Subwoofer placement

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Bill got his new sub!!!

Bill... get that sub out of the closet...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I'm bringing this out here so Bill gets lots of help. He took our advice and got a bigger sub than he wanted so I'd like to help him get it dialed in. This is he and I in a pm.
Congratulations on the new sub! I saw you received it this morning!
Yes. Quite powerfull... clean circuit.
i need a new seat For it, close to tv. for that i need to throw this furniture i have, and take other.
its booming. I think my coach is in a very bad aqustic spot and the back wall that i almost touch it with my head is destroying the bass.

this bass has tons of adjustments. if you like to play.
I think we all knew bill was gonna be hard to please, lol.

Okay, we're all still going to recommend you try the sub crawl. There could even be a good spot on the other side of the room. You don't have to have a sub next to your tv and speakers. Sometimes even a different area can work. You won't know until you do the crawl tho... It might work now that you actually have a subwoofer!

Another thing too. Yes, that's a powerful sub so you might have to put a little effort into setting it up properly. Run whatever room correction you have and follow the instructions closely. If the program has you adjust the gain on the back of the sub, do that, and once it's at the right level don't touch that knob again! Always adjust with your AVR.

You do all that and you have a fighting chance for some good sound now. If you just brought it home, plugged it in and didn't do any setup it is not going to sound right.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
No. İts heavy and i dont know how to lift it. it has no place to hold it.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Furniture sliders for moving around the carpets areas. Strong back to place it in the MLP.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Furniture sliders for moving around the carpets areas. Strong back to place it in the MLP.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
A friend and a bottle of good Ouzo goes a long way! Or a 6 pack of beer. :)

That said, I've moved my 105# (48kg) subs quite a bit, by myself. Its not fun... but its a good workout! :D

And not to beat the horse too much... But placing the subwoofer at your listening position, then crawing around with your ear where the Sub Driver would be... The Sub Crawl... is a surprisingly effective technique. Yes it is a bit crude, but the magic of acoustics is that when you hear the sub sounding good, you can move the Sub to that location... and that is what you will hear at your LP!
Just turn off or unplug your speakers and play a song like Daft Punks Get Lucky. It has a very good, repetitive bass line that will allow you to move around your room and listen for the changes in Bass Response.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You do realize that your last post kind of makes your very first post in this thread look untrue. You've never really tried a sub crawl, have you? You're just being difficult, aren't you?! :p

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I destroyed my knees the previous time. İ think i tried... :cool:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I destroyed my knees the previous time. İ think i tried... :cool:
Destroyed your knees? How old are you? Do you have some physical limitations that prevent you from crawling on all fours? We don't want you blowing out a hip or anything!

You can always walk to different spots in the room and just crouch down. The goal is not to humiliate you or destroy your knees, it's to get your ears at roughly the same level the subwoofer would be.

You've been coming here with bass issues for the last couple of months now repeatedly asking us the same questions while also dismissing the most basic of advice we can give you. You're going to have to put a little more effort into this or just resign yourself to sub-par bass and be done with it. You're going to have to make some compromises and do a little bit of work if you want to get anywhere.

I told you it is going to take some time and effort to dial it in properly if you really want it to sound good. I can't shake the feeling that you just stuck it where you want it, ran room correction and stopped there...

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Destroyed your knees? How old are you? Do you have some physical limitations that prevent you from crawling on all fours? We don't want you blowing out a hip or anything!

You can always walk to different spots in the room and just crouch down. The goal is not to humiliate you or destroy your knees, it's to get your ears at roughly the same level the subwoofer would be.

You've been coming here with bass issues for the last couple of months now repeatedly asking us the same questions while also dismissing the most basic of advice we can give you. You're going to have to put a little more effort into this or just resign yourself to sub-par bass and be done with it. You're going to have to make some compromises and do a little bit of work if you want to get anywhere.

I told you it is going to take some time and effort to dial it in properly if you really want it to sound good. I can't shake the feeling that you just stuck it where you want it, ran room correction and stopped there...
Wow. This is coming from one of the most helpful and patient people I have ever had the pleasure of communicating with on audio forums.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Wow. This is coming from one of the most helpful and patient people I have ever had the pleasure of communicating with on audio forums.
I did the things he said me to. İ wanted to take a different subwoofer that fits the room better, and i followed his advice.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did the things he said me to. İ wanted to take a different subwoofer that fits the room better, and i followed his advice.
It's the same advice everyone has been giving you. Any sub takes a little bit of effort to really dial it in. Even the one you replaced. Positioning was part of the problem from the start and we told you that. You cannot just pick a spot you like and expect a subwoofer to work there. Sometimes you get lucky, but not usually. Your room tells you where a sub is going to work best, not the other way around.

As I see it, you have solved half of the problem by getting a proper subwoofer. To get it the rest of the way you're going to have put in at least a little bit of effort on your end. I just want to see you happy with your system and your replies frustrate me because you genuinely seem to want good sound, but you absolutely hate audio gear and it's obvious you're rejecting most of our advice. You're going to have to live with so-so sound or you're going to have to embrace the process instead of fighting it. There aren't any workaround or shortcuts. Every time you ask me a question about your subwoofer my first reply will be to ask you if you did a sub crawl.

You have some homework to do! Next time I see you I want a full report of your findings from doing a real sub crawl- with pics! Ha!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And no, no you didn't. You didn't even try.
Crawling never worked for me. Is it any other alternative?
i need a new seat For it, close to tv. for that i need to throw this furniture i have, and take other.
its booming.
There is no place close to the tv. No place behind couch. There are places to put but a bit ugly for the room
and you walk on your knees? :eek:
Do any of those replies read like someone who's really trying? I see a mixture of complaining and threats of throwing your furniture out!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis