best for a single subwoofer?
  2. The two measurements seem to compliment each other, do you think a second subwoofer would help event it out? Note the 40-50 dip remains the same regardless of where I place the sub in my room. Doesn't seem like I can get rid of it.
If I could only keep one of those responses, it would be the blue one. But yes, a 2nd sub should be helpful in getting a flatter response overall.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis