subwoofer placement

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
My house was built in '37. My living room still has the floor heater with the metal grill over it. The heater unit isn't functional of course as my house now has central heating. So my question...
If I pull out the not functional heater unit, the dimensions of this hole in the floor are perfect for either and outlaw or a Hsu VTF 2. I want to fabricate a wooden box that will have a more rigid floor and walls then the sheet metal that is in there now.. It also wouldn't be to hard to do an structural mods to the box as the house has a raised foundation and it isn't hard to get under the house.
Acoustically will it hurt the sub to be in this kind of structure??
Room is 24' x 13' x 8' the heater is on the left side wall approximately 7 feet back from the front wall. Due to dimensions I couldn't go much bigger then the Outlaw or VTF 2, but seeing as my current infinity 10" sub is too loud for my wife... I don't think I could get away with bigger.

Thanks
-Chris

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Little more research looks like I can get away with a SVS PB-1000 as well

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Placing a sub that wasn't designed to be put into another enclosure is a mixed bag and yes it will affect performance as well as potentially not allow for cooling of the amp if that isn't also accounted for. I'd likely opt for a sealed sub, which narrows your choices a bit, but one of the front ported choices might work so that the port and the driver are facing the opening, but in most cases that means setting it on its side and having the amp facing down which would be bad for cooling. So while I think it could be made to work, it might not yield the best results. A passive sub with an external amp that could be mounted separate from the enclosure might work as well. I believe NHT and a couple of other manufacturers make "in wall" subs for this exact use as well.

You might just consider looking into building an infinite baffle sub that works in that space as it will have less issues than dropping a sub into that location and likely be easier. You'd basically be fabricating the enclosure below and dropping a driver in (one designed for infinite baffle use) with a separate amp. If you can fit one of those subs in there, then you have enough room to do one of these.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
I just did some research and while the custom infinite baffle subs look awesome, and the custom kits all look like they would be fun to try... they don't look like they will give me the bang for the buck that I'm going to get from the SVS or Outlaw.
You mentioned a sub with a from facing driver and port... the SVS fits that description. What if in the box I install 4 6 inch wooden feet with rubber washers on top, and in the middle I cut a hole and install a 140mm pc fan to pull air out of the box. I set the sub down in the the box with the driver and port facing up and it lowers down on the the rubber washers, the 6 inches giving the clearance I need for the wires, and the PC fan pulling heat off the amp...

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
J_Garcia...
Hey your local! I live in Salinas. Small world I was I was just up in your area today..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I think it might be harder to get the same bang for the buck (extension and output) as the built subs you're looking at. As for the placing it this way, I'd contact the respective manufacturers to see what they think about it and/or would recommend. Here's an additional article here on AH that might be of use:

Subwoofer Placement Tips for Cabinetry Installations | Audioholics

I didn't notice you're local, but that's cool :) I've met a few other locals from here too. Velodyne is in Morgan Hill too, so you might consider contacting them as well.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Damn I may just have to go without hiding it in the floor...
I didn't know Velodyne was in Morgan Hill. Vandersteen's are made about 2 and a half hours south of here in Hanford.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Oh and thanks for the link about the cabinet placement. It pretty much hit the nail on the head for my situation and gave me good things to do if I do try to install the sub down there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis