Subwoofer sound problem with next door neighbor

R

Romaman

Audiophyte
I live in a town house and my next door neighbor says that the vibrations are so loud that he can hear them in his house next door even though we have
concrete block between our houses. Frankly I don't believe him. I do however have 3 sub-woofers connected. My system is downstairs and I have a
insulated drop ceiling unfortunately. Does anyone have any suggestions on
how to muffle my sound while optimizing my surround sound for theater? My present walls are made of builder grade drywall with normal R19 insulation.
Any Ideas?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I live in a town house and my next door neighbor says that the vibrations are so loud that he can hear them in his house next door even though we have
concrete block between our houses. Frankly I don't believe him. I do however have 3 sub-woofers connected. My system is downstairs and I have a
how to muffle my sound while optimizing my surround sound for theater? My present walls are made of builder grade drywall with normal R19 insulation.
Any Ideas?
Other than bass traps, not really. What subs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd suggest you make an arrangement with your neighbor for a demo of how your listening level is audible in his place. With bass it's not hard to believe. Townhomes are prone to hearing your neighbors....even if you were separated by some distance a sub could still be a problem for a neighbor.....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your bass sound could easily be leaking into his home. The concrete blocks would have to form a very thick and wide barrier to stop it. Sadly, there is no practical way to sound proof low frequencies. My advice is use near-field placement, like put the subs very close to your listening position (like end table type placement or right behind the seat). That way, they don't have to work as hard to produce the same loudness at your listening position and therefore will not be as loud for your neighbor.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately when it comes to bass it's pretty hard to not have it leak. There's usually only one solution. You're gonna have to silence your neighbor... :p

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
While I have not tested and measured it, I was under the impression that trying to decouple the subwoofers from the floor as best you can (spikes, vibration platforms, special feet, etc.) has the potential to help reduce bass transmission through conduction. Not a complete solution, but might help a little if you haven't done so yet.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm trying to figure out whether you're complaining or bragging about your subs. :p

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I live in a town house and my next door neighbor says that the vibrations are so loud that he can hear them in his house next door even though we have concrete block between our houses.
If it's vibrations they're complaining about you can try an isolator like the SubDude. It won't muffle bass volume but it can reduce vibrations by decoupling the subwoofer from the floor.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Any Ideas?
At around 20 Hz or so, the wave length must be around 65-70 feet peak to peak. My subs are really loud in my garage. So yup, it will.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It appears that the OP did not like our suggestions and has now left the building...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That may be the last we here from Romaman
... as pre-dystopian society spiraled into moral decay, people were first killed in incidents of "road rage", then came "barbaric bass brutality" ...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis