Subwoofer placement

kurtkrum

kurtkrum

Audioholic Intern
I' ve been experimenting with subwoofer placement and doing measurements with REW. I have an odd shaped room with furniture placed in it so my options were limited. A diagram of my room and some pics is here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1L9x314fCfxW7Svsqhp8393OOunI7p-c3

I am down to two possible placements:
Scenario 1 - Both subs in the front left and right corners of the room.
Scenario 2 - The left sub in the front left corner and the right sub half way down the right wall.

The other placements in varios part of the room were measured and they didn't look good.

It looks like scenario 2 is a better result, but scenario 1 looks better in the room. Do you guys think I can add some EQ and stick with scenario 1 or fundmentally should I make scenario 2 work because the measurements might be better?

Take a look at my graphs attached - I added no effects to the subs...like no EQ or anything else...so these measurements are uncorrected.

Attachments

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I would suggest that you use No. 1 position and start by trimming frequencies from 20 to 40Hz at the beginning, and go on from there.

EQing should always be aimed at trimming rather than boosting levels. Too much boosting can destroy speakers.

kurtkrum

kurtkrum

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the feedback!

By the way, in each of the graphs, the green line is left sub, the red line is right sub, and the black line is both subs.

VoidX

VoidX

Audioholic Intern
It looks like scenario 2 is a better result, but scenario 1 looks better in the room. Do you guys think I can add some EQ and stick with scenario 1 or fundmentally should I make scenario 2 work because the measurements might be better?
I also suggest the first. It always has one sub with enogh power to compensate the dip of the other, which is a very easy case for Audyssey to fix. I'd try a position with one sub around the center, and the other in a fitting corner. This cancels an entire antinode and its harmonics, and should give snappier bass on some frequencies (even if the spectrum looks worse - as any waves propagating to the side walls will cancel out -, the impulse won't), while the other sub just fixes its valleys.

kurtkrum

kurtkrum

Audioholic Intern
I also suggest the first. It always has one sub with enogh power to compensate the dip of the other, which is a very easy case for Audyssey to fix. I'd try a position with one sub around the center, and the other in a fitting corner. This cancels an entire antinode and its harmonics, and should give snappier bass on some frequencies (even if the spectrum looks worse - as any waves propagating to the side walls will cancel out -, the impulse won't), while the other sub just fixes its valleys.
I'm going to try this when I'm back in town next weekend. Which sub should I move more central, the one next to a wall or the one next to the railing?

Or maybe I will try and measure both scenarios.

Thank you!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis