Subwoofer cones - concave only vs. concave with dome in center -- why different?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I suspect it has more to do with manufacturing process than sound.
There may be some dispersion benefits at higher frequencies, but for a sub, flip a coin!

Zarkoff500

Zarkoff500

Enthusiast
I've wondered about this as well. Wouldn't a concave driver move more air for each stroke at any given frequency? The steeper the cone slope, the more air that occupies the space that has to be moved. Thinking about a PA460 vs an Ultimax. I am neglecting excursion though.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
and weight, wattage, how much is needed for an adequate subwoofer?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The “dome” is called a dust cap. See posts 7, 8, 10 at lovingthehd’s link. The last one talks about inverted caps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Well, that was a very interesting series of posts. Thanks for the link!

Here is some of the information I gathered (basically paraphrasing what I read):
  • Most speakers employ dust caps. Some are dome shaped (aka D-cap or "proud" dome) and some are flat or inverted (no dome)..
  • Without the dust cap, there would be hole open to the back of the driver structure. Usually, an airtight situation is desirable and the dust cover provides that. However, some dust caps are indeed vented to provide an air flow over the voice coil assembly
  • A dust cap can be designed to affect the frequency response of a driver.
  • The speaker diaphragm is conical and a dust cap gives it much more stiffness than a flat piece of cardboard would .
  • Flat or inverted dust covers are used on diaphragms that are coated with metal by some process. It may be that these are stronger and thus do not need the dome shape. Or it may be a visual design thing.
  • A bigger dust cap gives the impression that it is covering up a hole of larger diameter, but that is not necessarily true.
  • Some believe that an inverted dust cap dome is more rigid than a non-inverted, or "proud" dome. There are a number of variables that make such a blanket assumption risky.
  • EDIT: Saw this in a speaker review: " In addition the driver now boasts an extruded dust cap, which is designed to make the driver more responsive."

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis