Subwoofer Eq Suggestions

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I put up the two bass traps and they helped but not much and more above 100Hz not so much on the huge dip around 90. Still working on it.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
That's pretty good. You'll be able to clean up the rest with EQ.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I actually got it a little better infact. Also, I sat down once again and to mess with the mains and ended up towing them in a bit. Pretty happy with how everything sounds now :). Thanks all. I will update again once I get the SMS on Tuesday.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
If we find the best place without causes and issue when they're in, then we shift a little and find a place that doesn't hurt much raw but doesn't cause an issue with treatments fixing one thing and messing up something else.
This makes sense. Thanks Brian. :)

No amount of moving, within limits, seems to help this craptacular frequency response...
Ha! Think yourself lucky. :D :(

Buckle-meister

...you have some treatments on the way or an eq?
I have treatment already. What you saw was the bare room response from 2-channel. The treatment and my two subs make inroads in smothing things out (much experimentation is still to be done). Nevertheless I'll almost certainly not be able to achieve the response from my last living room. :(

Patience is key. :)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I have treatment already. What you saw was the bare room response from 2-channel. The treatment and my two subs make inroads in smothing things out (much experimentation is still to be done). Nevertheless I'll almost certainly not be able to achieve the response from my last living room. :(

Patience is key. :)
I think its time for you to move! :). Good luck smoothing that out, I will continue to play with mine as well especially when the SMS comes :D

Buckle-meister

Good luck smoothing that out, I will continue to play with mine as well especially when the SMS comes.
Thanks. Actually, I had the thought the other day that perhaps now is the time for me to seriously consider getting an EQ.

(sigh); more money. :( :D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
SMS-1 is Hooked up!

The unit is awesome. Easy to use and set up. Biggest complaint was the fact that I couldn't use my tripod with it right out of the box.

Here is the before on the sms-1:

After EQ:

Sounds great too :)

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
There ya go. You've gong through the brutal initiation on how painstaking it can be to really get a room dialed in right. Granted, you have some restrictions that make it a bit harder but the concepts are the same. Yes, it can be very frustrating but after you do it a few times, you'll get a handle on what is causing what and things get easier (an RTA makes it easier too but most people don't have one).

Just one comment. You said that you had the xover on the mains and the sub at 80Hz. I hope that's just on the processor/receiver and not on the sub itself. The xover on the sub should be set as high as possible or disabled if at all possible (assuming you're using the xover in the processor/receiver) or you're getting double xover, potential phases weirdness, etc.

I'm also a bit puzzled by the dip all the way down around 40Hz when your brought the mains in with the sub. Normally, one will see something appear like that but not that low.

Bryan

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Ohh, don't worry, my receiver is doing all the crossovers. I have the subs internal crossover off.

I enjoyed the whole process, sometimes frustrating, but always rewarding. Plus it was great to sitdown and listen to my sub after being adjusted. I get to look forward to it again in a year too, because I will be moving around then.

I have no idea about the dip, but it seems to be taken care of so I won't complain.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Ohh, don't worry, my receiver is doing all the crossovers. I have the subs internal crossover off.
If you set the sub crossover to the same frequency or just a tad above the receiver one, it will give you a sharper cut off of the higher ones.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
If you set the sub crossover to the same frequency or just a tad above the receiver one, it will give you a sharper cut off of the higher ones.
Sounds like its worth a try. To be honest the day I got the sub I set the crossover to the highest it will go and haven't touched it since. I have just been using my receiver to cross it over. I will try it when I get a chance and post the results, so probably tomorrow.

Thanks mtry.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja

I enjoyed the whole process, sometimes frustrating, but always rewarding. Plus it was great to sitdown and listen to my sub after being adjusted. I get to look forward to it again in a year too, because I will be moving around then.

I have no idea about the dip, but it seems to be taken care of so I won't complain.
I wonder what will happen when you add yet another sub. You know you're gonna do it. :D

Signed,

The Devil

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder what will happen when you add yet another sub. You know you're gonna do it. :D

Signed,

The Devil
Ill sign a contract for my soul...but it has to be a big sub if I'm gonna do that... :D

You and your disease!

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
2 subs can be a blessing and/or a curse. You think you had a hard time getting your existing setup tweaked? Add another sub into the mix... Don't get me wrong, another sub in the back of the room CAN make a huge difference but it's 10x the PITA factor to try to get it to blend with the mains and the other sub, stay in phase, not cause cancellation issues, etc.

On the other hand, IF you have the flexibility to place it where you need to, you can play games by inducing a peak in response from that sub at the seating position where the other parts of the system are causing a null, etc.

Not trying to scare you off - just get ready for a weekend of moving and tweaking. This is the time where an RTA is worth it's weight in gold.

Bryan

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Not trying to scare you off - just get ready for a weekend of moving and tweaking. This is the time where an RTA is worth it's weight in gold.
I don't think a sub is in my future, although it would be nice the SMS took up the rest of my audio budget. Spending time working on something I love is never scary, it just gets frustrating after a while ;). You are right about the RTA though, it helped me position my woofer even better than I could with REW simply because its constantly running.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice buddy..... looks like you have a nice house curve going there....

Glad you were able to file things down to where they are acceptable and I would imagine that it sounds great.... How do you like the SMS-1... Great piece ehh.. It has its own drawbacks, like the abrupt low Freq. roll off, but not enough that I would want something else... Also that is a serious plus for those going DIY and want to control possible damage from really low tones going to your subs..... You should see all the guys that smash their subs on the first trial run...

You know, you can buy those drivers for pretty cheap and build your own cabinets, 2 sealed 12" TC-2000's would only cost about $500.00.... plus wood and your effort... $275 - $300 for a Behringer 2500 or you could go smaller..

Come on, you know you want more bass now...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I have been watching your project warp ;). I am very interested in seeing how it turns out. Right now spending money on more audio stuff is out of the question, but there is always the future :).

Currently I am reading up on Toole's work as well as other speaker design books and articles as I want to at least attempt to design my own speakers, we will see how good they turn out when I get there. Still have some learning to do.

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
I am very keen to buy an SMS-1 but I've heard reports that the low end roll off is steep. I spoke to curt from Velodyne and he tells me that there is a 1.5 db roll off at 20 hz.

But at the same time, I heard reports at home theater shack and home theater hifi that there is roll off starting at 25 hz and it's not small. Otherwise people wouldn't have been bothered by it. Even with 5 hz subsonic filer, people are reporting roll off much higher up.

As I said, I am keen to get one but if this is really the case then do you think there will be a software upgrade to remove the crossover altogher ?

Sorry if I jumped into the wrong thread but seeing as though the SMS-1 is being discussed I might as well mention this. Thanks !

--Regards,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis