Subwoofer line booster?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
btw, how do you like how I adjusted the height of the shelf posts to accommodate the speakers?
That looks like a good workaround.

Speakers also look to be way too close together, which means stereo imaging is gonna suffer.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
No dude. I am sitting like 4-5 feet back! Plus, there is nowhere else. You make due sometimes!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Ideally you really want the tweeters to be at ear level, so the closer you can get to that the better.
I called Axiom today to make sure that it is fine to turn them upside down(as in: are the xovers velcroed to the bottom for example). They said, everything is very solid inside. I will let you know in a little while how they sound upside down.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I called Axiom today to make sure that it is fine to turn them upside down(as in: are the xovers velcroed to the bottom for example). They said, everything is very solid inside. I will let you know in a little while how they sound upside down.
They really need to be at ear level. Between that and how close together they are there's no way you're getting a proper image.

The good news is, if you work on and manage proper placement you'll feel like you got a major upgrade.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I know about "proper" image! Give me a break on that! My friggin' desk is up against the wall. I have them where I have them! This is system number 3 of 4 systems in my brand new mobile home. I can (and have) flipped them upside down, but I am NOT going to move them out! There is no out! So stop. Thx.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The sound is vastly improved upside down. Thx for mentioning that NINaudio. Imaging has improved (a lot!) with even more toe out. The Denon weighs a lot more than the H/K. The top shelf has 1" x 2" pine cut to length left to right, so all the weight is on the posts. Man, huge diff! Now I can rock out while I do daily paperwork for my job.

Attachments

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
In case anyone was wondering, I anchored the shelf to a stud. Otherwise, it'd be a tad precarious.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Update: I went to hook up the Denon to the line out, which goes to my FM transmitter (so I can listen to Fox News on headphones outside, etc) and it "y"s to an extra bedroom with exercise equipment that has a bookshelf system. Only to discover that it did not have a line out! Or at least one that I could figure out. It has a zone 2 output, but I couldn't get a signal from it. Anyways, back to square one??!? I checked Craigslist one more time for a 2 channel amp. "No chance", I thought. I have looked a million times and there was as far as I could tell, no 2 channel amp has a sub out. BUT!!! Viola! I could not believe my eyes. I found a 2 channel Pioneer SX-10AE with a sub out and line outs five miles north of me. Brand new, it said. Googled it, and yep, it had everything. Built in 2017, but discontinued. 5 of them are on ebay at the moment from a seller for $379. So I got it for $135 and yep, it was new. Remote, antenna and manual still factory sealed. Now, it was a bit of a crap shoot, as the Hamon Kardon had a weak sub output and I could run into that with this unit. Nope! Sub is loud and comes on even at real low levels. I am supper giddy I found it. I already sold the Denon. Plus, the Pioneer weighs about 1/2 of what the Denon weighs. Up on that top shelf, that makes a diff. H/T amps have way more bells and whistles than what I needed for this simplified system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is it a full range sub pre-out or one with bass management, tho? Denon pre-outs start with the 3xxx series....

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
That means a full range signal?
Never knew there was such a thing! I have only ever plugged a subwoofer into a subwoofer output. If it is a full-range signal, or if some unit's sub outs are low freqs and others are full-range, it is something I was never aware of.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Playing "The Commitments" great soundtrack. I have played it frequently since the 90's. Well, "Chain of Fools" comes on and I am hearing so many new sounds. Holy buckets. Big improvement.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never knew there was such a thing! I have only ever plugged a subwoofer into a subwoofer output. If it is a full-range signal, or if some unit's sub outs are low freqs and others are full-range, it is something I was never aware of.
An avr has bass management, for example, and will provide an appropriate output on the sub pre-out; i.e. it will pass the LFE signal primarily if present, and if using crossovers will add bass from other channels and route that through the sub as well as limiting the range sent to the speakers via settable crossover (or even still send a full range to speakers with a double bass type setting). Many 2ch integrated amps with a pre-out are just a full range summed bass signal, with no crossover for the speakers. Some have the sub signal limited at a certain frequency, with no high pass filter for the speakers. Some may offer bass management, but they're in the minority.

Your Pioneer SX10AE, showing a list price of $150 on the Pioneer site, and see no indication of anything but a full range signal on the sub pre-out in the specs in the "instructions" available there.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
It is still available from Pioneer? I thought it was discontinued. Amazon and Crutchfield both do not have it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis