Subwoofer selection, what's your opinion?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Mfabien, your figures are really great but don't count on that price. Unless SVS cut you an incredible deal, I know they often give away an inter-connect for example, you are in for a rude awakening. Without a deal you're total comes to $727 US before shipping. To ship a box the size and weight of your sub costs approx. $60 US. A realistic conversion rate unless you paid cash is $1.25 Canadian for $1.00 US. That would mean you're already up to 908.00 CDN for your purchase, plus 75 shipping. You will have to pay 15% tax on the $908. That means your up to $1044 plus $75 shipping. You may still have to pay the 10% duty. Call UPS, I know certain electronics are exempt, but I'm not sure about subs. If the 10% applies we're talking $1148.40 plus $25 disbursment fee & $75 shipping. Add in your $65 UPS brokerage fee. Sounds like $1313.00 to me. Guess what, way more than a grand. You Americans have got it good when it comes to electronics. Make that great.

There is another possibility, Montreal is a part of Quebec, and much of Qubec's laws and practices are different then the rest of Canada. Their law is based on Napolionic Law as opposed to Roman Law like the rest of Canada and the US for example. It is quite possible you're shipping laws are different in Montreal than they are here in Toronto.

If you think my conversion rate is off, I checked it on Royal Banks website, according to them it would cost 911.95 Canadian to buy $727 American.

I had to write this post in response to Shockhead's witty rejoinder
PHP:
Gee,that doesnt sound like well over a $1000 at all.
Yes it does. I hope to goodness that Mfabiens sub makes it to him at a cost of $963. I just know that it won't. Oh and here's a :p for shokhead.

R

Red

Audioholic
mfabien said:
I corresponded with SVS, provided the dimension of my room and my thoughts for the sub's placement. SVS had serious reservations about my choice of the PB10-ISD and suggested the PB12-ISD, because of the size of my room. And then suggested alternate placement locations.
I'm probably way too cynical but my first reaction while reading your post and SVS' suggestion to go with the PB12 vs the PB10 was - of course they did because of the $170 (US) price bump for the PB12. I've never dealt with SVS and like I said I'm probably too cynical ;). So to give the fine folks at SVS the benefit of the doubt I'd be interested to know your room size,

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That :p is meant to be friendly shokhead, I've read alot of your posts and I know you often try to help out others on this site, I reread the post though and I came across kind of prickish, so I figured I'd better add this one.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Was just advised that delivery should be next Monday. Will advise what I needed to pay extra to UPS at that time.

My room size is as follows:

Width 15' by 35' in length and the first 11' has an extra 24' open area.

Last edited:
shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Takeereasy said:
That :p is meant to be friendly shokhead, I've read alot of your posts and I know you often try to help out others on this site, I reread the post though and I came across kind of prickish, so I figured I'd better add this one.
LOL Got ya. :p

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
warpdrive said:
Don't forget all the UPS brokerage fees and PST/GST as applicable.

The UPS fee on a sub would be around $60 I'd guess + another 2.7% disbursement fee (so for a $900 sub, it'd be around $25)

Then add your taxes (GST/PST) on top of that.
UPS shipping charge was $58.60 and included in my payment totaling $786.55 US.

Shipping weight is 87 lbs. Hope the UPS guy will help bring it downstairs...for a few bucks!

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
mfabien said:
UPS charge is part of the deal paid to SVS. As I said, I expect Canadian Customs as the only additional charge. I will be back next week to tell what extra I had to pay.
Are you sure?

Here is a posting of what one guy paid for his
SVS 16-46PC+ two weeks ago.

Shipping US$50.80
Brokerage C$53.50
GST & PST 15% of purchase price converted to C$ (this will vary slightly)
Package delivered in Toronto 3 days after shipping from SVS
Didn't seem like he paid any disbursement fees which UPS sometimes charges

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
spider_duggan said:
mfabien, please do post the price that you end up paying, or PM my account, or e-mail spider_duggan@hotmail.com. It's one of the biggest factors that I'm considering, since I really would like the SVS sub.

I appreciate your input thus far and am going to contact SVS about sub placement, and subs that would work with my room size. Damn taxes and duties!
Will do. Next Monday if it arrives then.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I still think it's likely that your purchase will come to less than the $1313 that I listed. That's just the worst case scenario I could come up with. I find that when it comes to getting something shipped it is way better to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Shipping weight is 87 lbs. Hope the UPS guy will help bring it downstairs...for a few bucks!
What a monster of a sub. Good luck with it.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
warpdrive said:
Are you sure?

Here is a posting of what one guy paid for his
SVS 16-46PC+ two weeks ago.
Didn't seem like he paid any disbursement fees which UPS sometimes charges
Not reproduced here is your quote: "GST & PST 15% of purchase price converted to C$..."

Do not agree.

As a long time importer of products from overseas, I can tell you that I have never paid GST or QST on such products. However duties (on imported products) and my broker's fees are subject to both taxes.

Last edited:
Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Maybe Quebec is different after all then. In Ontario if we import anything from the states we are responsible for GST and PST on the purchase price once it has been converted into CDN dollars. I've had to pay some pretty hefty fees to the UPS guy before. Once on a birthday gift! After that I told all my relatives in the states to not bother getting me gifts, I couldn't afford them. The only break I am aware of is that if the item is a gift you can have the sender write "GIFT" on the package and the first $60 is tax exempt. You guys over there in Quebec are getting away cheap if you don't have to pay tax like the rest of us on imports, but it wouldn't be the first law to favour Quebec. ;) (I enjoy taking a good-natured cheap shot or two at our neighbor province, the preceding sentence was a joke and in no way reflects the feelings of the author)

Last edited:
HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
spider_duggan said:
I know you've heard this question a million times...but I'd love to hear your opinions and maybe see some tests on some of these subs!
I'm shopping around for a sub. I have Klipsch rf-15 fronts and an onkyo tx-sr602 85 watts/ch. The playing room is about 20ft by 12ft, with a large opening in to a dinning area. My listening position is 15ft from the speakers.

I'd really like to get the SVS PCi 25-31 or 20-39, but I live in Canada and don't know if I want to pay duty, taxes, and shipping. Might cost nearly $1000 CDN. Ouch!
What about Paradigm?

I have a PDR-10 which I am very satisfied with, a little underpowed for my needs now since I moved into my new house and my Living room has double to 24' x 20'.

Although I have not listened to them, I think you can pick up a PS1000 for about $700 CDN and a PW2200 for about $1100 CDN.

Maybe someone can comment on those two subs?

Shipping from the states is brutal, IMHO. We're not lucky like our neighbors south of the border...

Food for thought.

Good Luck,

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
On second thought, I should have imported the sub under my Company name...

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
HookedOnSound said:
What about Paradigm?

I have a PDR-10 which I am very satisfied with, a little underpowed for my needs now since I moved into my new house and my Living room has double to 24' x 20'.

Although I have not listened to them, I think you can pick up a PS1000 for about $700 CDN...
Thanks for the advice, thats two votes for paradigm and I didn't even consider them until this thread. I'm looking at the PS 1000 at $700, but its 200wattRMS/750 peak compared with a fantastic deal I can get on the Infinity.
Infinity PS-12, 300 watt, CHEAP! confirmed at $380CDN...It's 300 watt RMS
http://www.infinitysystems.com/home...spx?prod=PS12BK

Has anyone got an opinion about the Infinity? I'm going to demo all the subs I can in a few weeks. I can't demo the HSU sub and it would cost about the same as the PS 100 after shipping. SVS is getting to be to much when i can get a 300 watt at $380 instead of $1000 (shp/duties/tax)

And how about the Klipsch RW-10 :rolleyes: , is it worth the extra $100. Why is it $800 with such a light box and only 260 watt RMS? It weights nearly 30lbs less then some of the subs in a comparable price ranges! That makes me wonder about the quality of the construction.

Regards,
Dan

spider_duggan

spider_duggan

Junior Audioholic
And i almost forgot the best part of my afternoon. I have an AVIA DVD on the way from amazon.ca and will be getting an SPL meter from Rack-and-shack in a few days. I don't know what I'm doing witht he thing, but it sounds easy enough to use. Has anyone hear used the correction tables for low frequency reponse on the SPL meter?
I found these on AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=505236

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
spider_duggan said:
mfabien, please do post the price that you end up paying, or PM my account, or e-mail spider_duggan@hotmail.com. It's one of the biggest factors that I'm considering, since I really would like the SVS sub.

I appreciate your input thus far and am going to contact SVS about sub placement, and subs that would work with my room size. Damn taxes and duties!
Paid $177 to USP plus $13 tip to help me bring the 87 lbs packaged sub to the basement. With the tip, this brings the estimated CDN amount to 1,161.05.

First impressions...

Found the appropriate placement by playing Music and a couple of movie excerpts. But will use the afternoon to calibrate.

But first impression is very good for music and impressive for LFE for movies and HD programs. Also tested a SD music concert and was quite impressed.

Now to balance the system. Oh, BTW, at this point male voices remain in the Center channel and are not going to the sub (as I was afraid of). The fixed crossover of my Yamaha receiver is at 90 Hz and that seems to be OK...again, first impressions.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Not reproduced here is your quote: "GST & PST 15% of purchase price converted to C$..."

Do not agree.

As a long time importer of products from overseas, I can tell you that I have never paid GST or QST on such products. However duties (on imported products) and my broker's fees are subject to both taxes.
Well, it's different for Quebec then.....

I've paid GST and PST on the TOTAL purchase value (including State Taxes) for EVERY purchase imported into Ontario. Also, on items coming through the border when I've crossed by car and plane. It may be different for other provinces, but that should be taken into account for anybody else considering ordering from SVS.

The Total for Me as always been
- Price of item plus
- shipping plus
- any applicable duty (usually zero)
- GST/PST on total purchase price after converted to CAD$ plus
- Any brokerage fees/disbursement fees

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Please post some follow up conclusions of this sub. I'd like to hear some opinions once you really get to give it a whirl. I guess the shipping wasn't too too bad, but enough to show how bad we get it up here with regards to importing.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
Please post some follow up conclusions of this sub. I'd like to hear some opinions once you really get to give it a whirl. I guess the shipping wasn't too too bad, but enough to show how bad we get it up here with regards to importing.
I will calibrate this PM and listen to Dian Krall's "Live in Paris" fo rmusic in DTS and then playback movie Deeds.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Takeereasy, I can stand it no longer.....what did the five fingers say to the face?.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis