P

Paul a

Audiophyte
Hey guys got a question about my subwoofer and hopefully somebody can help or at least point me in the right direction. I've got a 15 paradigm reference and when I turn it on it make a continuous popping sound sometimes it will slow down and catch other times it just keeps popping and I have to shut it off . If I leave it for a couple of days it will work just fine and it always sounds great when it works . So I guess I'm wondering if it's repairable and if so can I do it myself or where would I take it to get it fixed . And it's about 8 years old .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your amp sounds like it's on the way out, hopefully something simple like a failing capacitor. You could take the amp off the sub and bring it/send it to an audio electronics repair shop. Might want to indicate where you are or even ask Paradigm if they have a particular recommendation....

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
First off, change your wiring to the sub to be sure it's not a short in your wires!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys got a question about my subwoofer and hopefully somebody can help or at least point me in the right direction. I've got a 15 paradigm reference and when I turn it on it make a continuous popping sound sometimes it will slow down and catch other times it just keeps popping and I have to shut it off . If I leave it for a couple of days it will work just fine and it always sounds great when it works . So I guess I'm wondering if it's repairable and if so can I do it myself or where would I take it to get it fixed . And it's about 8 years old .
Unfortunately this is a common problem with the switching power supplies of sub amps. These are by far the most unreliable item in the audio chain. Worse these units are just plain miserable to work on and try to fix, so I do not usually recommend service.

If you like the sub and a replacement amp is available that is an option. Otherwise it is new sub time.

By the way, do not use that sub any more. That type of malfunction in those units is a definite fire hazard, and members have posted some dramatic pictures over the years.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis