K

kagenx

Audiophyte
Hi all,

Newbie here, a friend has given me a Yamaha V667 amplifier with 2 dali concept 6 speakers. They are all working well.
I have a really old Boston Acoustic DT 6000 surround sound system. Is it ok to plug the active subwoofer only from the BA to the amplifier using a RCA male to 2 RCA male cable to turn it into a 2.1? Is it worth the extra bass?

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The manual I found wasn't tons of help, this is one of the HTIB subs that contains all the amps for the speakers, too but probably the sub can function on it's own. Hopefully the master volume control on the Yamaha will be able to vary volume on the sub. Setting level initially might take some experimentation too. Probably can use a single rca cord from the avr's sub pre-out since it's already a mono signal, tho. It's a very small sub (6.5" driver) so I wouldn't expect much from it but no spec that I could find....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Careful with that setup. That sub works like some Bose modules and does not have an LFE input. That receiver has limited output abilities when connecting the analog audio outputs. What kind of devices are you connecting to the Yamaha?

K

kagenx

Audiophyte
Careful with that setup. That sub works like some Bose modules and does not have an LFE input. That receiver has limited output abilities when connecting the analog audio outputs. What kind of devices are you connecting to the Yamaha?
At the moment only the 2 Dali 6 concept speakers to it.
Here the picture of the sub behind. https://www.carousell.sg/p/boston-acoustic-6000-speaker-117872535/
No there is no LFE, I was just thinking of plugging the rca cable from avr to the audio in using y rca cable as a stand along sub. I wasn't too sure if it can act as a stand alone sub or blow up anything. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still can't see all the labeling on the rear of the sub. One way to find out....and start with gain/volume set low! :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That sub is designed to take in a full signal via coaxial digital or analog inputs. The Yamaha will not output signals from HDMI connected devices to the analog outputs. You might try a cable from one of the sub pre outs on the Yamaha to the dolby digital input on the sub. You aren’t hooking speakers to the sub’s speaker terminals so nothing lost there by just sending LFE to sub. Just do it at low volume and abort if something starts smoking.:D If connecting analog devices to the Yamaha, you can use the analog outs to the sub’s analog input.
62DAB733-67AF-4E12-B212-1C835AA734BE.jpeg
03850057-0330-4299-B78C-975F2D594113.jpeg

2B3AF642-45DF-4295-9460-BA0AA2C5FB2F.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That sub is designed to take in a full signal via coaxial digital or analog inputs. The Yamaha will not output signals from HDMI connected devices to the analog outputs. You might try a cable from one of the sub pre outs on the Yamaha to the dolby digital input on the sub. You aren’t hooking speakers to the sub’s speaker terminals so nothing lost there by just sending LFE to sub. Just do it at low volume and abort if something starts smoking.:D If connecting analog devices to the Yamaha, you can use the analog outs to the sub’s analog input.
View attachment 49474View attachment 49475
View attachment 49476
The sub pre-out is a simple analog signal that should work fine with an analog input on the sub (depending perhaps on how that HTIB setup worked that I couldn't see in the manual). Why wouldn't the sub pre-out work on the audio input on the sub particularly you think?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Actually, I think it will work. That sub has it’s own decoder and should be fine if it’s just getting .1 instead of a 5.1 signal, but you never know with some of this stuff.:confused:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Actually, I think it will work. That sub has it’s own decoder and should be fine if it’s just getting .1 instead of a 5.1 signal, but you never know with some of this stuff.:confused:
But what about if it starts smoking? :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It is hard to know if that will work or not. The control electronics were in the center channel, and that is where you aimed the remote to change volume and all functions. So it remains to be seen if it will work without the original center channel.

I doubt it will smoke, or anything alarming happen, but I think there is a good chance, it will just not work. It won't be very powerful as the power supply is only 12 volts. Assuming 4 ohm speakers and usual losses, the max power to any speaker would be around 30 watts. If the speakers are 8 ohm, about 15 watts.

K

kagenx

Audiophyte
Hi all,

Thanks you for your time and help. Tested it last night and no it doesn't work. :(
On the brighter side, no smoke or explosion.

K

kagenx

Audiophyte
View attachment 49474View attachment 49475
View attachment 49476
I didn't try the DVD in but I did try the sub out to audio in and also the vrc in. No sound from sub.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all,

Thanks you for your time and help. Tested it last night and no it doesn't work. :(
On the brighter side, no smoke or explosion.
The instructions are very vague. However I was able to elicit that the control electronics are located in the center channel speaker, which you did not mention you had.
I assume that is connected via that DIN plug marked control. That makes sense as the center would be line of sight to the TV and the sub could be tucked away.

Further I did find out the unit is useless without out the remote. I therefore concluded that unit would be very unlikely to work apart from the complete package, especially the center and remote.

So you need to look for a standalone powered sub.

K

kagenx

Audiophyte
The instructions are very vague. However I was able to elicit that the control electronics are located in the center channel speaker, which you did not mention you had.
I assume that is connected via that DIN plug marked control. That makes sense as the center would be line of sight to the TV and the sub could be tucked away.

Further I did find out the unit is useless without out the remote. I therefore concluded that unit would be very unlikely to work apart from the complete package, especially the center and remote.

So you need to look for a standalone powered sub.
Thanks, do you recommend any sub? I don't have a big budget.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Assumed all the pieces were there. Kinda’ out of luck without all the works.:confused:

K

kagenx

Audiophyte
About $300-$500 aus dollar.

I do have all the speakers, but just wanted to add the sub. I guess I can try add in the centre piece where the control is and try. Was hoping the stand alone sub would work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis