Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I recognize all of those guys! Blasts from the past! That was actually pretty entertaining.
Right?!
I think Too $hort's contribution is my favorite:
[Verse 3: Too $hort]
My bitch got ass like two 18s
Her favorite Too $hort song is in those jeans (Shake That Monkey)
Shake it, baby, if you like this song
Do a nasty dance every time they turn it on
It's got more bass than baseball (Baseball)
She down on her knees, she want a facial (She want a facial)
I gotta give her what she want
Turn it up loud, and let that poop bump
Everybody love the funk (Funk) slumpin' in the trunk (Trunk)
You in the back seat wishin' you was in the front
She said somethin', asked me if I heard
But bitch, I can't hear one motherfuckin' word (Motherfuckin' word)
Bitch
His opening and ending darts are the best!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
if anyone knows about Porcupine Tree - check out their DVD or BluRay of their Arriving Somewhere concert and play Hate Song. Midway they have a bass note that just blows you away. Lead is Steven Wilson. He's known as a stickler for superior sound in his recordings
I can agree with you there. The sound on the Arriving Somewhere concert is fabulous. It's one of those recordings where I question whether I need new speakers after all. Great stuff.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can agree with you there. The sound on the Arriving Somewhere concert is fabulous. It's one of those recordings where I question whether I need new speakers after all. Great stuff.
Did you get your hands on the 5.1 mix? That's the one I have and it's done really well.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Did you get your hands on the 5.1 mix? That's the one I have and it's done really well.
Yes, but I have to experiment some more. My Raspberry Pi does not have an Operating System (OS) installed that supports 6 channel PCM so it down mixes to 2 channels. I tried forcing Roon to bypass all DSP and feed the Pi a 5.1 mix and it was all distorted. Might not have enough processing power or it could be an OS issue.

Then tried my laptop, but it lacks HDMI so I have an adapter that takes the VGA out and USB audio and converts it to HDMI. Works great on YouTube videos. It also down mixed to 2 channel audio. :( Turns out that Windows detects the USB portion of the adapter as a 2 channel headphone. May not be 6 channel compatible for proper audio pass through.

Last up will be my old PS3. It sends blueray audio as 6 channel PCM and works with the AVRs Dolby DTS setting. Have to see if Plex tries anything funky with the format or not. The age of my gear is catching up with me. :) Need a newer Pi, laptop and Playstation!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I get 5.1 using Plex on my PS3. Quite a different experience. Places you right in the audience in the arena. Very bass heavy though with the PS3 (and quite deep in parts too). Need to install Roon on my wife's laptop, which is newer, and see if it passes 5.1 over HDMI with a flatter response. Still using the two Canton subs and they've been up to the task so far. Haven't tortured them with the bass sweeps yet though. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I get 5.1 using Plex on my PS3. Quite a different experience. Places you right in the audience in the arena. Very bass heavy though with the PS3 (and quite deep in parts too). Need to install Roon on my wife's laptop, which is newer, and see if it passes 5.1 over HDMI with a flatter response. Still using the two Canton subs and they've been up to the task so far. Haven't tortured them with the bass sweeps yet though. ;)
That gosh darned strong bass! :p

That's why I asked if you had the 5.1 version. I found the bass much stronger when not downmixed to stereo. I'll bet those Canton subs do a fine job for pretty much all but the deepest movie bass, and I think they look pretty sharp.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That gosh darned strong bass! :p

That's why I asked if you had the 5.1 version. I found the bass much stronger when not downmixed to stereo. I'll bet those Canton subs do a fine job for pretty much all but the deepest movie bass, and I think they look pretty sharp.
Ah, so it's likely not just my PS3. I ended up dialing the subs back a bit to level the bass out. Did you notice how little they use the centre channel in this mix? I walked up to my centre speaker several times and there was nothing coming out. Then a keyboard phrase or audience noise would come through. Main instruments and vocals are all in the L+R and surrounds. Works fine with the phantom centre image that is produced. Interesting mix.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you notice how little they use the centre channel in this mix?
I did notice that! In fact I'm glad you bring it up because I wasn't 100% sure if it's the recording or something wrong with my copy. I leaned toward the former because it doesn't sound like anything is missing. But yeah, it did notice not a lot of info was going to the center speaker.

As far as the bass... I love it so I leave it. I mean, to do anything else would alter the way the artist meant it to be heard! :p

That or I'm just a basshead, lol. The bass is definitely cranked up at the source tho, so I don't think your PS3 is misbehaving or anything.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This isn't living in the nether regions between our hearing and structural damage, unfortunately. It did remind me a little of Lorn, however, and got my subs a little happy time:

Enjoy! :cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Playing through some more findings from the last Bandcamp Friday... Third time I bought Arni's complete digital discography from his label Moatun 7. Gotta keep up with his prolific releases!

I've enjoyed this one a few times...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK. I lied.
Sharing this because I'm a fan or Lee Anthony Norris, AKA Norken and Metamatics, and part of Autumn Of Communion.
This little collaboration with _Nyquist is just what the doctor ordered. The second cut gets vibrational, proper.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis