Subwoofer selection, what's your opinion?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Well the SVS PB12-ISD is now calibrated.

Putting Master Volume at -25 dB, I used Avia and selected 70 dB on the SPL. All speakers at 75 dB and the sub at 80 dB.

My first tests were done with concerts:

Diana Krall's Live in Paris in DTS 5.1, Elton John's Greatest Hits in DTS 5.1, simply beautiful to see how musical this sub is.

During "Hotel California" in the Eagle's DTS music disc "Hell Freezes Over", I thought the bass drum was coming from the Center channel (I remember that before the sub was installed, that's where it was coming from when the Main and Center channels were "Large"), so I got up, went to the Center channel (real close) and yes the bass drum was coming from that speaker. So to make sure, I went to the sub and powered it off...no more bass drum to be heard (well not much)!! Put power back to the sub, and the bass drum was back.

Getting real close to the sub, you don't hear the bass coming from there. But when I place my hand on it, yes it's active and you can feel it.

As for movies, the LFE is very good. I also playedback the last episode of Jag with some war footage to start the program. It puts you in the action.

As far as music is concerned, there are low notes that I just discovered for the first time. Boy this sub goes way down and it's beautiful. For music, this sub is not aggressive at all (I made the calibration with reasonableness in mind). No boominess.

Last edited:
T

Tee-HTF

Audioholic Intern
CONGRATS mfabien!

On getting your new toy set-up, and there's nothing like quality bass!

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
mfabien

mfabien,

Sounds like the sub really works well! That's great!

I have a question about the fee to UPS, can I pay them with Credit Card. Did they phone you or show up at your door asking for money?

Cheers,
Dan

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
I'm asking because I ordered a sub from the US on Saturday.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Mulester, the 5 fingers question can only be answered by MR. Dave Chappelle at the following link. What did the 5 fingers say to the face? Please click on the Rick James clip on the top right that says "MORE of Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories". In my opinion this is the funniest damn thing I have ever seen. I have wasted a whole day at work before on these clips. The next best one is the Wayne Brady one, but I didn't want to put the question he asks in my signature, might cause problems for me. :D

Spider_Duggan, Did you go for the Infinity?

Mfabien, congrats, sounds like you'll be having fun for a long time to come.

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
I went with the Klipsch RW-12. It's a little light for it's size, but I auditioned it and I think it will do fine. I might get the infinity too, it's to damn cheap to pass up!

Also, I picked up an Onkyo DV-c601 DVD changer yesterday on a clearance sale. $150 CDN with a factory and extended warrenty! I felt like I was stealing! It's a little older now, 2001, but is being used for DVD and CD only, no burns, and has a Burr-brown DAC.

Anyone in Ottawa area should go by Audiotronic on Merivelle road, they had a few 600 DVD players for $99 and prog scan $700 DVD for $150 CDN.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
spider_duggan said:
mfabien,

Sounds like the sub really works well! That's great!

I have a question about the fee to UPS, can I pay them with Credit Card. Did they phone you or show up at your door asking for money?

Cheers,
Dan
In my case, the UPS fee was included in the price paid to SVS. For the amount to be paid upon receipt, you can pay by credit card, cheque or cash.

BTW, I was quite impressed with the UPS tracking system. And the expected delivery date was right on.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Hi there again Spider. Thanks for the tip, a quick question for you though. Do you know what model DVD player was on for $150, was it a changer as well or a single disc?
Thanks.

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
Takeereasy, and if she's easy, takeertwice!
Sorry, it's early and I'm a little sketchy because of an exam that I'm writing in a few hours.
One of the units on for $150 was a changer and one 2 or 3 were single disc units. The changer might have been the DV-C501, and one of the single DVD players was a progressive scan DVD at $160. THe other two singles were $99, on sale from $500-600.
Are you thinking of checking them out?

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
I downloaded the file, but will have to wait for a few weeks for the sub to arrive. Then I'll try it out.
Thanks

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I might, there's an audiotronics in Peterborough, Ottawa would be a little bit of a haul for me, but Peterborough is only about 40 min away. Thanks Spider-Duggan

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
I recommend that you call them before visiting. They might not have any Onkyo product left. All four or five items were the last of their kind in the Ottawa store.

Other then that, If you're in Peterborough then you could visit the Harely Dealer. It's always worth a short visit. But don't stay to long because one could end up spending money on Chrome and steel instead of lasers and electronics!

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
LOL, we've got a Harley/Buell dealer here. If I get in trouble for spending $150 on myself for a dvd player I don't wanna thing about what $30K could do to me. "UMMMM....sweetie, you know how we've been saving for a new house, and how we haven't spent much on anything else lately, well I was at the Harley dealer today and..." you can finish that however you like, either way I don't get out of the coma for at least 6 months.

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
"...at the Harley dealer today and I got you something special!"

I love the harley T-shirts that have printed on the back, "If you can read this then the Bit*$ fell off."
My girlfriend came up with a counter T-shirt for woman to wear while riding, "Anatomical anomaly, If you can read this then the ^ss is in front." Ouch, she's a sweety!

I didn't realize that *** would get starred out by the forum. ***

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Spider, some of these hank women think they were put on this planet to do something besides bring their man stuff from the icebox....what's up with that?....speaking of two wheels regarding these hank women, I have a 2002 Yammy V-Max, and the brake pads take a horrible beating when she is on the back as I love those "dinners" smashed against my back, haha....

grd4spd

grd4spd

Audioholic Intern
has anyone tried/experienced the PARADIGM Servo 15a? im looking at this to round out my system....

regards,
terry

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis