Subwoofer line booster?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
My computer amp is a Harmon/Kardon AVR 1700 (use as 2 channel), Axiom 2-way bookshelf speakers and a Klipsch KSW-10 floor-firing 10" sub. Is there a device that will boost the sub out from the Harmon/Kardon? I am not getting enough for my liking out of the Klipsch. The Klipsch will stay on even with the music at low volume, but I had an 8" Yamaha that would go ahead and go inactive with low volume. That was frustrating. The Klispch is obviously set to "auto" with volume up to max. Funny, the Yamaha had enough volume at normal listening levels, but when it went inactive, that was frustrating. Otherwise, I would just keep using the Yamaha.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Assuming you are using the sub out RCA, just get a RCA Y cable to send signal to both the left and right RCA input of the sub. This should give you enough voltage gain to trigger the sub on. I do this on my HSU subs.

RCA Y cable needs to be: One female to two Male Costs about $10

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I did go into the Harmon/Kardon settings and I turned the sub out to max. I did this when the Yamaha was hooked up. Now with the Klipsch, it at least stays on, but not loud enough.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Assuming you are using the sub out RCA, just get a RCA Y cable to send signal to both the left and right RCA input of the sub. This should give you enough voltage gain to trigger the sub on. I do this on my HSU subs.
I did! I tried that and it only increased the volume slightly. So currently, it has a very decent (Monster) mono line with a monster "Y" splitter at the sub. Again... it does stay triggered on. Now my issue is not enough subwoofer volume.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I did go into the settings and I turned the sub out to max. I did this with the Yamaha. Now with the Klipsch, it at least stays on, but not loud enough.
Oh it’s triggering on in the auto mode. That’s all I was addressing. :)

Volume of the sub is usually a combination of sub gain (volume) knob plus subwoofer +/- dB adjustment in the AVR speaker settings.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Oh it’s triggering on in the auto mode. That’s all I was addressing. :)

Volume of the sub is usually a combination of sub gain (volume) knob plus subwoofer +/- dB adjustment in the AVR speaker settings.
Yep. And those h/k settings are at max. So, I am hoping there is a device.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I need a different amp with better output. I just hooked it up to the HSU and it barely triggered it. Crap.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
And the gain(volume) on the sub speaker itself is turned up?
Do you have the option to "trim" down the other speakers?

So, trim those down to better match the sub output, and then the volume knob will be at a higher relative position to get the same overall output before you attenuated the mains.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I do not recall that as a setting. The settings were pretty basic. Sub out level, bass/treb, that sort of thing. You can adjust settings for each input. I only used two inputs, TV and computer. The settings were on-screen. But... my buddy at work brought me an old (very old) Denon AVR-2106 that I am using right now. I set it up just to try it and the sub just fires up like nobody's business. So, it was the h/k just has a very low sub output. So, I will be buying this Denon.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The 10" Klipsch was his too. He just told me $125 for the Denon and the Klipsch. I got a bargain. This is now a great sounding system. The Axiom speakers I got in a trade a couple years ago for some Klipsch 3.1's I think they were. I have the Axiom's toe'd out just a tad as you can see in the photo. I think it gives better imaging sitting right in front there.
119784618_10219922509025365_8565856441802333040_o.jpg

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
The 10" Klipsch was his too. He just told me $125 for the Denon and the Klipsch. I got a bargain. This is now a great sounding system. The Axiom speakers I got in a trade a couple years ago for some Klipsch 3.1's I think they were. I have the Axiom's toe'd out just a tad as you can see in the photo. I think it gives better imaging sitting right in front there. View attachment 39868
Not gonna lie, that seems like it is very far from being even close to an ideal placement for a speaker. How high above you are those tweeters? How far away are you sitting?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Ha. It sounds great. Maybe sitting 5 and 1/2 ft back. The sub is at my feet. The photo shows the h/k above, but the Denon will go there. Tweeters are 18-20 inches above my head. I could put them upside down. Never thought of that! What do you think of that idea? They'd then be 5 or 6 inches above ear-level.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
btw, how do you like how I adjusted the height of the shelf posts to accommodate the speakers?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Ideally you really want the tweeters to be at ear level, so the closer you can get to that the better.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I do not recall that as a setting. The settings were pretty basic. Sub out level, bass/treb, that sort of thing. You can adjust settings for each input. I only used two inputs, TV and computer. The settings were on-screen. But... my buddy at work brought me an old (very old) Denon AVR-2106 that I am using right now. I set it up just to try it and the sub just fires up like nobody's business. So, it was the h/k just has a very low sub output. So, I will be buying this Denon.
Or, review post #13 and read the manual......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis