S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
More pure cool, and more samples from Dune! Fanu - Lightless. Punchy kick drums mixed in some heavily syncopated percussion, a very moody and great D'n'B tune, now a decade old but this one really is timeless to my ears. Best listened to on a quality system between 12:30 AM to 1:00 AM for perfection.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Not very deep bass, but I am loving this bass line. Really killer sound on this tune, I stumbled on it in a late night mix and it really woke me up. Just a taste of this made me want to crank my system hard, great stuff: VHS Head - Camera Eyes.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Let your subs have some fun with this tune: Dyssomnia & Gamma - Delusion. Chilled out dubstep tune with a deep and chunky bass line that drops from 60 Hz to 30 Hz on every beat. Nice, simple but atmospheric tune.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I listen mostly to my desktop PC system, it's not bad. I have two Hsu ULS-15s, and Hsu HC-1 mk2s for speakers. The HC-1s are not optimal for desktop PC speakers, but I brought them over from another system, and they sound fine, and I don't want to shell out for more speakers. They are a bit laid back which is good for near-field listening. Receiver is an old Pioneer Elite workhorse, made in 2000, it weighs 75 lbs, it is a beast. Here is a picture of it in my cave:
So why are the subs on your desk and not on the floor? Nice setup I need that center. :) Also can I ask you your age? 30's 40's? Just wondering...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That is my gaming PC in my cave. I used to have the subs on the floor, but I thought it would be cooler to have them on my desktop, for a real head-banging system. If you look carefully at the decor in the back, you will see laser disc cases, and that should date me. Yes, a guy pushing his 40s..

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yep had a feeling we had the same age range in common. :) So do you get rattling or is there some sort of mat underneath? So are you gonna get a bigger screen to match the the subs? :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There is some felt underneath the subs, not to stop rattling but to prevent the finish from being scratched. The subs themselves are so heavy that the sheer weight prevents rattling. No plans to get a bigger screen at this time; there is barely enough room for the monitor, speakers, and subs as it is.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Kryptic Minds again - Six Degrees. When I heard this one pop up in the movie Elysium, I was all like "NO WAY!" but the reality was YES WAY. The best use of dubstep in a movie thus far. Straight up badass tune.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Something to help you get into the Halloween spirit: Noisia - Monster. This tune completely owned me when I first heard it. Perhaps not a classic to most people, but one of my all-time favorite Drum'n'Bass tunes. Not a whole lot of deep bass, but all kinds of mid-bass, and a nice crunchy bass line. Just a great tune to play loud.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I ran across this tune in a mix just now, and I have to put it here before I forget it Bedlam Tapes - K'an. Killer bass line and beat, I love the way it sounds.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
An interesting bassline from one of those minimalist dubstep tunes I am so fond of - check out the FFT. Another good late night fugue state song: Kaiju - Lone Wolf

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Oh man, this tune... that first bout of vintage synths just floors me. Great stuff, with a low, mean bass line. Ultimate 3 am fugue state tune.

Here is a look at part of the bass line:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Great bass line in this song and a couple bass drops that go below 30 hz. One of my favorites.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Chevelle: Punchline

Some really cool bass going on between what sounds like some synth and the drums. It pulses through the whole song gradually changing frequency and the bass kicks are super deep. (yes I'm on a Chevelle kick lately)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Great bass line in this song and a couple bass drops that go below 30 hz. One of my favorites.

Here is a spectrogram of the drops in that "Under The Knife" tune. Those drops don't quite go down to 30 Hz.

Chevelle: Punchline

Some really cool bass going on between what sounds like some synth and the drums. It pulses through the whole song gradually changing frequency and the bass kicks are super deep. (yes I'm on a Chevelle kick lately)
However, this 'Punchline' song does have a lot of energy in the 30s though. Most rock songs do not dig this low with this much energy:

Now that is subwoofer candy!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was hoping you'd graph those! That surprises me about Under the Knife. There are 3 bass drops in that song that sound/feel very deep. The first one is around 2 minutes in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis