Subwoofer Level low

B

Borabis

Enthusiast
only using 3 of the positions. have one recliner in the room,like i mentioned this is just a temporary setup for a month or so.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
only using 3 of the positions. have one recliner in the room,like i mentioned this is just a temporary setup for a month or so.
Usually best to use all the mic positions. How are you positioning the mic? With a tripod, cardboard stand, at ear height? I do wonder if your unit has a different implementation of Audyssey than mine with the variation in speaker levels set.

B

Borabis

Enthusiast
I'm using a cardboard stand that comes with the denon (great little idea) and placing it on the recliners seat at ear height. 1st placement is in the center of the recliner seat and the other two are just moved 3 inches or so in either direction for the other two placements.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
besides the subwoofer going from a +5 to -5 which i thought would happen when increasing the sub gain from 50% to 70% .it appears that the only other real change came from the center channel going from -10 to -8.5. The receiver seems to be working fine ,hopefully it will continue to. Could be very well i did something wrong during the first calibration.

I want to thank all of you for your help it was greatly appreciated.
Those results do seem a little odd, if you are sitting 7-8 ft. Are the receiver and subwoofer bought brand new, used, or refurbished.

You may want to try the following:

1. Do a factory reset to make sure you have not accidentally messed some settings up.
2. As others suggested, crank the sub volume up, 2 O'clock sounds reasonable if you tried 12:00 already.
3. Toe in your L/R to aim at your main sitting position.
4. Read the Audyssey instruction carefully.
5. Re-run Audyssey, make sure the mic is a few inches above the seat back if it is high back and do it for all 8 positions. It is important to follow the instructions 100%, no sort cuts.

I agree Audyssey XT may not be 100% accurate on setting the distance and levels, but in general, it should be very close, especially the levels.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
It's important to use multiple positions even if you're the only one in the room. Audyssey doesn't average out positions, it only makes corrections based on response errors that show up across MULTIPLE positions. For example, boundary gain is likely to be a problem in multiple seats, whereas a small peak or null due to a reflection off a seat back or off axis position will be ignored.

If the mic is only placed in one area, or a small area no more than 3 inches s as you said, it's probably making corrections that aren't necessary.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It's important to use multiple positions even if you're the only one in the room. Audyssey doesn't average out positions, it only makes corrections based on response errors that show up across MULTIPLE positions. For example, boundary gain is likely to be a problem in multiple seats, whereas a small peak or null due to a reflection off a seat back or off axis position will be ignored.
I fully agree. Unfortunately that's an important point that even some well recognized AVSF members misunderstood, to the point some even recommended one position, or several but within a couple inches together for better results, only to eventaully really following Audyssey's or D&M's instructions would give better results.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
SPL meters are not very good audio tools in the larger sense, if you really want to measure get a measurement mic (a usb mic like the Dayton UMM-6 or the miniDSP Umik-1). It can perform as an spl meter and so much more....for not a significant additional amount of money (assuming you have a pc that can run software like RoomEQ Wizard, aka REW).
Even with a umik, you can't set a subwoofer by equal spl alone because of the limited bandwidth pink noise, to properly set it, you'd need to use the RTA and adjust it for equal in band gain (if using internal pink noise, otherwise +10dB) this can be approximated with a C weighted spl meter by setting it at about 3-4dB lower than the speakers.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Those results do seem a little odd, if you are sitting 7-8 ft. Are the receiver and subwoofer bought brand new, used, or refurbished.

You may want to try the following:

1. Do a factory reset to make sure you have not accidentally messed some settings up.
2. As others suggested, crank the sub volume up, 2 O'clock sounds reasonable if you tried 12:00 already.
3. Toe in your L/R to aim at your main sitting position.
4. Read the Audyssey instruction carefully.
5. Re-run Audyssey, make sure the mic is a few inches above the seat back if it is high back and do it for all 8 positions. It is important to follow the instructions 100%, no sort cuts.

I agree Audyssey XT may not be 100% accurate on setting the distance and levels, but in general, it should be very close, especially the levels.
The main reason for double checking is that individual mic sensitivity varies. I have two of the same model audyssey mics, one sets the levels much louder, there other problem is that audyssey sometimes makes errors both in level and distance in smaller rooms or when speakers are near room boundaries, I've had it set my left surround a whole half a foot further than the right, even though it's equidistant. This obviously led to an image shift towards the left speaker. It's also important to check and adjust by ear. For whatever reason, my left speaker sounds louder than the right, even though they measure the same, causing a shift in stereo imaging without manual level adjustment.

Audyssey can get you into the ballpark, but if something doesn't sound right, it probably isn't.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even with a umik, you can't set a subwoofer by equal spl alone because of the limited bandwidth pink noise, to properly set it, you'd need to use the RTA and adjust it for equal in band gain (if using internal pink noise, otherwise +10dB) this can be approximated with a C weighted spl meter by setting it at about 3-4dB lower than the speakers.

Whut?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The main reason for double checking is that individual mic sensitivity varies. I have two of the same model audyssey mics, one sets the levels much louder, there other problem is that audyssey sometimes makes errors both in level and distance in smaller rooms or when speakers are near room boundaries, I've had it set my left surround a whole half a foot further than the right, even though it's equidistant. This obviously led to an image shift towards the left speaker. It's also important to check and adjust by ear. For whatever reason, my left speaker sounds louder than the right, even though they measure the same, causing a shift in stereo imaging without manual level adjustment.

Audyssey can get you into the ballpark, but if something doesn't sound right, it probably isn't.

If the mic is the problem I would think it should affect both channel equally, but anything is possible.

Regarding the errors in distance (except subs and towers), there seem to be more complaints from non xt32 users.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the mic is the problem I would think it should affect both channel equally, but anything is possible.

Regarding the errors in distance (except subs and towers), there seem to be more complaints from non xt32 users.
Is .5 ft an error or his room?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You meant 6 inches? That could depend on how you measure even if measuring tape or laser is used, I mean the point of focus, the geometry in3 D etc
.5 ft is indeed 6 inches. Could be 3.1 inches rounded up...

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai

Could be, all I'm saying is it doesn't hurt to double check.

B

Borabis

Enthusiast
Turned out the Receiver was Faulty. I lost the Hdmi video signal while watching a movie. Did 3 factory resets before i got that to finally work. That was last night. This Morning the video started to flicker,and all of my settings were wrong. Thought it best to return it before i come to a point when i can't

Returned the receiver this morning,they didn't have another 1400h so i took a Sony STR DN1080 instead. Sounds great,but so did the Denon until it let me down. Even when i first got the denon some things about the user interface seemed buggy to me.

Unfortunately i lost Audessey which i liked,but not enough to keep i buggy receiver .

Thanks to everyone who took the time to try and help me with this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bummer, but makes more sense now. DCAC by all accounts doesn't compare to Audyssey, tho. You could still order a Denon and return the Sony when it arrives :)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Bummer, but makes more sense now. DCAC by all accounts doesn't compare to Audyssey, tho. You could still order a Denon and return the Sony when it arrives :)
Don't use dcac at all. It's always screwed everything up but distance for me. Even set the sub 10dB too loud.

B

Borabis

Enthusiast
Don't use dcac at all. It's always screwed everything up but distance for me. Even set the sub 10dB too loud.

i turned it off for the reasons you gave, it had my speakers set to large at 120hz crossover so i changed those settings and turned it off.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i turned it off for the reasons you gave, it had my speakers set to large at 120hz crossover so i changed those settings and turned it off.
If it had speakers set to large then there wouldn't be a crossover....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis