Subwoofer only works during EQ phase.

• Thread starter Inexorabletruth
  • Start date
I

Inexorabletruth

Audiophyte
My setup is pretty straightforward, and not exactly cutting edge, so I don't get why I'm having this issue:
Reciever: ONKYO TX-NR676
Speakers (2 Bookshelves only): Polk T15
Subwoofer: Klipsch R-120SW

The receiver has a port upfront where you can plug in a PZM mic and it'll set up the EQ for you. During this time, it tests all channels, including the amp, and then plays a 5 second audio sample.

All that sounds great. But...

The instant it goes back to whatever I was listening to before the set-up, the subwoofer goes silent.

It's still on, and still kicks when I test the cable... Just the receiver quits sending a signal to it.

The sub never gave me this problem until I made one change:
I routed sound back up to the TV so I could plug a couple of gamer headphones to the TV's RCA out ports, but I have no idea how that would cause the sub to only work during EQ.

Anyone wanna weigh in?

I

Inexorabletruth

Audiophyte
Are your speakers set to large or small?
I think small?

While I tried figuring out how to know for sure, the sub started working. But then, the headphones quit working.

And when I tried to fix it, both quit working.

I got the sub working again, but I have no idea how. I know when I started, option 2 (Speakers) was greyed out and inaccessible. But now it's accessible. But, again, my headphones don't work now, which I get that audio from the TV, because I can't make Zone 2 work. So that means no more audio is feeding into the TV.

I assume big would look like towers. I'm so sorry. Home theater got too smart for me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think small?

While I tried figuring out how to know for sure, the sub started working. But then, the headphones quit working.

And when I tried to fix it, both quit working.

I got the sub working again, but I have no idea how. I know when I started, option 2 (Speakers) was greyed out and inaccessible. But now it's accessible. But, again, my headphones don't work now, which I get that audio from the TV, because I can't make Zone 2 work. So that means no more audio is feeding into the TV.

I assume big would look like towers. I'm so sorry. Home theater got too smart for me.
If they're set to large it bypasses bass management and your sub might not get a signal at all. Room correction on a lot of avrs automatically sets speakers to large if they're even slightly bass capable. Small is where they should be set when using a sub.

How do you have everything hooked up? Are you using ARC? That can be buggy. I don't like using my TV as a source for that reason. I plug everything into my avr and basically just use my TV as a monitor

I

Inexorabletruth

Audiophyte
Ok... I just checked that and saw that ARC was disabled.

Fun fact... I just enabled it and everything started working at once, which had upset my neighbors, because I had forgot Is turned everything to max. But we're cool. I'm playing Corelli: Concerto Grosso in D. So, it's loud at... But also soothing.

Thank you all for your help!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis