M

maximus73

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I recently moved into a new home where the builders pre-wired the house for sound. &nbsp;In my home theatre room there is a run that is labeled &quot;subwoofer&quot;. &nbsp;This cable is a thick yellow cable with two pairs of speaker wires inside(red&amp;black, white&amp;green). &nbsp;The one end of the cable(receiver end) has a device on it that takes the two pair and turns them into a single rca input. &nbsp;The other end has nothing but the 2 pair of speaker wires sticking out. &nbsp;My questions are: &nbsp;What is that converter on the receiver end called and what should I look for when going to buy a subwoofer? &nbsp;Thanks</font>

<font color='#000000'>Strange.. usually, you'd just run a single cable and then split the end at the subwoofer with a Y-cable to feed into both inputs of your subwoofer... Your scheme seems to indicate that they ran two cable runs and joined the end at your receiver.

If the other end isn't terminated with RCAs, you'll need to do that, provided you are using line-level inputs to your subwoofer.

See this article for more info.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>uhh hi everyone... i am a complete noob when it come to AV so i probably sound like a idiot.

ok i just bought a reciever(pioneer vsx-d411) its cheap but o well. anyway i have 2 sony xplode subs and i was wondering how to connect them? cause the cable i have has 2 wires on both ends, and my reciever only has 1 jack for the sub. i was wondering if there is a adapter that i can get or something? any help is greatly appreciated...thx</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>if its possible &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>or can i &nbsp;just hook one up somehow?
can i like put a rca connecter on the end of the wires or something?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'>Strange.. usually, you'd just run a single cable and then split the end at the subwoofer with a Y-cable to feed into both inputs of your subwoofer... Your scheme seems to indicate that they ran two cable runs and joined the end at your receiver.

If the other end isn't terminated with RCAs, you'll need to do that, provided you are using line-level inputs to your subwoofer.

See this article for more info.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>hawke,

Do we still need to use the Y cable for subs as most of them are set to bridge the signal when a mono RCA cable is attached to the L channel? I know Yamaha and M&amp;K doesnt reccomend using Y cable for RCA in.</font>

<font color='#008080'>Depends on the sub. Velodyne CHT Series need the Y-adapter. I don't know what model sub maximus73 has.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>so is it possible guys? if so can u tell me how?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>does anyone even know if its possible?</font>

<font color='#008080'>You can connect either a speaker level input to a car sub that accepts AMPLIFIED audio signal (but it will require the sub to have an integrated crossover), OR you can connect the LINE LEVEL output of the receiver to a self-powered car &nbsp;subwoofer.

I'm not familiar with the model you have - but there are the guidelines to follow. Connectors aren't a important as the presence of a crossover, or the sub being self-powered.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>uhh ok, can i get that in english??? jk &nbsp;i am a noob though so could u explain a bit more?

by the way i have a pioneer vsx-d411 reciever and 2 10&quot; sony explode subs

the receiver has a rca jack for the sub and the subs have the pressure-hold things for the wires.the subs arent self powered either.

would it be eaiser if i got somesort of powered box or something?</font>

<font color='#008080'>&quot;You can't get there from here.&quot;

Hang loose and save up for a powered subwoofer.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>uhh ok, can i get that in english??? jk  i am a noob though so could u explain a bit more?

by the way i have a pioneer vsx-d411 reciever and 2 10&quot; sony explode subs

the receiver has a rca jack for the sub and the subs have the pressure-hold things for the wires.the subs arent self powered either.

would it be eaiser if i got somesort of powered box or something?</font>
<font color='#000000'>If your subs have built in crossovers as I suspect most of them do, then all you have to do is connect your receiver's amp section to the sub and then take the connection from the sub to your main speakers.

Eventualy, a powered sub would be the best choice for you as it would tax your receiver less and enable you to get better performance out of it.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>k thx guys ill get a powered sub... sounds like it be the best option i appreciate the help</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>do u guys have any recamendations for a mid-grade powered sub?</font>

G

Guest : <font color='#000000'>do u guys have any recamendations for a mid-grade powered sub?</font>
<font color='#000000'>The Yamaha SW-320 is avaialable at e-bay for $340 and the awesome YST-SW 800 with class D 800 watts amp and fantastic sound is for $500 at the same e-bay.

Check them out.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis